FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help!

Post Date: 2014-09-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Teljair View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Teljair Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Help!
    Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 5:06am
Is below a solid spec or can I do better for less or the same?

The prices on newegg are much cheaper to build it myself, so I'm wondering from you DS fans, what makes it worth me spending the extra $600ish on the below spec from DS?

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm ODE V3
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: External USB Digital Media Card Reader
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 5:53am

1) DS customer service

2) DS Warranty and guarantee that they will build it, test it to the extreme and make sure it's 100% funtional in all phases... with pictures and specs on file

3) DS Expert configuration and build

and 4) DS customer service.

It's very easy to say, "yea, imma do myself cuz I know I can and I can do it cheaper and blah blah blah".  And you would be right, you can build this machine and pay less than having DS do it for you.  As you said above, you would save $600 or so.  Enough for a really good monitor, or 10 copies of Destiny for your console, 60 latte's at the local coffee house.... it doesn't matter.

What does matter is that there comes times in everyone's life where they want something done exactly right, the first time, and they don't mind paying someone else to take responsibility if it's not done that way.  That's where DS comes in. 

How much is your time worth while you wait for price breaks at Newegg, research compatibility issues, measure OC voltages and speeds, DOA products with RMA hassles, etc etc etc ad nauseum?  Is it worth the cost difference to you?

If your answer is "No", then by all means, please, help your self to a DIY rig and we'll wish you all the very best in the future.

If your answer is "Yes", give DS a chance to show you just how Customer Service is supposed to be handled and they will build you the best rig possible.

This is just my 2¢, and I'm no expert on building machine.  But I know a solid company that really cares about it's customers when I see one.

Cheers.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:10am
It does really come down to how comfortable are you troubleshooting if the rig doesn't turn on, or BSOD, crashes, random memory faults, etc.  If all goes well, and it does for so many, then you made a good choice and saved some money.

If things go wrong and you're not a troubleshooter, then what part do you send back?  The power supply, or motherboard, maybe a bad ram stick?  You could spend weeks, and I've known of people doing it, trying to get it to work.

DS is a company with overhead.....excellent tech support, for life, quality build process and just a general piece of mind with someone watching your back.  This stuff does cost money its the difference in price.

I and lots others here have built ourselves, loved it and enjoyed the experience and money in our pocket, but now I want a rig built, tested and supported.

It can work out great doing it yourself, or go wrong.    Hope this helps and good luck.  Let us know. Big%20Smile

Oh, and the rig you put together is right on.  Quality parts and a strong performer. 

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Sep 2014 at 6:11am
Teljair View Drop Down

Quote Teljair Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 7:07am
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger. Just doing some more research to make sure I have the best bang for my buck.
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 8:56am
Good luck! Tell us how it goes :D
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:59am
I would look at the SLI 970 also. They really seem like a nice performance gain for not a huge amount of money.
 Post Reply Post Reply