Post Date: 2010-12-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <1 234
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:10pm
LOL no exercise, that is how justin does it, he is a benchmarker, so he goes all out for every bit of juice he can get to get high benchmark.

you can read all about it in his thread that he has in the general section under drunken monkey.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:16pm
Benchmarking....an obsession unto itself  Wink  Hey everyone has to have a hobby.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:18pm
Yup and if you can afford it, then more power to you

its great to have him around tho, cause we can get a point of view from him that we can't get from others, who do you know that has 8 ssds in raid and 4 fans, 8 rads and .....
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by MagiK

While those that get the VR's laugh at those who couldnt afford to get them....everything they do to the regular disks can be done to the VR...Short Stroke the VR and raid it... and ...you are ahead of those laughers again  Chilling

Seriously people need to quit being so judgmental of others choices.

Short stroke a VR? For what, 100GB at $300? I'd call that pretty far into "Get a SSD." territory.

I dunno why I gotta keep saying it, VRs are not about being able to afford them, it's about there always been better options, regardless of your budget.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by MagiK

Its not philosophical really, I might throw away $100 and not blink where someone else might decide that it is better to take time to shop around and find a sale.

Money...like every other commodity has relative value to the person who holds it.

You mentioned  "If you are happy with your PC that is all that matters, even if it costs twice as much as a system that are 3 times faster,"  As if there is no chance that using more expensive higher quality parts the person in question will not tune his system to increase his performance just as much as you would.

Just because you use cheap parts does not mean your system will out perform someone elses.   Even if the other persons machine cost more to out perform yours.....the other person may not even notice the cost factor.   The common flaw in the logic of some people here is that MONEY trumps everything else in value.  It doesn't.  The "VALUE" of money like everything else tangible is relative to the beholder.

Edit:  Ok maybe there is some philosophy in there.... still It is a valid point that keeps getting ignored.  According to my dad, all of us are WASTING our money and time messing around with computers, we should be outside hunting and fishing and playing sports.  so go figure.  LOL

Actually if you were going philisophical you would realize that everything isn't relative to the beholder because there are absolute truths in this world! Hahaha
Socrates and Plato were completely against sophistry and relativism just has too many holes to hold up lol.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 3:38am
Dragoonseal I have asked for single sata HDD option that has vr's seektime, and you still have not posted me a link to one.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 4:22am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Dragoonseal I have asked for single sata HDD option that has vr's seektime, and you still have not posted me a link to one.

Page 2, pay attention.

Stop pestering me for stupid sh*t, I'm not going to sit around wasting my own time when you can easily Google this stuff.

Here is some detailed info on the Momentus XT that probably wouldn't easily come up in a Google search though.
Lilim
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 5:03am
I have asked you for a link so I can see the price and details of the drive you are talking about, most sas drives are fouud cost an arm and a leg. so far you have not posted one direct link to a drive so I can check it out.

the Momentus xt you posted has a higher seektime than vr, any other drives that have lower seektime then vr and don't cost more then vr?

If providing info for your argument is a waste of time then maybe you should not enter the discussion or if you do,refrain from such comments as "Stop pestering me for stupid sh*t", I'm honestly asking for a drive that has lower seektime than vr and costs less, I don't see anything wrong with asking for link if you already know one and I can't seem to locate one.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 5:07am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 5:20am

I have asked you for a link so I can see the price and details of the drive you are talking about, most sas drives are fouud cost an arm and a leg. so far you have not posted one direct link to a drive so I can check it out.

the Momentus xt you posted has a higher seektime than vr, any other drives that have lower seektime then vr and don't cost more then vr?

If providing info for your argument is a waste of time then maybe you should not enter the discussion or if you do,refrain from such comments as "Stop pestering me for stupid sh*t", I'm honestly asking for a drive that has lower seektime than vr and costs less, I don't see anything wrong with asking for link if you already know one and I can't seem to locate one.

Pro tip: Smaller access speed numbers are better. A Momentus XT has half the access time of a VR.

From the link I posted:

Lilim
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 6:03am
I'm a bit confused,

this is vr's specs:

this Momentus XT:

according to seagate's own site, seek read and write are slower.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 6:07am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 6:53am
Western Digital has a better marketing team, clearly.
Lilim
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 7:54am
I mean the old raptors have a 7ms seek time, the new ones are faster, even if they are fluffing it, its not by 7ms so that its around 11ms of the MXT. I mean I will agree they all fluf it, but I can't say I agree with 7ms of fluff, specially when I know the seektime of the older gen vr was around 7 - 9 ms which is still faster the MXT.

looking at anangtech it shows the velci being faster in read/write of 4k in their test also.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 8:42am
Comparing the Momentus XT to the VR isn't apples to apples....Hybrid drive uses SSD technology with spinning disk.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 8:54am
Ya true, they do use ssd technology but still seektime is not faster then vr.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:01am

Ya true, they do use ssd technology but still seektime is not faster then vr.

Depends on when you do the seek, the Momentus gets faster over time as it learns to cache more efficiently.    Saw some time lapsed testing results somewhere a bit ago.  you see dramatic increases in performance as the cache hits increase....but...as you said, even at peak performance it didnt really outperform the VR.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:16am
You people are hopeless. This is not an apples to apples comparison, this is not a HDD to HDD comparison, and this is not a SATA to SATA comparison. This is a storage solution to storage solution comparison, sky is the limit for options, what can X amount of dollars get us.

There are so many better storage solution options to spend the price of a VR on it is ridiculous, yet you are so narrow-minded you can't even see past standard HDDs on a SATA port. You are given better options and you balk at them as if they were made from devil's magic and condemn them because they're different or somehow too complicated or unfamiliar.

It's no wonder WD gets away with charging so much for them, they certainly market them at the right crowd.
Lilim
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:35am
I'm getting tired of your childish remarks, its not a matter of that we can't see pass sata and etc., obviously you are on a different discussion, originally somebody said the vr was pointless, I said show me a drive that has the seektime of vr, thats it, I never said it was for storage or what it was for, if you can't show a drive that has vr's seektime that is sata, then I can't say that vr is pointless, cause its point could be fast seektime if you want a single sata hdd or that is what you have room to add, or whatever the user's needs happen to be, or maybe just like me, they don't have a pci lane available.

having said that, I, nor can I tell anybody else is saying there are not better options for better price out there then the vr.

now what part of that got you all worked up to the point where you have to go and call us narrow minded I don't know, just because we don't have a need for something, does not mean that the need is not out there period, I think we all agree that everybody is not educated when it comes to HDD/SSD and don't make the best choice everytime either, so where do you get narrow mined or not being able to see pass things from that?

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 9:50am
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:42am
Momentus XT isnt an HDD....it is a "Hybrid HDD" with SSD and HDD components.

Comeo n Dragoon you are smart enough to know this and know the difference.

Yes the VR is losing relavance as SSD's come down in price, but it is still a valid option in peoples builds.

Edited by MagiK - 21 Dec 2010 at 9:44am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:06am
the new VR 600GB has 7ms access times, you noobs.. buy one and test it, specs mean nothing.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:14am
who you callin a noob junior?  Hahaha
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:01pm
@Synth3tikMessiah, I'm sorry if the focus of your thread went elsewhere based on your original post. If you would like to speak to our Lead Sales Manager, Sarah, please feel free to email her: Sarah@digitalstormonline.com or call 1-866-817-8676 EXT 115.

@Dragoonseal, @DST4ME, @MagiK, if you guys could please create your own thread in 'Hardware Discussion' instead it would be greatly appreciated. Big%20Smile

I'm going to lock this thread for now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234