FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mouse advice requested

Post Date: 2014-07-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Mouse advice requested
    Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:50am
I have huge hands and have yet to find a mouse that fits well for someone who does the palm grip rather than claw grip.  I like the base of my palm to actually rest on the surface and my fingers still extend over the front of the mouse.

I currently use a Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse as it was the biggest and most comfortable I've found, but I would like one that's a bit more responsive for gaming.

I tried a Razer Naga in the past but even with the extra pieces you could attach it was far to small to be comfortable.

Any suggestions for a mouse that works well in MMOs and RPGs that's big enough for massive hands and long, lean fingers?
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:13pm
I use the Corsair M95 myself and I love the hell out of this mouse.

One of the highest dpi's you can buy on the market, perfect weight.. great mouse.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Arterial View Drop Down

Quote Arterial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

I have huge hands and have yet to find a mouse that fits well for someone who does the palm grip rather than claw grip.  I like the base of my palm to actually rest on the surface and my fingers still extend over the front of the mouse.I currently use a Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse as it was the biggest and most comfortable I've found, but I would like one that's a bit more responsive for gaming.I tried a Razer Naga in the past but even with the extra pieces you could attach it was far to small to be comfortable.Any suggestions for a mouse that works well in MMOs and RPGs that's big enough for massive hands and long, lean fingers?

I have pretty large hands, and I use a fingertip style grip using Razer Ouroboros (I personally love Razer). The back is adjustable, and I have it at the smallest setting. If you were to extend it all the way, it would probably do well for a palm grip. I'd recommend going to BestBuy/Tiger Direct or some other showroom to see if you can get a better size estimate.

Edited by Arterial - 25 Jul 2014 at 3:06pm
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 3:07pm
Meller,

Thanks for the recommendation.  Unfortunately, Corsair gives no way for me to gauge its size as they don't provide any specs of that sort whatsoever on their information page for the mouse.  I wasn't able to find it on review sites, and Amazon and NewEgg are missing it as well.

Any idea how big it is in comparison to my Logitech mouse?
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Arterial

I have pretty large hands, and I use a fingertip style grip using Razer Ouroboros (I personally love Razer). The back is adjustable, and I have it at the smallest setting. If you were to extend it all the way, it would probably do well for a palm grip. I'd recommend going to BestBuy/Tiger Direct or some other showroom to see if you can get a better size estimate.

Not an option for me, unfortunately.  I live 4 hours' drive from the nearest Best Buy and there are no Tiger Direct stores within 1000 miles.  The nearest Fry's is probably 6+ hours away.  The best we have is Staples, which only carries Microsoft and Logitech mice.

I had the Razer Naga, which was purportedly one of their biggest mice, but it was tiny in comparison to this Logitech Performance MX that you see in the photo.  I was getting arthritic trying to use it, another reason I need the more relaxed palm grip as opposed to claw grip type of use.

Based on my own experience with the Naga, I suspect that even with the adjustable back you mention, the Ouroboros will still be too small.  From base of the palm to the tip of my index finger is almost precisely 8".  I really need a HUGE mouse.

Edited by Roykirk - 25 Jul 2014 at 3:22pm
PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:54pm
Get some cheese, and trap a R.A.T 7 mouse! You can adjust them to fix your hands. I am a big man too, so I know they are good.
I-5 14600 KF
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5
32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
SSD M.2 2TB Samsung 990 PRO
RTX 4080 16GB
H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 by 1440
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:17pm
Not sure on the exact dimensions, but I can say it's a decent sized mouse. Wide too... I absolutely love it. Out of all the Naga's and Logitech mice I've owned... this M95 destroyed them all.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 10:47am
All these mice sound interesting, but it sounds like unless I find them somewhere that I can put my hands on, I need to wait.  Everyone has a preference.

There's a Fry's in Fremont, so maybe I can swing a trip there AND to DS on the same day. Evil
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 9:55pm

Oh I recommend, HIGHLY, visiting our friends at DS.... and since there happens to be a Fry's a mile or so up the road, all the better.

While you're in the Bay Area, there's quite a few Best Buys and other peripheral stores to get your hands on some real product and take the guess work out.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 1:47pm
Well, Snaike, I was originally going to visit them in August, but then Alex let me know that they don't give any facility tours, so I'm not sure it's worth the trip for that alone.  So I decided against making a trip to the East Bay (I'm visiting folks on the Peninsula).

Has anyone been to their headquarters?  If so, is there aught of interest in the lobby (or whatever part of the building it is where they allow the public)?

Having a Fry's nearby is the only reason why I'm reconsidering at this point.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 3:44am
My tour consisted of the shipping and (inadvertantly, after walking in the wrong door) receiving departments. Met some of the guys in the back at like 9am when they were just getting in to work... (yea, I was in that big of a hurry to get the machine!)

Really good guys in the back to help out and stuff. On the way over I was thinking about asking if I could poke my head around the corner to see what's what... but when I finally saw my little Vanquish II the only thing I wanted to do was get home and plug it in, so the poking around idea kind of fell by the wayside.

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 10:43pm
Well, I should be hitting DS headquarters tomorrow (Wednesday) morning around 10am.  That's the plan at least.  However, I'm going to have to go to another Fry's.  The one near them doesn't have half the mice people were recommending.  Some of the others on the Peninsula are much better stocked, so will probably hit one of those

Not sure what DS will have for me to see of their facilities and systems, but I'll be talking to a tech while there as my Krypton has been running hotter lately, which concerns me as that was one of the primary criteria by which I base the quality of a laptop.  I already did a cleaning (dusting) of the heatsinks but that doesn't seem to have helped much.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 3:00am
Have fun there today.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 5:11am
I suppose since you're peninsula bound that you're heading over to Palo Alto Fry's.  Last time I was there, lots of selection and one of their biggest stores.
Good luck on that.

When you get to DS, and you're standing around with the tech folks, feel free to shout "THANK YOU DS, YOU ROCK!!" for all of us.

(Oh... and sneak a pic or two of Alex, Nav and Asangard.... Alex will be the one running around making sure everything is getting done, Nav will be either taking photos/videos or playing BF4 on the biggest machine and Asangard will be online chatting with everyone who hits the website.... look for the 5 monitor display...)

AwesomeNinjaAwesome
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 6:36am
it would be awesome to see the fine employees of DS
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 6:57am
Here's a picture of one of them.    Anyone care to guess?   HahahaLOL

Kidding. Whoa
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Snaike

I suppose since you're peninsula bound that you're heading over to Palo Alto Fry's.  Last time I was there, lots of selection and one of their biggest stores.

The very one I will be perusing.

As for taking some pics, we'll see what I can get away with.  Sounds pretty super-secret-squirrel, so their security thugs may be tossing me out.  Maybe I'll set my son up to distract them.  Evil
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:06am
Maybe you'll get to work with Thann Phan, Digital Storm System Builder... last seen working with the PCGamer crew on the Large Pixel Collider. (Still one of my favorite vids)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by bprat22

Here's a picture of one of them.    Anyone care to guess?   HahahaLOLKidding. Whoa

Naw.. that was when the security camera caught me walking in the wrong door when I went to get my baby.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:12am
LOL       So that's what you look like on a good hair day.  Hahaha

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Aug 2014 at 9:12am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 10:57am
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 6:20pm
Well, I went to the Palo Alto Fry's after my DS visit and did pick up a mouse.  I settled on the Logitech G700s for both me and my son.  I was all set to pick up the Razer Mamba, but then found out it has the same wired recharging base/wireless receiver on the Razer Naga Epic, so that nixed that.  If I'm going wireless, I don't want that unwieldy hardware.  The G700s felt good, very much like my Performance MX, and had the small dongle, programmable buttons, and recharged directly off the PC with no AC connection needed.  You can use it as a wired mouse as well with the charging cable.

I tried the Corsair M95 and the R.A.T. 7 and 9, but none of them felt right.  Mamba felt good and would have been my number one choice but for the wireless connectivity issues.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 3:42am
nice.. glad you found something that you like.

Good ol' Fry's.... been going there since the late 80s...  I think the Palo Alto store is the oldest one still around, but not the original.  I vaguely remember heading further south to get there... Santa Clara?  Sunnyvale?  eh..

Anyway...  again.. grats on the right mouse.. enjoy! Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply