FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need to upgrade my cooling

Post Date: 2012-02-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sbq View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sbq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need to upgrade my cooling
    Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 12:41pm
I bought a DS system back in Dec 2008 and it's been running great (especially after I replaced the ATI 4870 X2 with a GTX 580) but I'm having some problems with CPU cooling. First the order stats:

Digital Storm Desktop 84349
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm 950Si
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 3.2GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Dual SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz OCZ (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB
     replaced this with a single GTX 580
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU
Liquid Color: UV Blue: Glowing Non-conductive High-Performance Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans
Enhancements: LCD Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
CPU Boost: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
     OC'd to 3.85 GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: Yes, Overclock memory frequency (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Windows Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Warranty: 4 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

I got the stage 3 liquid cooling, but lately I've had overheating issues when playing certain games in fullscreen mode, and I've had crashes because of it. I have kept the inside as dust free as possible, so the radiator that does the heat exchange for the liquid isn't blocked by dust, and I do see that the liquid is being moved in the tubes, but I'm guessing that this cooler has just gotten too old. I'd like to get a new cooling solution but I'd like to make sure I get the right one as this thing gets really hot when I play certain games in fullscreen resolution. If possible I'd also like to get somethign quieter, this one is pretty loud, but my main concern is keeping the CPU cool. I'd have DS do the work (I live in the bayarea and can drop my system off at their HQ) so DS would be using their cooling solutions, but I want to know what would be the best solution to get for this machine (CPU only). Even though it's 3 years old it still performs like it was new, so I should be able to get at least 2 more years out of this rig, if not more. Mostly I play MMO's and strategy games like Civ V, so no insanely detailed shooters to worry about melting my CPU/GPU.
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 1:23pm
What is your current overclock at? I don't know that much about liquid cooling but I'd try flushing the system and remounting the cpu. I'd honestly call DS about this one before anything.
sbq View Drop Down

Quote sbq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 2:34pm
it's at 3.85 GHz
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 2:37pm
As mentioned, I'd try a few things with your existing system before ditching it, unless you really just want to get something else. Flushing the system, cleaning pumps, remounting the CPU block, applying new thermal paste, etc. You could also change the fans on your radiator for less than a new cooling setup would cost.

If you really want to just get rid of it, I'd probably recommend getting a good air cooler at this point based on your OC and system age.
sbq View Drop Down

Quote sbq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

As mentioned, I'd try a few things with your existing system before ditching it, unless you really just want to get something else. Flushing the system, cleaning pumps, remounting the CPU block, applying new thermal paste, etc. You could also change the fans on your radiator for less than a new cooling setup would cost.If you really want to just get rid of it, I'd probably recommend getting a good air cooler at this point based on your OC and system age.

do you know if that's a service that DS offers? I still have about a year of warranty left on this machine, but I'd pay for it if it's not covered.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 11:21am
While I can't say for certain that they would, I really would think that they would. It is preventative maintenance, though in your case something might actually be wrong based on what you described, so there might be cost involved, I can't say for sure. I'd highly recommend giving them a call, especially since you are still under warranty.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 1:38pm
Hi sbq,

You still have a good system with the GPU upgrade. You say you are having CPU heat problems. What is the CPU temps under load?

I would give this problem to DS and let them help you sort it out.

With the Zalman Performance Fans upgrade I would bet it is loud.

Frank
sbq View Drop Down

Quote sbq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi sbq,

You still have a good system with the GPU upgrade. You say you are having CPU heat problems. What is the CPU temps under load?

I would give this problem to DS and let them help you sort it out.

With the Zalman Performance Fans upgrade I would bet it is loud.

Frank

I hit over 100c (each core is at 100c or more) when all 4 cores are at 90% utilization or more. this happens quite frequently in games like Civ V in the later stages of a large game.

Actually, the fans aren't loud at all, it's the liquid cooling pump that is very loud, I hear it on the other side of my apartment.

Edited by sbq - 16 Feb 2012 at 2:08pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 4:06pm
sbq, don't use your computer with temps that high. You have a failure in your LC system of some kind. It is no wonder you are getting crashes with temps in that range.

Frank
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by FrankW

sbq, don't use your computer with temps that high. You have a failure in your LC system of some kind. It is no wonder you are getting crashes with temps in that range.

Frank

Good point! Yeah, get it fixed before you continue to use!
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by sbq

Actually, the fans aren't loud at all, it's the liquid cooling pump that is very loud, I hear it on the other side of my apartment.

Was it always as loud as it currently is?
sbq View Drop Down

Quote sbq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Originally posted by sbq

Was it always as loud as it currently is?

I believe so, or close to this loud.
 Post Reply Post Reply