Post Date: 2008-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thomas Lindemann View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thomas Lindemann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My Review
    Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 2:43am

OK so after waiting a month and a half for the USPS and the US Army (both can go to hell, I can’t wait to get back to the states so I can use UPS again) to deliver my DSO system It has finally arrived! So I will walk you through my experience.

1. Ordering, I had my wife actually place the order for me since I was still in Iraq at the time and it is just so much easier, and a better connection without a delay, than me calling myself. Absolutely no issues, they looked at my build and made a couple of small recommendations ( I think Alex maybe talked to me in yahoo chat) only concern I had was Vista since all I have heard were horror stories and I was assured it was completely stable, and it is.

2. Build time and shipping, again no problems, this was my second DSO system and both of them were completed within their target of 10 days. Shipping on the other hand was a nightmare (no fault of DSO) because I’m in the Army and overseas USPS is my only real option, and since it was such a large box it was only able to be sent parcel, so that means the good old Army will take its sweet ass time if it wants, which can become quite frustrating! And the USPS won’t be any help either as asking for someone to assist is like asking for their first borne! But it did arrive well packaged and unhurt so that was good. Only two things here  if I had known that it would’ve taken so long to get here I would have waited to  order until I got back to the states (in early December) as prices have dropped drastically and I could’ve gotten a quite a few more upgrades. Secondly I requested some assistance through the automated customer service program and another through e-mail in regards to some shipping docs without a response, I would recommend just calling DSO for any assistance as that seems to be the best results.

3. The system, as with my previous DSO system,  arrived securely packaged, it included a very nice binder with all the disk need for any type of reformatting as well as all the literature for the individual components. It also included a multitude of assorted cables for additional components and configurations. Of course after setting it up it started and ran (and has continued to run) without a single problem. My fear of Vista was quickly overcome and after a couple hours on blackvipers website I trimmed most of the eye candy and unnecessary programs off. It will still take a little time to fully get used to Vista but i think it will be just fine. A couple of notes here 1. 280 GTX is the bomb! Gaming is almost another spectrum all together 2. Razer Barracuda AC-1 is awesome! Very easy to configure and brings such a better sound to gaming 3. WD Velociraptor is crazy fast 4. stage 3 cooling on a CM stacker case is a little loud, not bad, I game with head phones (Sennheiser PC 350 that fully cover your ears) so I can’t even hear it anyway and the system sits right next to me, when I’m not gaming I do know it’s there but it doesn’t bother me any. So far I have only installed BF2 and Project Reality along with my Steam account, and those games run without a hiccup! Overall I'm more than pleased with my purchase, I have owned my first DSO system for right at a year now and it has continued to run without a single issue and I'm not expecting anything different from this one.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 2:50am
Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

glad to hear you got your system and glad to hear that you are getting used to vista, its much like xp but with extras, but now you are using all of your system's ram unlike 32bit OS like xp 32bit.

so when will you be able to take pics? did you OC?
pgarthw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote pgarthw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 4:01am
Congrats!  My new DSO system is set to deliver today via FEDEX.  I cannot wait.  I'm in the same boat as you, this will be my 1st Vista experience.  What is that "blackviper" site you referenced?  I will have to look that up and learn some of the in-outs of Vista.  I thought about having DS disable the non-critical stuff, but for this same reason I would like to see what all is there and available.

Thomas, where are you stationed at?  I was in South Korea from 1994-1995 when I was in the military (Army 19k Tanker).  It was an experience (and a year of drinking!).  Anyway, thanks for your service and again....congrats on the system.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 4:25am
with these systems, quadcore, 4GB or ram, you don't realy need to disable any services, cause you won't notice a difference with these types of system, they are too powerfull for anybody to notice a difference.

now if you had 1GB of ram that would be different.

with vista you just need to get ride of the annoyances

basically disable uac, and take control of folder permissions.
Jeremiah.L View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 9:09am
I like the UAC, but I wish it wasn't so persistent with things. Like, have it warn you the FIRST time you want to run a program, then have it remember that this program, in this location, with this hash is okay for the computer.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 9:11am
LOL, I couldn't use vista, If uac was not disabled, it drives me nuts
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 9:29am
DSO gave me my rig with UAC disabled. I enabled it, just because I only find it a very minor annoyance, and is nothing deal breaking for me. 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 9:30am
Oh, and thank you for your service Thomas. May your DSO rig keep you up for many nights.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 9:39am
aha, I didn't know they did that, did you ask them to tweak windows, or did they do that on their own?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 9:43am
I did not ask them. It just came that way. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 9:47am
niche, you got to love DS, they even tweak the basic stuff for free
Setara View Drop Down

Quote Setara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 10:09am
The more I'm here, the happier I am that I found this place LOL
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 1:42pm
Thumbs%20Up
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 1:45pm
pictures!
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Setara

The more I'm here, the happier I am that I found this place LOL
Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply