Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jap2112 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jap2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Laptop
    Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 8:10am
Budget:
$1,500 to $2,500 but very flexible. Would like to purchase a keyboard, mouse and additional display. Laptop.

Expectations:
Fast boot-up. Would like to use multiple displays when working.

Usage:
Primarily gaming. Starcraft II and Skyrim (heavily graphic modded) are favorites. It will be a secondary work PC, for which I will need multiple monitors.

Special Needs:
Would like the temperature to be comfortable.

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
I am having trouble deciding between 17.3" and 15.6" monitor. Also, I want to laptop to handle graphics well, but considering the "older games" I play, even the outdated graphics card can probably handle them. I would like to balance dollars spent with future benefits. Thanks.
jap2112
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 9:49am
Hi jap2112...  The size of the screen is really a personal decision, but to me, if its a carry-around laptop then the 15.6" might be easier.  If its stationary most of the time, then the 17.3" would be my pick for the more real estate to play on.  Strong

The Krypton level 2 with its 970M card will play most games very well on the screen's 1920x1080 resolution.  The 980M in the Krypton level 3 will give you about 35% better fps and would be more desirable if your external monitor was more than a 1920x1080 screen.

Here's a link to check out....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204/3

The level 3 also has more ram and a larger SSD.  8GB ram is very good for gaming and the larger SSD depends how many games you want on the SSD . 

It is all about the budget.   Big%20Smile
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 4:08pm
I would agree with bprat. There is one question I have to ask though... why would you need to purchase a keyboard with a laptop?   
jap2112 View Drop Down

Quote jap2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Snaike

why would you need to purchase a keyboard with a laptop?   

I'm in the tax and accounting business, so a separate numeric keypad from the letters is very useful. When I am working, this does make data entry extremely quick. Now that you mention it, from the pictures, it looks like the 17" laptops have the numbers separate, so I may not need it.

Are multiple SSDs in RAID 0 useful, or can you obtain similar performance with just one larger SSD? The videos on YouTube showing 8 second boot-up is certainly nice.
jap2112
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 5:53am

Hey Jap, just wanted to bring something up that maybe you hadn't considered. I work in accounting as well so I know where you are coming from with the keypad for data entry. Have you looked into these at all?

The akp-150 is only slightly larger than a smart phone, with a retractable USB cable. Takes up very little space in my bag. You can get them on the cheaper or pricey side, whichever you prefer. I'd just hate to see you jump for the bigger screen solely for keypad purposes, if the 15.6" is something you'd prefer.

Good luck!
jap2112 View Drop Down

Quote jap2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 6:11am
Hello Eggy:

I have had those, still do. But for some reason, when I use the numlock button, it also locks the respective keys on the keyboard too. It has done that on every laptop I have owned. I need to keep the number keys separate from the letter keys. Do you have that trouble with yours?
jap2112
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 6:14am
Very interesting. Are you referring to the numbers hidden behind the letter keys, i.e. J, K, L, N, M, ',' etc? My laptop requires you hold the 'Fn' key (down near left-alt) in order to work those, so I can use my USB keypad as well as type without any hindrance. That's a bummer, I wonder if there's a work-around for that.
jap2112 View Drop Down

Quote jap2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:52am
I am going to have to try that. Would be funny if after all these years, that is all I would have had to do

Any comment as to the SSD drives and the use of RAID 0?
jap2112
jap2112 View Drop Down

Quote jap2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Here's a link to check out....http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204/3The level 3 also has more ram and a larger SSD.  8GB ram is very good for gaming and the larger SSD depends how many games you want on the SSD .  It is all about the budget.   Big%20Smile

Thanks for the info. Here is a build I put together. After reading the link, I think the 870 is really all I need from a graphics card perspective. I do think I would like the small SSD for boot up speed. Any thoughts on adding a second SSD for RAID 0; or maybe just ditch the small SSD and the HDD for a single, larger SSD.

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lance 15.6 Inch Laptop (Model: S:8258)
Display: 15.6 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Anti-glare) LED-Backlit Display
Core Components
Processor: !SPECIAL PRICE: Intel Core i7 4810MQ (Up to 3.80Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) (LIMITED TIME ONLY)
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage / Connectivity
mSATA SSD: - No Thanks
Storage Drive 1: 120GB Solid State - Samsung 840 EVO
Storage Drive 2: 750GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Wireless Card: Killer Wireless-N 1202 Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.0 Module
Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M 6GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus
Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Accessories / Goodies
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks
Extra Charger: - No Thanks
Extra Battery: - No Thanks
Carry Bag: - No Thanks
Audio: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
jap2112
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 1:10pm
I obviously can't speak to it since I don't have one, but my brother convinced me not to do the SSD's in RAID 0 - reason being, the 840/850s are already supposedly lightning fast, and with RAID 0 you run the risk of losing everything. 
On the rig I just bought, I opted for a 256GB SSD with a 1TB HDD. 1TB is probably more than  I'll ever need, and the 256 is big enough where I can have the OS plus a couple of key games without bogging down the main drive. I personally like to have the OS on its (mostly) own drive, but if that's not a big deal to you, I see no issues with going for a single, larger, SSD.

Either way, shaping up to be a dynamite laptop!
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 1:20pm
Jap2112,

You shouldn't need the external numeric keypad.  The Krypton definitely has it.  I don't buy laptops without them either, so I know your pain when it's missing.

You said you were going to use external monitors, so if you plan to have a monitor with resolution higher than 1920x1080 resolution, you should spring for the 880M and not the 870M.  I run heavily modded Skyrim on my 2560x1080 Ultrawide and there was definitely a drop in frame rate even on my 880M.

Plus, you should consider what you'll be playing 3-5 years from now, and a more powerful GPU will keep your new laptop going for a good while, even if you don't play bleeding edge games.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 1:30pm
I have no experience with RAID , but RAID 0 does appear to work better with a SSD than a HDD.   Even though the SSD is blazing fast, RAID 0 is up to 50% faster. Here's a link that talks of it...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2365767/feed-your-greed-for-speed-by-installing-ssds-in-raid-0.html

I would think this is more for professional apps, servers, etc and not so much for gaming.   
 Post Reply Post Reply