FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need help on finalizing a build

Post Date: 2014-12-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MaigoNoHito View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MaigoNoHito Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: need help on finalizing a build
    Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 12:51pm
Need some build advice and explanation on how to tweak my build so that I can get this ordered up. Not sure how to get the odd little tweaks like extra fans and extra little details stipulated in the ordering process. Just use the tiny 256 character comments section on the order, not sure that would be enough?

Budget:
Not really concerned about budget.

Expectations:
     Well hoping to get a solid high framerate gaming experience using three Asus VG248QE monitors in 1080p for games displaying across all three monitors giving me the full field of view during play, love that peripheral view in FPS in games that support it etc. With the option to add a small 4th monitor above to use to monitor system and handle a chat client while gaming. I think they call this 3 monitor surround or something like that lol.

Usage:
     Plan to use this purely for gaming.

Special Needs:
     Cool as I can get with heat venting from the top of the unit vs. out the back. I have some dust issues so I'm fixated on the Corsair Obsidian 550D chassis. I do have a need for quite as I can get, a turbo jet in the room while under high loads is not very acceptable as it ruins it for me.

Saved Ticket #: 1109950

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 2x SSD (500GB Samsung 840 EVO) (in Raid 1)
    -(firmware already patched for the 840 old data read bug?)
Storage Set 2: 2x SSD (1TB Samsung 840 EVO) (in Raid 1)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
    -(Not included Raid Config)
RAID Config: RAID 1: Mirroring: Drive Failure Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition) (configured to draw in cool air from the back of the unit)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: Strike-X AeroCool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
     -(Went with this in the end due to my desire to keep running processes to a minimum and still have visual idea of heat in the case)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: (3x) Asus 24 inch VG248QE Series (144Hz Refresh Rate) (Black) (1ms Response Time) (LED Backlight)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Logitech G13 Programmable Gameboard
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)

Questions and Tweaks to the Above build:

Storage:

Storage Set 1: 2x SSD (500GB Samsung 840 EVO) (in Raid 1)
Storage Set 2: 2x SSD (1TB Samsung 840 EVO) (in Raid 1)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
    -(Not included Raid Config)
RAID Config: RAID 1: Mirroring: Drive Failure Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 HDDs)

1) Can this Raid 1 and non-Raid setup even be done without issues? 2) Would the new 840 EVO's firmware already be updated for the new fix or is that something I'd have to request?
3) Can I do this without a raid card, just use the MB's raid features?

CPU Cooling:
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition) (configured to draw in cool air from the back of the unit)

1) Would this cooler with radiator already be configured to pull in cool air from the back of this case or is that something I should request?

System Fans:

1) Would like two exhaust fans added inside the top of the unit as well as two additional side intake fans added where both of the factory removable panels with magnetic dust filters already are located. This would bring the system up to 2 front intake fans, 2 side intake fans, 1 rear intake CPU liquid cooled radiator with fan, and 2 top mounted exhaust fans. All fans except the one on the radiator upgraded to the corsair units. Am I wrong in my thinking this would be a good idea? (room this PC is in can get to 80-84 degrees on a very bad day in the summer months)

2)What about my choice of the Strike-X AeroCool Temperature Display & Fan Controller over the Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software? For me its a matter of no Control Software running in the background using the Strike-X vs. the very cool idea of having the LED lighting visible thru the fan openings give me visual clues to the thermal status of the unit with the Digital Storm Thermal Board and Software.

Virus Protection:

1) Does the PC ship with Microsoft Windows Defender and Firewall setup? If not can I have it set up? ( just discovered its not Microsoft Security essentials anymore.. LOL )

Displays:

1) hmmmm how do I go about ordering 3x of the monitors instead of 1 or should I just get the two additional units locally and save on the shipping?

Other thoughts or concerns:
1)Hmmm well, not a big fan of non factory overclocking and then I rarely go for it, but liking the gtx980 strix cards.

2)Yup pretty lost, where is my Win 98..

ugh.. anything else I'm missing or messing up?
MaigoNoHito View Drop Down

Quote MaigoNoHito Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 3:06pm
Looks like I'm going with this.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 2x SSD (500GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 2x SSD (1TB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 2x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: Asus 24 inch VG248QE Series (144Hz Refresh Rate) (Black) (1ms Response Time) (LED Backlight)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Logitech G13 Programmable Gameboard
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:58pm
Nice build, although you don't need DS to disable and tweek the os as all the os's come bloat free
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Krudd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Krudd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 5:51pm
"OS Boost" disables certain services that are running by default that generally aren't needed. I can't imagine it has noticeable impact on system performance, though.

MaigoNoHito,

Why not an X99 based system?
Aventum II
HydroLux Copper
i7-5930k
ASUS Rampage V - X99
32GB DDR4
4 x GTX980
3 x ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Krudd

"OS Boost" disables certain services that are running by default that generally aren't needed. I can't imagine it has noticeable impact on system performance, though.

MaigoNoHito,

Why not an X99 based system?

True, but if there is a feature they are wanting to use, it will be disabled so its better to just leave OS Boost the way it is
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
 Post Reply Post Reply