FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help selecing a motherboard

Post Date: 2014-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
biggmac101 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote biggmac101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help selecing a motherboard
    Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:37pm
I am looking for help in choosing a motherboard. I am looking at the Apollo level 3 system and trying to decide which of those options would be best for me. I plan on gaming and hope to upgrade to a second GTX 980 at some point. Every time I try to read reviews on the motherboard that I have the options for, I find lots of complaints about each. For example, the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 has a lot of users complaining that the audio ports stop working shortly after purchase. It is really intimidating trying to decide which to chose, as I do not want to spend all this money only to have such an important function fail on me. If anyone who knows motherboards can look over the options in the Apollo level 3 system and make a recommendation, I would really appreciate it.

I am considering the following system:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Onboard Creative Sound)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclock

This is the Apollo level 3 with following changes: switched from Seagate to WD HDD, switched to an 850W PSU, canceled the CPU over clock, and changed the motherboard.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:20am
Motherboards are probably one of the more reliable components of a system, but any can have issues and there's always someone with a bad experience with any you choose.

My picks would be the Z97 Sabertooth , or for a smaller board and a bit cheaper, the Gryphon. They are both made with quality components and carry a longer warranty, 5 years vs 3 years for most others. Even the manufacturer has more confidence in them.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 4:25pm
It really comes down to personal preference when picking a board with some selection over features.

The two bprat pointed out will work great, a long with your G1 Sniper. They provide good quality components and features to allow for overclocking (with that 4790k loves doing).

For me, I will forever and always use ASUS boards. I absolutely love them and will never go down any other route. Pull up your mobo selection and go with any of the ASUS boards. The most expensive, the better the features (Sound card, overclocking, stability, etc...).
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply