FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple questions on new BlackOps Enix build!

Post Date: 2011-10-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eXistenZ View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eXistenZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Multiple questions on new BlackOps Enix build!
    Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 6:03pm
Budget:
$2500 - I already own speakers, headphones, mouse, and an Asus VH242H 24" Monitor.

Expectations:
I'm looking for a sleek, quiet system. Primary usage will be for games like Starcraft 2, Modern Warfare 3, Old Republic, and Skyrim. But I also would like to be able to accomplish some light sound editing/mixing. I'm computer literate but lack some of the more specific technical know-how, so I don't want to be messing around too much with overclock frequencies and fan speeds on my own. Just a mild CPU overclock from the builder that will run stable and quiet as possible with a nicely upgraded CPU Fan/Heatsink, instead of watercooling so as to minimize maintenance on my end.

Questions:
- Will the RAM run at 2000MHz out of the box? Would it be better for my purposes to go with 16gb of standard 1600MHz?
- Is the 750watt power supply adequate for my specs? What about if I eventually add another GTX 580?
- Would the Intel Core i7 chip offer any major positives for my expected usage? (It seems the 'hyperthreading' capabilities are mostly for graphic design and other more high-end requirements)
- Would this case pose any problem for the antennae that connect to the wireless adapter? Better option for wireless with this case?
- I would like to use the SSD as a performance boosting cache for the HDD. Do I have to select a RAID option for that? Or is that simply done via the Intel SRT Interface?
- Does my fan option put upgraded fans(quiet w/ blue LEDs) in all available case vents or just a specific one?
-Lastly, is there anyway to get this case without the red accents?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Saved Ticket #: 611425

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Black OPS Enix Edition

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Intel Z68 Chipset) (Features Intel Quick Sync Technology)

System Memory: 8GB DDR3 2000MHz GTX-8 Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible)

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (40GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X-25V Edition) (Extreme Performance)

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)

Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)

Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15)

Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA Edition)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance

Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)

Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)

Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:29pm
IMHO that config is all wrong.

for your res we recommend sli, your config can't do sli 580, your mobo does not offer you anything extra (unless for your use it does, if that is the case let me know), ram speed does not matter, only get 16GB if you need that much and go with 1600MHz.

when you looking at cpu, don't just look at test benches that have nothing to do with our pc environment, test benches test one app/game at a time, we have multiple stuff running, also win7 supports ht, with 2500k you won't be taking advantage of that, also don't just go by how its doing today, you want to own the pc for the next 3 to 5 years, so think about how it will feel then, with apps/games moving toward multi core/thread support, the 2600k will feel more powerful in the future than the 2500k. Also win7 itself uses HT, with 2500k you will be missing out on that.

your case is too small I never recommend that case, with a good ssd you don't need to use as cache for hdd and you will get better performance from teh ssd itself, the ssd you have chosen is the old gen, little slower, less more cost more, fan upgrade are loud fans.

if you want a system that can do dual sli, look at ode 3, its under your budget but has everything, you just need to add more ram to it if you need it, or if you want a custom config with better parts, then with sli its gonna be around $2800, with just a single gpu probably around your max budget.

if you want a quiet config you have to go custom and raise the budget.

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Oct 2011 at 7:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply