Post Date: 2010-10-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ahyi View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: need help on config
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:42am
Hi i posted before about wanting a awesome rig, and I've finally managed to convince my dad to get me a new rig for my birthday coming up in 2 weeks :D. And the fact my desktop died on me last night.. My budget is around $2500, my expectations are simple, don't die on me after a few years, future proof and run everything i throw at it. Usage gaming 90% and homework 10%, after all i convinced him that i needed a comp like this for homework :P..

Ticket Number: 447764, this is the one i configed.

I'm not too sure about the Mobo i really like the layout of the classified but its a bit pricey, and I'm not sure if its better then the SLI 3 edition. So im not sure which one i would need.

For the PSU i went with a 1000w because i will be getting a additional 480 when the price drops but not sure if i want a 1000w or a 1200w, I was also not sure if i wanted a DS certified psu not knowing what brand it uses and reliability of it.

As for cooling i went with a h70 but Ive heard great things about noctua, but i don't really like the looks. I need help on these questions please help :)

I play WoW, L4D2, SC2, and COD i would like to be able to run these games flawlessly without lagging :)

Oh and last question i've searched up a bit of SSD's (i've never used them) will the boost my OS noticeably? If it doesn't improve on my games will a 40gb be enough just for the OS? Please help :D i will be ordering in a week or two :D

OH! last last question, i live in Canada and i noticed ds is pretty dam far from here, would it be safer to put it in a wood crate and ship it here or will the normal packaging from ds be good enough, seeing that they do a pretty good job on packing..

thanks in advance :D

Edited by Ahyi - 13 Oct 2010 at 3:45am
AussieJT View Drop Down

Quote AussieJT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 7:16am
Here is what I would do for that price range and you still have a few options. It is under your 2500 so you could do a couple of things...

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=447781

Upgrade the Mobo or Go for 2x GTX470s right now and still be at 2500. I personally went the SLI 470s and I was right at the same budget as you were.

Cooling - From all accounts the Noctua cools fantastically well so no need for the h70.

The SSD will SIGNIFICANTLY make your OS faster. 40Gb is right on the limit so I would go for the 80Gb (price permitting) and gives you some room for the one or 2 most played games - Not going to affect the gameplay as such but will lower the times to load maps etc if that is important to you!

Case - Can't tell you, someone else will have to jump in there.

Edited by AussieJT - 13 Oct 2010 at 7:17am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 8:49am
few things, theres an extensive guide to answer all the questions you posted, link in my signature

this thread has the same budget and has a ton of useful information in it

SSDs are a speed boost to be sure, but they decrease things like system boot time, save / load / open / close times, not in-game FPS by much, video power is most important

this is touched on in the guide as well, but i personally dont think there is any sense to the idea of trying to buy another video card "later" for SLI, the prices arent going to drop much and the money you may or may not save is not near as useful as have DSO pretest it and having the card under DSO warranty, again, more info on this in the guide linked in my signature
Ahyi View Drop Down

Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:33am
I am a noob at these thing this is my first custom build gaming rig, in the past i would just buy hp comps. One died on my ytd and one is dieing -.-... I've read your guides (excellent guides) as for dual 470s are they more powerful then 1 480?  will i be able to play all my games on max settings? because i was hoping when i convince my dad enough during Christmas he'd get me a extra 480 card, and i have no idea what boot time is... also for shipping should i go with a wooden crate or just normal packaging? i don't want the components damaged during shipping :) 
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:41am
dual 470s are they more powerful then 1 480?
yes, much more
will i be able to play all my games on max settings?
well, "high" settings, if you read the guide Wink

because i was hoping when i convince my dad enough during Christmas he'd get me a extra 480 card
if it were me, id pull for it early, having anything under DSO warranty is well worth the money you MIGHT save getting one at christmas. but if you cant... its easy to install a 2nd video card on your own

and i have no idea what boot time is...
just the amount of time it takes your computer to be ready from the time you turn it on

also for shipping should i go with a wooden crate or just normal packaging?
thats something i would discuss with DSO. a wood crate is significantly more expensive, and could hinder what you could fit in the budget, where in canada are you? if you are on the west half you probably arent much further than most of us on the east coast of the US are
Ahyi View Drop Down

Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 10:43am
I live in British Columbia so im not sure if its far away from cali, and i know it cost's alot for a wood crate and i could fit something better in the rig if i don't have to get one :D.. so im hopping i don't have to get a crate
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 10:53am
yea thats the same or maybe less distance than me in virginia, and ive done several shipments with DSO over the years that went fine. and they have actually buffed up thier packing since then, so id stick with the normal packaging as you will already have to pay for customs (i think?) best to contact them asap and find out what kind of extra costs you may have from customs and i know they require a box if it goes overseas but i dont think they do to CA.. best to find out now so yuo can adjust the budget accordingly
Ahyi View Drop Down

Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 10:55am
will a 1000w psu be able to power 2 480 the mobo and everything?
Ahyi View Drop Down

Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:02am
there is actually something ive been wondering just out of curiosity, whats a better mobo the 3way classified or the rampage 3 extreme?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:14am
1000w is technically enough for dual 480s, but its reccomended to go with a 1200w psu
power supplies are happiest at about 75-85% of thier maximum load, so the 1200 is a better choice

as for the RE III vs the classified... its kind of splitting hairs, both are very good. but as i tell most people, if you dont know why these are more expensive than the evga SLI 3, chances are really good you would never know the difference. save the money and get the sli 3

its basically just more cooling options and more fine tuning overclocking support
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:17am
You don't need the wood crate. The box the system comes in is made of some of the strongest cardboard I have ever seen. It is almost like wood! The box itself with nothing in it weights about 10 lbs if that gives you an idea.
Ahyi View Drop Down

Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:19am
thanks alot for your help im going to call dso when its opened in a hour and ask the custom prices and the packaging and such,
do you by any chance know how much taxes do they add on these systems?
Ahyi View Drop Down

Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 12:38pm
i just called and its a 400$ custom fee with shipping and handling so its not that bad i was expecting like a huge number :D kinda relieved now
Ahyi View Drop Down

Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 12:40pm
oh i have a question does any know if the dso certified 1200w is modular or not? 
AmbientChong11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by !ender_

dual 470s are they more powerful then 1 480?
yes, much more

Ender's right about 470s SLI topping the 480, but it will run hotter than a single card. But both the 470/480 have a max resolution of 2560 x 1600. Unless if you're planning to go dual monitors, one 470/480 is powerful I think and by Christmas or Black Friday, you can buy another card if you want.

Just my opinions.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Ahyi

oh i have a question does any know if the dso certified 1200w is modular or not? 

yea, all dso PSUs are modual except the 750w corsair.. addressed in the guideHahaha
jlmitnick View Drop Down

Quote jlmitnick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:36pm

I don't know exactly what they will put in your system for 1200w DSO certified, but my system which just came in yesterday, I had a 750w DSO certified, and it turned out to be a Cooler Master GX 750w, which I'm very pleased with.
jlmitnick View Drop Down

Quote jlmitnick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by !ender_

yea, all dso PSUs are modual except the 750w corsair.. addressed in the guideHahaha

Actually !ender_, my 750w DSO certified (which was a Cooler Master GX 750w as I just mentioned in the previous post), turns out to not be modular.  (Although this may only apply for the 750w psu's they use)

If being modular is important to you I suggest you verify and confirm with DSO that you want a modular power supply for your DSO psu and I'm sure they'll put one in.

Edited by jlmitnick - 13 Oct 2010 at 2:38pm
Ahyi View Drop Down

Quote Ahyi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 5:21pm
It doesn't rally matter just the fact I don't want a whole buch of cables lying around in the case. Thanks a whole bunh on the help guys, back to persuading my dad to throw the extra 400 for the shipping n custom fee. :) hope it all works out cuz I dun want to buy from the locol store

Edited by Ahyi - 13 Oct 2010 at 5:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply