FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice on what build I should get

Post Date: 2014-07-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Xenris View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Xenris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need advice on what build I should get
    Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 7:49pm
Budget:
My budget is $4,000.

Expectations:
I wan't a top of the line build that is future proof for at least 5-6 years. GPU is expected to be upgraded every 2-3 years pending what I get for my build.

Usage:
Gaming mostly/Watching media

Special Needs:
I'm not very knowledgeable of liquid cooling and nervous to overclock any components and run dual GPU's in SLI (mainly for fear that the components will overheat more and make the rig more loud and shorten the life span of components). I'd prefer a single GPU but I also want the best bang for buck and am open to liquid cooling as I do would like a quiet machine.

I've been eyeing the Aventum II mainly for its sleek case. If I decide to opt out of any liquid cooling setup for the build, would it be a waste to get it though? Does a liquid cooling rig require much maintenance? Refilling water into the pipes? Is it easy to learn? Would an Aventum II suit my needs or be a bit overkill as I don't intend to run a multi monitor setup ever.

A few select questions I have are:
1. Should I invest in a single 780ti now and sell it after 2 years for a GTX 880 replacement? Or should I get a 780ti now and get a second one in SLI a year later and then upgrade to a next gen card a much further date? I do prefer single GPUs as its more simple to work with and more optimal. Would a GTX Titan Black be a poor buy I imagine? I prefer Nvidia.

2. Should I go for a 4 core or a 6 core Intel CPU? Does 6 cores offer any value for a gaming centric machine? Should I overclock it? Which CPU would be the best buy for me? I'd like to have it last me a good 5-6 years, no lower than 4. I prefer Intel.

3. How much RAM should I get (32GB vs 16GB)and what speeds? Is Digital Storm RAM better than Corsair RAM?

4. What motherboard should I get? I prefer the ASUS brand.

5. Should I get a dedicated sound card? I'm not an audiophile nor have a crazy top of the line surround sound system (may later on). But my only major usage of my rig will be for gaming. Would a good motherboard make a sound card redundant? If so should I get a good motherboard then as per item 4 above?

6. What size power supply should I get? I don't ever expect to run no more than 2 top of the line GPU's in SLI. I'd also like a bit of future proof though so that I won't need a new supply for a good 5-6 years.

7. Liquid Cooling + Fans.... I really don't know where to begin. What liquid cooling setup would be ideal for me? Which fans should I buy? I'd like a quiet machine but it doesn't have to be super silent, some sound is acceptable.

8. Overclocking - Should I overclock my GPU/CPU? By how much? What are the risks in doing so? If I get a high end top of the line GPU/CPU would overclocking really be needed or make a difference?

9. I'm ok in the HDD department, I intend to get a Primary SSD and a Secondary 1-2TB HDD.

If someone can offer me detailed build advice it would be much appreciated. I know I'm asking for a lot in this post but its because I'm a serious buyer whose waited a long time and now finally has the $$$ to spoil himself a bit.

Thanks,

blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 11:36pm

To recommend the build ideal for your needs we would need the following information.

A. Since this is primarily a gaming rig what games do you play or planning to play? Primarily playing an MMO versus the latest FPS on ultra settings with a three monitor setup for example makes a difference on the type of build the rig should be. Other then gaming is there other tasks you need to perform? If so what percentage would you estimate your time to involve these other tasks versus gaming? Ex: 60% gaming, 40% work related professional photographer.

B. What monitor(s) model do you own or plan to purchase? What resolution do you game at? Playing at 1080p max settings versus 4k makes a difference on the type of video card you should purchase.

1. This is going to depend on what monitor res you game at and the type of games you play. For most getting a Titan Black wouldn't be necessary as 780Ti is more than enough power for most titles. Spending the extra for the Titan wouldn't make sense. If you need extra power you can also drop another card and go SLI. The Titan being 1k+ on budget would be a very expensive SLI option for most. This again depends on what title you play at what res. For most it is overkill.

2. Unless you have other non gaming tasks such as video encoding on a professional level the extra cores makes no difference in gaming. A quad core is all you need. Unlike GPU the CPU can last you a awhile. Devils Canyon CPU are designed for overclocking and considering DS is pro in this field it wouldn't make sense to purchase these processors and not have then clocked at least on stage 1 OC. Unless you have a specific need for a six core save the money and get the Devils Canyon and OC that beast.

3. Again this is based if you are working on non gaming tasks. Video encoding, auto cad, etc. will benefit from the extra ram but gaming will not. The extra ram will just sit there and smile at you. While 16GB is ideal on most builds you can even settle with 8GB. For clock speeds DS hand tested if fine but I cannot remember but I believe the high clock speeds is needed for higher OC above 4.5Ghz on the CPU. I will let someone else comment on that subject.

4. Many have several recommendations with most on the Asus Hero as one of the favorites. You want at least a mid board with good OC abilities and if considering a second card SLI support.

5. Unless you’re and audiophile or audio is your profession getting a dedicated card is not needed. On board audio is not like what it was ten years ago. On board audio is more than enough for today’s and yesterdays titles. If all you do is game and use audio on general task like watching video clips, getting a dedicated card is a waste.

6. Considering what titles you play and what monitor res helps determine your GPU setup you don't want to settle with anything less than 750 psu. Higher quality cards in SLI will require a higher psu

7. LC for the CPU is not like Water Cooling and is very reliable. If nervous air is still really good. I have a LC Corsair for my CPU and it works like a champ.

8. OC, yes please. Devils Canyon being unlocked was designed for over clocking so it wouldn't make sense to start with these CPU and not OC them. DS has a great track record and having bought three units from them and possibly a fourth early next year all the machines I have are still running on the OC since the day I bought them. OC other items is entirely up to the buyer but if anything do take the CPU OC.

9. Yes place your OS on the SSD and use HDD for data. While you can place games on the SSD keep in mind it will do nothing on improving FPS. It only improves loading time. Some game titles perform better on SSD then others. You can do some research. The performance is not considerable. You’re OS however is a major difference loading on a SSD versus an HDD.

Edited by blackcatfoe - 21 Jul 2014 at 11:39pm
Xenris View Drop Down

Quote Xenris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 6:33pm
Hi thank's a lot for your response!

To answer your questions:

1. I intend to spend 90% of my time gaming on this rig and 10% watching movies and browsing the web. I do not do any # 3D modelling, AutoCAD, photography or any other graphical/CPU intensive work.

2. I only intend to have 1 monitor only and seeing as 4K monitors are not cheap, I'll probably game on 1080p for now. If you can, what would be a good monitor to buy? I don't want to spend any more than $300-$400 on one. Are 1080p monitors pretty much the best/standard besides 4K? There are higher res monitors out there, but are they worth it for my purposes?

3. I play games of all genres and expect my rig to be able to run all of the latest games (Assassins Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, ect.) on Ultra High Maximum Settings for everything with ease and to be able to continue to do so for games that will be released in 2015 as well. I expect a 780ti to be able to perform that feat for at least a year and 2 of them should manage it for another 2 years right? My main concern though is, should I stick with one 780ti and get the new GTX880 or 790 if/when they come out (hopefully within the year) or add a second 780ti and invest in a new GPU at a later date? Keep in mind I only plan to game on 1 monitor. Would that affect the decision on whether I should stick with 1 GPU always or SLI?

As a followup to your responses:
1. Is there a difference between Liquid and Water Cooling? I read somewhere on the DS website that apparently Liquid cooling requires no maintenance? If so I'm happy to get it.

2. Should I OC a 780ti if I get one?

3. So pending my CPU clock speeds exceed 4.5GHz I need to get RAM with faster speeds?

4. To sum up your advice I should go for a Devils Canyon Quad Core CPU and OC it and get an Asus Hero MOBO? My MOBO will need to be able to run SLI and have decent on board sound since I won't get a sound card. I'll check into this model. What's the difference between an Intel Extreme CPU and the non Extreme version? Just higher clock speeds? Are they worth the extra $$$ for my gaming only purposes on 1 monitor?

Thank's again for the advice!

Edited by Xenris - 22 Jul 2014 at 6:36pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 6:55pm
To answer one of your questions the corsair radiators are the ones that require no maintenance. They are prefilled with thermal conductive fluid improving cooling performance and efficiency.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 11:27pm

Ok since 90% of your time will be gaming clearly a six core would be a waste of money.

Yes 4K monitors are not cheap for a good qualify one but wait till you add the necessary video cards to get a decent 60fps on ultra. CryUnless you have money to burn (in this case you can always give me the money Drooling)  it will be some time till you start seeing monitors coming down in price and seeing more powerfull video cards handle 4K with 60+ fps on ultra without the need to SLI.

1.  Yes as already answered LC does not require maintenance. WC is really mainly for looks.

2. OC for video card or memory is really buyers choice. The gains from the OC is marginal at best and is only reserved for enthusiests that want every gain of performance. You are talking less then 5 fps if that on a performance gain. It can increase the thermal of the system which I consider more important. For most an OC of the CPU is all you need and the most important for a purchase of a CPU designed to OC. The 780ti is already a beast of a card so an OC is really not needed. That is just me.

3. That is the case with memory on Devils Canyon CPU you want faster clock speeds if the OC is above 4.5hz if selecting stage 2 cpu OC. To achieve higher OC requires a mid or high tier motherboard and good cpu cooling.

4. This is correct. A Hero is what most would need if they want decent OC with SLI. Extreme version has a little bit more features but overall allows for more management of OC and should be considered if you like a good stage 2 OC. Since you are only gaming on one monitor even an stage 1 OC would be fine.

I currenlty have a 4770k OC to 4.2ghz with 770 GTX SLI and play most titles on high to ultra around 100fps. This is on a duel monitor 1080p setup. I game on one monitor and can watch a movie or view the web on another. A 780ti will blow most titles out of the water and down the road you can always add another.

Keep in mind for SLI the titles you are playing must support an SLI profile for the SLI to be used otherwise the second card sits ideal. While over 3/4 of titles on the market support SLI some AAA titles have released without SLI support at launch only to add support later. Just be mindfull this is not your rigs fault but the lack of support from the title. *cough WatchDogs cough* I just state this as some upcoming titles such as Farcry 4 for example tend to have some optimization issues at launch. But this is a different subject.

Considering you game on one monitor might not be needed. For a single card 780ti is all you need and you can replace with the Maxwell GPU once more finalized details are released. If history has taught us from the 690 board these cards are only duel 680's placed together on the same board. You want to avoid duel boards as the prior model to the duel card tends to have not have any major gains with more thermal then if going with single cards in SLI.

Keep in mind not everything number wise goes by the rule more means better. If that is the case we should all be getting TItan Black Z's right?  I prefer the motto does this fit my playstyle. Especially for video cards and CPU.

A stage 1 OC with 780ti will smoke your titles and the upcoming titles on a single monitor. I would not be worried by being left behind and down the road if you choose you can always put in another 780ti as a second card or just get the most powerfull single card on the market at that time (ex: 800 series).

For audio I would not be worried on the choice of mobo as all audio on the mobo can handle gaming just fine.

Here is a general build for an idea: 1016743

Edited by blackcatfoe - 22 Jul 2014 at 11:58pm
Xenris View Drop Down

Quote Xenris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 6:50pm
Thank's a bunch for following up blackcatfoe :) I'm getting close to making a decision now.

I looked at your build and it aligns with what I was thinking based on your earlier feedback. Just some final questions (mainly in regards to the cost/benefit of buying a top tier Digital Storm "Best" component opposed to the ones you selected for me.

1. So in terms of cooling, I'll stick with just a liquid cooling setup only for my CPU (which requires zero maintenance on my part correct). What's the main difference between "H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)" and "H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)" besides the different brand name.

2. Similar question for MOBO. What's the main difference between "ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)" and "ASUS Z87-DELUXE/QUAD (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Intel Thunderbolt 2 Technology)" ?

3. My final question. I am a fan of quiet and the Slade case. But it doesn't look as cool as the Aventum II or Bolt II. I don't like the idea of getting a Bolt as it can't do SLI. Would I be paying a high premium for an Aventum II with comparable specs you have given me? That's my only gripe at the moment, a minor aesthetic one lol Would an Aventum II be a waste for my purposes? Also I don't like big desktops, so if the Aventum is a huge beast meant for enthusiasts to go crazy with the quad GPUs, multi monitor setups and water cooling, which I'm not interested any, would it be a waste/stupid for me to even consider getting?

I have $$$ to burn and don't mind shelling extra here or there but only if the benefit/cost ratio is decent. If I were to buy the "Ultimate" MOBO, Liquid Cooling unit and Intel Extreme CPU, would they really offer any great value for my gaming experience as opposed to the components you recommended?

Thank's again for all your help!

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:17pm

1. I'm not sure on any main advantages/disadvantages. Others can comment on this. I do know larger radiator LC coolers are nosier. If you want a real quite rig the 120mm is what you need.

2. The difference between the two is vast. The HERO other then the improved OC abilities includes other features such as Ethernet ports designed with gaming in mind and improved audio from prior boards. ASUS Z87-DELUXE/QUAD while a good board has it's main selling point on 2x Thunderbolt 2 ports and built in WiFi. If you do need a Thunderbolt 2 port or Wi-Fi you can always get an expansion card and insert on the mobo. Overall the HERO is a better board for gamers.

3. Aventum II is very nice looking case but keep in mind this case is designed for extreme builds and expansion in mind and why you see the 3k+ prices for the builds being offered. Considering SLI in your case a slade is all you need without spending more that you don’t. The Bolt II you are correct. If purchased SLI would not be an option for you down the road. The popularity of the unit is based on it's compact design. I will add if you want a quite rig the Slade is the way to go but the build ticket I created did not add the noise reduction package. If you like a quite rig the package is worth it.

Since you have money to burn getting an ultimate mobo will help with the OC along with the faster clocked memory. I would still stick with a Devils Canyon CPU i7 4790K as the K series have proven to achieve better performance in gaming then extreme CPU line. Even if the 4930K is a K series unlocked CPU the six cores in the extreme CPU only benefit apps that make use of the extra cores. Since games today don’t use six cores the extra $300 to $500 invested in these extreme CPU's would be better invested in other areas that will improve your game performance like a 2nd video card.

You can't really future proof any rig as it will show its age but I do have rigs from DS as old as four years still running titles today on High settings with over 60 fps. If anything you will usually upgrade the video card(s) within the next two to three years. By year four to five you will usually be looking to get a new righ with a brand new CPU and mobo. Will games use six cores eventually? Yes, but unlike video cards game titles are slow to take advantage of the raw power of today’s CPU's.

In any event it is your money and you can do with it what you will but for me personally I put the money more on performance that matters to gaming then just raw overall power. I make fun of a friend that never listens and always goes overkill with his builds with the mindset top of the line CPU and video cards are always the best. He recently put together a 4960X with duel Titan Blacks but primarily plays COH 2 and ESO. The look on his face when he sees my 4770K and duel 770's performing not that far behind his rig....priceless. LOL

Edited by blackcatfoe - 23 Jul 2014 at 11:20pm
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 8:35am
I thin the Hero motherboard and i7-4790k will best meet your needs. Though the Maximus VII Formula has hit the US, today. That is a limited release and it is unclear if DS will carry that motherboard. It is just something to keep in mind. Also, I would go with DS certified 1866 memory with 16GB.

If you think you want to go with a 4k monitor when the prices come down, then you would be better off, for the moment, with an AMD Radeon graphics card. One issue with SLI and Crossfire, is that games need to support it for them to take best advantage of it. Even if a game doesn't support SLI, the second graphics card can be used in post processing (i.e. anti-aliasing). For 1080p or 1200p, the 780 Ti is the best card right now.

As far as cooling, liquid cooling can be effective in keeping the heat down in the processor. But, the Devil's Canyon CPUs run cooler than the older Haswell chips. If quiet is what matters most to you I would go with the Slade (Corsair 550D case) and Noctua NH-D14 air cooler. The concern I have with water cooling in the Slade, is that the radiator would be blocking the rear exhaust vent for a 120mm or populating the top fan ports for a 240mm radiator. It might also be a good idea to upgrade the rear exhaust fan to a 140mm fan from the included 120mm.

Here is what I recommend: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1017481

If you do want the option to go with a 4k monitor in the future, then switch to the Radeon R9 290X.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:35pm
Danjw1- I like your build. I would change out a couple things.

I would step back to 1600 Mhz ram since I do not believe it makes much difference for the price you are paying.

If he is not going SLI at all down the line I would probably go with the Corsair 850 RM PSU if he thinks he might go SLI then your suggestion is a great idea.

I would use that money on getting a 512 GB Evo Pro SSD as the main drive instead.

Good Luck in your purchase.

Edited by Ariktu - 24 Jul 2014 at 2:36pm
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Ariktu

Danjw1- I like your build. I would change out a couple things. I would step back to 1600 Mhz ram since I do not believe it makes much difference for the price you are paying. If he is not going SLI at all down the line I would probably go with the Corsair 850 RM PSU if he thinks he might go SLI then your suggestion is a great idea.I would use that money on getting a 512 GB Evo Pro SSD as the main drive instead.Good Luck in your purchase.

$21 didn't seem like much for a little bit faster memory. I went with the 1050W for the possibility of SLI in the future. 512GB for the boot drive is a good use of money, it allows you to keep more games installed at once. Though, it is either Evo or Pro, not both. The 850 Pros are due on August 8th; It isn't clear when DS will start to offer those, though.
Xenris View Drop Down

Quote Xenris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 7:57pm
Thank's so much everyone, @danjw1 I tweaked your build slightly mainly for more HDD and SSD space, faster RAM (only $21 more so I figure why not), a Bluray player, more noise reduction, and a Stage 2 CPU OC. What do you guy's think about this build?

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1017841

A few other comments I want to mention:
1. I'm an Nvidia guy so I'll have to stick with a 780ti. I may end up just keeping 1 780ti and replacing it with an 800 series card down the road opposed to SLI but regardless I wan't to ensure if I do decide to go SLI my rig can do it. Which leads me to my second question.

2. Is a 1050W PSU more than sufficient to handle my SLI needs for at least 5-6 years? I don't intend to go more than 2 cards ever.

3. I guess I'll stick with your advice on getting the Asus Maximus VII Hero as it sells itself as "gaming centric" unlike the other more expensive Z87 models.

4. So for the Slade case, I should opt for a air fan over liquid cooling due to the risk of the radiator blocking the rear exhaust vent? Should I also upgrade the Standard Factory Chassis Fans to the Corsair Air Flow Performance Edition ones for $99 more? Its pricey but does it make a noticeable difference?

5. I also would like to have built in Bluetooth in my rig. Is that possible to get from DS or should I buy an adapter separately somewhere else?

6. Please take a look and see if there are any red flags in my build or recommendations. How would you guy's rate my choice of Primary/Secondary Hard Drives? I notice Intel's SSD are far more expensive than Samsungs, is this due to read/write speeds? Does it make a difference which brand I get?

Thank's again for all the help. Its tough finding people to spend the time to teach you about the little things and ease first time buyers into making a big purchase.

Edited by Xenris - 24 Jul 2014 at 7:59pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 11:29pm
Hey Xenris...

The hardware gurus we have here (and no, I'm not one) are some of the best informed in the market today. I'm sure they'll be able to steer you in the right direction. I expect them to be rolling in in about 4 hours give or take.

Whatever your build, I know DS is going to make the best machine for you possible.

Enjoy.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Xenris

Thank's so much everyone, @danjw1 I tweaked your build slightly mainly for more HDD and SSD space, faster RAM (only $21 more so I figure why not), a Bluray player, more noise reduction, and a Stage 2 CPU OC. What do you guy's think about this build?

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1017841

Stage 2 Noise Reduction isn't needed on the Corsair 550D, it already has noise dampening build into the side panels.

2. Is a 1050W PSU more than sufficient to handle my SLI needs for at least 5-6 years? I don't intend to go more than 2 cards ever.

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem. PC components are getting lower in power consumption.

3. I guess I'll stick with your advice on getting the Asus Maximus VII Hero as it sells itself as "gaming centric" unlike the other more expensive Z87 models.

The Republic of Gamers (ROG) line is mostly focused on gaming. The exception is usually the Extreme, which is focused on over clockers.

4. So for the Slade case, I should opt for a air fan over liquid cooling due to the risk of the radiator blocking the rear exhaust vent? Should I also upgrade the Standard Factory Chassis Fans to the Corsair Air Flow Performance Edition ones for $99 more? Its pricey but does it make a noticeable difference?

It is a Corsair case (thus corsair fans), so I don't see the point. With just one graphics card, I don't see the need for additional fans. It comes with two 120mm fans in front (intake fans) and one 120mm in back (exhaust fan). There are fan ports on the top (2x 120mm/140mm), bottom (120mm/140mm) and side (2x 120mm/140mm or 200mm). Adding more fans will increase noise. The side and top ports have removable covers that have noise dampening foam in them. If you were to add a fan or fans, the left side panel would be best, assuming that side would be facing away from you. That way the noise is directed away from you.

5. I also would like to have built in Bluetooth in my rig. Is that possible to get from DS or should I buy an adapter separately somewhere else?

Yes there are a number of USB Bluetooth adapters available. The Maximus VII Formula comes with a WiFi 802.11ac and Bluetooth module.

6. Please take a look and see if there are any red flags in my build or recommendations. How would you guy's rate my choice of Primary/Secondary Hard Drives? I notice Intel's SSD are far more expensive than Samsungs, is this due to read/write speeds? Does it make a difference which brand I get?

The only thing was the Stage 2 noise reduction, since that is already there. Samsung makes very high performance SSDs, they beat others in most metrics. They can have consistency issues, but that is really more of an issue with servers. Here is a link to a recent buyers guide to SSDs:http://www.anandtech.com/show/8260/best-ssds-july-2014

Thank's again for all the help. Its tough finding people to spend the time to teach you about the little things and ease first time buyers into making a big purchase.

You are welcome ;-)

Edited by danjw1 - 25 Jul 2014 at 7:23am
Xenris View Drop Down

Quote Xenris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Hey Xenris...

The hardware gurus we have here (and no, I'm not one) are some of the best informed in the market today. I'm sure they'll be able to steer you in the right direction. I expect them to be rolling in in about 4 hours give or take.

Whatever your build, I know DS is going to make the best machine for you possible.

Enjoy.

Is there a good way to get in touch with DS experts? I guess I can contact them before I make my purchase to get their blessing first. I'm pretty happy with the advice I have got already and am happy with my build. Some thing's I'd like to discuss first are:

1. Will DS carry the Maximus VII Formula MOBO and if so, when?
2. Does DS agree with the recommendation of going for air cooling for my CPU over liquid cooling due to the risk of the radiator blocking the rear exhaust vent?
3. I'm thinking of OC my 780ti as well now. If I decide to go SLI later on would I need to OC the 2nd GPU also the exact same way?

Thank's again danjw1!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 3:56am
Hi Xenris... I'm not a DS employee, you'd need to call or email them, so I can't answer the first question.

2nd question.... DS usually recommends the sealed liquid coolers because they cool just fine, are small and light weight makes shipping them easier.   The 120mm radiator on LC doesn't block the rear fan but replaces it with its own. It mounts against the inside back wall and exits cpu heat out the back.   I like air coolers myself mainly for tops in reliability. No pump, tubing, etc. They work great, are quiet but do take up more room and overlap a ram slot or two. Sealed units are very reliable but air is more so.

The Slade 550d case is quiet but also closed up, hence quiet. The top and side have an acoustic panel on them to block the noise but also can reduce airflow. For video cards that exit all the heat out the back, no problem, like reference single fan.   But if you get a ACX type dual fan card, some of the heat dumps into the case. Sli would be even more heat. Overclocking is even more. Luckily, the 550d can mount additional fans if needed to the top and side if the acoustic panels are removed.

3rd question... In sli, the cards work in sync and share data, helping each other render to the screen. They mirror the work so to speak.   They both don't need to be overclocked but if you don't the slowest card determines the performance. I'm not sure the benefit of oc in sli. The 2nd card only works at maybe 60 or 70% of the first because of the way they work. I guess it might help but not sure how much. Others might have a more definitive answer.

Hope this helps.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:25am
I agree with bprat22's response. He pretty much said everything I would have said to answer your questions. I can't believe I didn't do this earlier in this thread, but here is a link to a review of the case: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5708/corsair-obsidian-550d-starting-to-specialize
Xenris View Drop Down

Quote Xenris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:15pm
Thank's, I think I will definitely go with the Slade. I also noticed a new "Notice" tag for the Slade models in which they reccomend Stage 1 Noise Reduction and 120mm LC for the CPU over the air cooling it seems so I went with those as per my new build here:

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1024825

I still haven't made the purchase yet. I was intending to wait a bit for more info about the Asus Maximus VII Formula MOBO as the built in WiFi and Bluetooth intrigues me. I was in the process of rebuilding the Slade model but noticed I don't have the options to select the same CPU and MOBO as the one danjw1 built for me. (In above link). The default CPU is a 6 core and MOBO options don't include the Maximum VII Hero. Is there a way to expand the list of options?

I tried customizing the Level 4 Slade FYI.

Thanks,

Edited by Xenris - 05 Aug 2014 at 7:16pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 2:49am
Start with the Slade level 3, for the same chipset/motherboard that danjw1 showed you.   The level 3 is the z97 mobo/chipset and the level 4 is the x79 mobo.   The two chipsets/mobo and cpu's aren't compatable with each other.

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Aug 2014 at 2:51am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 7:26am
The Maximus VII Formula, is still in limited availability and only as a bungle with Watchdogs, as best I can tell. It is only available through one online retailer, I don't know anything about availability to OEMs.

The Samsung 850 Series Pro, which is the best SATA SSD, should be available on Friday; though DS indicated they will wait to stock it until after they burn off their 840s.

Your build looks good. Looks like you sorted out the issue you were having with the builder.

UPDATE: I just looked at the ROG forums thread for the Maximus VII Formula, Raja (Asus Employee) said that the unbundled M7F would be available "Some time this month (soon)". Hopefully, by then, it will also be more widely available.

Edited by danjw1 - 06 Aug 2014 at 7:43am
Xenris View Drop Down

Quote Xenris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 7:22pm
Ohhhhh I didn't even consider that they had different chip sets. I did some additional research, the z97 would be more ideal for my purposes I imagine you guys would agree? Another thing, it doesn't even seem possible to get a 4 core cpu on a x79 chip set right?

@danjw1 that sounds great! I'll keep looking for when the Formula comes out. I'll also research more into the SSD market before making my purchase. Right now I'm not in a rush and can wait a month or 2, ideally though with a lot of next gen games coming out this Fall I'd like to get it sooner than later.

Thank's again for looking into my build :)
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 8:34am
I am happy to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply