FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Laptop Config. Inputs please!

Post Date: 2015-05-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diehard44501 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Laptop Config. Inputs please!
    Posted: 06 May 2015 at 6:34am
Hi everyone. This is my first time purchasing a gaming/customizable laptop and I would like any and all input and advice. Pricing was the main reason I avoided doing this because of school but after having problems with brand name laptops like hp, Toshiba, acer, etc. I decided to go with this option. I have a nice desktop right now but am in need for a laptop for portability. I do light/casual gaming like League of Legends once per day, Stronghold, etc.but mostly videos and school work. In all honesty, I just want a laptop that will last me 5+years, that's reliable and that I can trust. Budget wise, I really would like to stay below $2,000 I chose the Krypton laptop because it was the lest costly with a built-in optical drive. Here are the specs & configs:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Krypton 17.3 Inch Laptop (Model: S:8298)

Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Anti-glare) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 4710MQ (Up to 3.50Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage Drive 1: 128GB Solid State - Samsung 850 PRO
Storage Drive 2: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Wireless Card: 802.11 B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 6GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks
Extra Charger: - No Thanks
Extra Battery: - No Thanks
Carry Bag: - No Thanks
Audio: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Also what you recommend overclocking CPU once to get more performance?
Thank you.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:50am
Hi Diehard44501,

You can never have too many computers. Especially if they are from Digital Storm.

I am not a laptop guy but we have many members who use the Krypton and will be along to help you out. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 06 May 2015 at 9:51am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:57am
"Paging Dr. Roykirk.... Dr. Roykirk... Krypton discussion here."

That'll get him moving. Roykirk is the Krypton/Skyrim man and he'll be able to talk to you about all things for your laptop.

For me, I'll just bid you "Welcome!" to the DS forums. Nice to have you.   
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 10:56am

I noticed you changed the storage drive #1 to the SDD (good choice) but did not pick a drive to go with it.

I'd suggest the 1TB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
[+$120]

Other than that, IMO heat is the biggest killer of laptops so I'd recommend the ZALMAN High Performance Notebook Cooler NC11.

Overclocking = heat production for not much gain on lower end laptops so I wouldn't recommend this.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"

Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 11:43am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi Diehard44501,

You can never have too many computers. Especially if they are from Digital Storm.

I am not a laptop guy but we have many members who use the Krypton and will be along to help you out. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Frank

Of course not. Once I graduate you will be seeing me again but for a desktop

Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Pacesetter

I noticed you changed the storage drive #1 to the SDD (good choice) but did not pick a drive to go with it.

I'd suggest the 1TB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
[+$120]

Other than that, IMO heat is the biggest killer of laptops so I'd recommend the ZALMAN High Performance Notebook Cooler NC11.

Overclocking = heat production for not much gain on lower end laptops so I wouldn't recommend this.

Thank you for the info on overclocking. I will definitely avoid it. I do not know as much about computers as most so please correct me if i'm wrong but isn't 1 hard drive good enough for a laptop? I'm not even using 128GB on my desktop (yet) but I do know SSD are better overall than HDD that is why I switched. Why do you recommend a second drive?

Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 11:50am
I was also looking at the Forbus. As stated above, I mainly chose the Krypton because it has an internal optical drive and i've heard a lot of positive things but price has me in a vice (did not mean to rhyme there) Why go with either or?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 12:23pm
Windows is usually about 30GB but can use upwards of 70GB and many games today are in the 6GB range + upgrades and patches. There is a game coming out that figures in at 60GB. Programs you could use in school also factor in. Chemistry, physics, high math, composition, etc.

I have ~85GB on my SDD and 240GB on my HDD. It can add up quickly.

I would suggest using the 128Gb SDD for windows, antivirus and programs/applications directly associated with windows ([dot]net 3.5/4.0), networking, etc and putting everything else on the HDD. (games, school work, pictures, etc. You are much better off to have too much storage than not enough.

If this is your primary computer and looking to the future, I'd get the second HDD.

Vanquish II Ultimate.

Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 5:26pm

Windows is usually about 30GB but can use upwards of 70GB and many games today are in the 6GB range + upgrades and patches. There is a game coming out that figures in at 60GB. Programs you could use in school also factor in. Chemistry, physics, high math, composition, etc.

I have ~85GB on my SDD and 240GB on my HDD. It can add up quickly.

I would suggest using the 128Gb SDD for windows, antivirus and programs/applications directly associated with windows ([dot]net 3.5/4.0), networking, etc and putting everything else on the HDD. (games, school work, pictures, etc. You are much better off to have too much storage than not enough.

If this is your primary computer and looking to the future, I'd get the second HDD.

Understood and agreed. Thank you for the response.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 5:41pm

Happy to help.

GL in all you do.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Snaike

"Paging Dr. Roykirk.... Dr. Roykirk... Krypton discussion here."

That'll get him moving. Roykirk is the Krypton/Skyrim man and he'll be able to talk to you about all things for your laptop.

For me, I'll just bid you "Welcome!" to the DS forums. Nice to have you.   

Sorry, I've been away for a few days.  Where were we? Evil

Based on your need for keeping the cost low, your configuration looks good.  My only concern, just like Pacesetter's, is that your only drive is 128GB SSD.  That seems a little small if you plan to install more than a few large apps or games.  If you're not planning on playing more than a few games and not going to install the entirety of Adobe Creative Cloud, then you should be good.  You also have the option of installing another storage drive at a later date.  You're definitely going to need that if you have a lot of data you'll need access to in school.

So you could try out the 128GB, but I'm guessing you'll want more storage soon.  If you can.

Good CPU and GPU choices.  They should last you a good while.  The Krypton has good cooling, but you will want to regularly blow out the dust from the fans.

Tl;dr: Get that second hard drive if you can.  Otherwise you're good to go.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 9:11am
After some sleep, maybe I can give you a good perspective:

If cost is one of your strongest considerations, this build still works.  RAM and the hard drive are two of the most-easily-upgraded components on a laptop, so you can skimp on those now.  Just make sure that your 8GB of RAM is a single SO-DIMM.  The Krypton is upgradeable to 32GB, but two of the slots are hard to reach without taking apart the laptop significantly.  With one slot empty and one containing the 8GB SO-DIMM, you can jump to 16GB without any problem whatsoever, when you have the money to add some upgrades.

As for the hard drive, you might be better served by getting a larger platter drive now, so you have the room for games, apps, and data, and then adding an SSD and reinstalling Windows when you can afford that upgrade.  SSD prices continue to drop, so by the time you're ready, they shouldn't be too expensive for a lot more storage.  The Krypton fits two drives, and installing a second is not a difficult task at all.

That means you should focus your current cash on the CPU and GPU as those parts are ones that you'll need to last for those years that you expect to use this laptop.

I've generated a new configuration for you that only differs in hard drive and GPU.

It comes in at $2005, so just over the 2K limit you said you have, but the GPU upgrade is significant.  A 980M will continue to be adequate for longer than the 970.  Also, the 8GB of VRAM allows it to work even better in texture-heavy games (especially if you use mods) than the 6GB in the 970M, although the 6GB is pretty darn good as well.

The 750GB drive has plenty of storage, it's 7200RPM, and so it's a pretty good platter drive that's a good start.

Or if you think the 980M is overkill and the price jump too high, stick with the 970M, keep your laptop well under your budget, and then save the money for an upgrade in the near future.  Also, if you plan to watch movies on your laptop, and you have Blu-rays, the Blu-ray player is only $57 more than the DVD burner.

Hope this helps you with your decision.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 1:01pm

Rotkirk's build and comments make a lot of sense.

You can add the SDD as a boot drive later and migrate windows to it.

The disadvantage of a slower boot time is far outweighed by the advantages he discussed.

Thanks for chiming in, Roykirk.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 2:16pm
Thanks, Pacesetter.

Also, one caveat regarding my comment on the Blu-ray player (if that's even a factor for DieHard): you'll also need to purchase additional software to play Blu-rays, so that's probably another $50 if you go with that option.  No DS builds include Blu-ray-playing-capable software, only DVD-playing-capable.  So, realistically, the cost of a Blu-ray optical drive is $100 more rather than $57 more.

Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 8:13pm
You are the expert Roykirk! Thank you for dropping in. I looked at the new configuration and it is a bit much upgrading the GPU but I will consider it. I will probably stay away from the Blu-Ray player because of a lack of Blu-Ray dvds. What if I went with a 256GB SSD, would you still recommend having a second HDD? Also, what is your input on a Forbus? All the reviews I have read are about the Krypton and how amazing it is but I haven't seen anything about the Forbus. I am mainly staying away from it because it doesn't have an internal optical drive. Last question, do you believe everyone should go with a premium thermal compound instead of the stock? Thermal compound is important to the longevity of the computer (as I was told) but I do not know the difference between DS stock and thermal.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Diehard44501

...What if I went with a 256GB SSD, would you still recommend having a second HDD?

Absolutely a second hard drive.  I actually recommend that a system drive SSD be at least that large, and not go with a 128GB.  But you'll still want a second hard drive for data, and possibly games.

Because of your budgetary concerns, I really recommend you go with the 750GB drive for now and add a larger SSD later.  If you plan to install games, you'll probably want a 500GB SSD so you can install them on there and get faster load times and not as much stuttering in certain titles.

My configuration doesn't show it in my signature as I did this recently, but I added a 1TB SSD as a third games drive so that my C: drive is just the OS and apps like Office and various others.

Also, what is your input on a Forbus? All the reviews I have read are about the Krypton and how amazing it is but I haven't seen anything about the Forbus. I am mainly staying away from it because it doesn't have an internal optical drive.

I don't know much about the Forbus, but it appears to be the same chassis design as the Triton, and I have heard some reviewers express concerns with the quality of the LCD screen on that one.  Not major concerns, but just that color fidelity wasn't as good on that one as on others.

I don't know that the optical drive matters that much as you can get an external one for the times you need it for about $30 or less if it's a DVD burner.

If I was going to buy today, I'd actually go for the Harker as the keyboard layout on that one is better (IMO) than the Krypton.  If you read my Krypton review and responses to other reviews elsewhere on the forum, you'd see that was probably my main issue with the Krypton.  The Harker is (I think) a newer generation Clevo/Sager chassis than the Krypton.

Last question, do you believe everyone should go with a premium thermal compound instead of the stock? Thermal compound is important to the longevity of the computer (as I was told) but I do not know the difference between DS stock and thermal.

I don't know the difference, but I went premium on mine.  On laptops—and especially gaming laptops—heat is often your biggest concern, and anything that improves cooling is recommended.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 4:04pm

...IMO heat is the biggest killer of laptops so I'd recommend the ZALMAN High Performance Notebook Cooler NC11.

Pacesetter, I just saw this post; I'd skimmed over it before.

My Krypton hasn't needed any outside cooler so far, unlike my previous laptop from They Who Shall Not Be Named, so I wouldn't recommend getting a cooler off the bat.  However, if you live in a place where high indoor temps are frequent, then an aftermarket cooler may be necessary at times.

Agree totally about the overclocking.  With laptops it's best to leave it alone unless you build and install your own custom cooling systems for mobile CPUs and GPUs.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 4:43pm

You are the expert.

I confuse em as best as I can.

I was going from past experiences but I haven't used the Krypton.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
 Post Reply Post Reply