FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a new laptop for school/gaming Purposes

Post Date: 2012-08-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
THERyu523 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote THERyu523 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need a new laptop for school/gaming Purposes
    Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:59pm
Hello,

I am looking to spend $1,000 - $1,100 total on a Laptop capable of running most to all modern games at high graphics while also being able to do 3D renderings such as blender or Maya.  I plan to use this laptop quite a bit for gaming and also game programming intensive activities like rendering 3d worlds using rasterizers etc.  I have already looked at the xm15 with the specs pasted below but it is a bit more pricey than I was looking for.  I would like this laptop to last my 4 years in Game Programming school also.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone!

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm x15 Laptop (Model: 9130)
Display: 15.6 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 3610QM (2.3 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.3Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) <b></b>
Thermal Compound: Stock CPU and GPU Thermal Compound
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: - Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Wireless Card: 802.11 B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 1.5GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

p.s. I hope I didn't leave anything useful out of this post if so please inquire more of my intentions if unclear.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 1:04pm
The laptop you have in mind is definitely good and will do the items you need. It's difficult because your budget is limiting you on items that you wish to have a high-end laptop for.

The good news is that the the latest next-gen hardware that is out (listed in your specs above) will do exactly what you need and should have no problem. Plus, you can always upgrade it in the future.
angleblue63 View Drop Down

Quote angleblue63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 3:35am
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Marauder level 3 last week, and it's currently being shipped. I was just wondering, does digital storm use OEM reference design graphics cards or specific brands [eg: Sapphire/XFX/HiS/EVGA] in their configs?
 Post Reply Post Reply