FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mom Needs Advice Please

Post Date: 2014-07-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
soccerchick View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Mom Needs Advice Please
    Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 1:00pm
Hi there,
So happy I found DS.  I have a feeling that I will be able to buy a great gaming PC for my son's 13th birthday, but I will need a bit of help.  If some of you experts have a bit of time to assist me I would greatly appreciate it.
My son plays Minecraft, Dayz, League of Legends, TFT and sometimes GTA and a few others of that sort.  Right now he uses his macbook pro laptop and I would like to get him a gaming PC.  He probably won't do too much else on the PC, just internet surfing, Youtube, Skype, etc...
My budget isn't huge and I would like to keep it under $1000 if possible.  I am looking at the Vanquish ll and the more I research the more confused I get.  I am looking at the "good" and "better" levels of the Vanquish ll.  I want to get him something that he can have fun with, but I don't want to overkill it and get stuff he doesn't need or won't have use for.  I have read the articles about things to look for in a gaming PC, but before I make the order I really would feel better if some of you nice experienced folks could help me out. 
Would the basic "good" or "better" Vanquish ll suffice for his needs?  Or maybe the basic with a couple of upgrades here and there? 
Any suggestions really would be appreciated.
I would like to order from DS by tomorrow at the latest.
Thanks!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 1:13pm
Hi soccerchick.. Welcome to the forums.    You didn't mention the monitors resolution , but if it's the popular 1920x1080 monitor or hd tv, then the Vanquish level 3 would be my pick if you don't mind maxing your budget.   The Vanquish lvl 2 will game decently but the level 3 is about 40% better gaming. It's gtx 760 is much stronger than the 750ti, plus the lvl 3 has a 4 core cpu vs 2 core with lvl 2. The level 3 has a stronger power supply for more flexibility in any future upgrade.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Go to the top of this forum and under, Vanquish 2 Benchmark Data, you can compare the levels.

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Jul 2014 at 1:16pm
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 1:24pm
I agree with bprat22. Here is a link to the post he mentioned: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/vanquish-ii-benchmark-data-tidf22242/

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi soccerchick.. Welcome to the forums.    You didn't mention the monitors resolution , but if it's the popular 1920x1080 monitor or hd tv, then the Vanquish level 3 would be my pick if you don't mind maxing your budget.   The Vanquish lvl 2 will game decently but the level 3 is about 40% better gaming. It's gtx 760 is much stronger than the 750ti, plus the lvl 3 has a 4 core cpu vs 2 core with lvl 2. The level 3 has a stronger power supply for more flexibility in any future upgrade.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Go to the top of this forum and under, Vanquish 2 Benchmark Data, you can compare the levels.

Thank you both so much.  I have no idea what all that means in the little chart, but I imagine that it means that the games will play well and look really cool!
I will need to purchase a monitor for him as well, so if either of you have any suggestions for me so that I get him a nice one that would be great, too!
Thanks again for your help!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:22pm
Our pleasure.

The chart shows frames per second on a 1920x1080 monitor. The higher the fps bar graph the smoother the gaming. We all live for fps.

I game on a Dell UltraSharp u2312.    An excellent IPS monitor. It is a few bucks more than other excellent monitors. I don't do much looking into monitors so maybe others can give their picks. Asus makes good screens.

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:26pm

Our pleasure.

The chart shows frames per second on a 1920x1080 monitor. The higher the fps bar graph the smoother the gaming. We all live for fps.

I game on a Dell UltraSharp u2312.    An excellent IPS monitor. It is a few bucks more than other excellent monitors. I don't do much looking into monitors so maybe others can give their picks. Asus makes good screens.
Awesome!  I will check out monitors next.  I guess I can pick up a nice one at Best Buy or similar store.  Nice to know about the fps, thanks for explaining.
So...if I order the Vanquish ll level 3 and pick up a good quality monitor I should be sitting pretty?  Do I need any other upgrades on the computer itself?  I know I will probably need to pick up a mouse/keyboard and such, but do you think I will be good with the Vanquish level 3 the way it is configured?
Thanks again!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:43pm
Vanquish 3 is a best bang for your buck rig. A lot for your money.   Digital Storm did a great job giving gamers a strong performer for those that don't want to spend thousands.

No upgrades needed.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Jul 2014 at 2:44pm

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:48pm

Vanquish 3 is a best bang for your buck rig. A lot for your money.   Digital Storm did a great job giving gamers a strong performer for those that don't want to spend thousands.

No upgrades needed.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Thanks!  Done deal!!  I'll order right now!!  My son is SO EXCITED!! 
Thanks for all your help.  It's nice to know that you helpful folks are out here looking out for us newbs!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:57pm
Stay in touch and let us know what you and your son think. Just a quick heads-up, because it does come up, make sure you hook the monitor to the video card port, below the rear fan, and not the integrated video port next to the rear fan near the audio, USB ports. The video card might have a plastic cap over some of the dvi, hdmi ports.

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:06pm

Stay in touch and let us know what you and your son think. Just a quick heads-up, because it does come up, make sure you hook the monitor to the video card port, below the rear fan, and not the integrated video port next to the rear fan near the audio, USB ports. The video card might have a plastic cap over some of the dvi, hdmi ports.

Wow!  You must have been reading my mind!   I was just wondering to myself if this would be tough to set up.  Was thinking about searching Youtube for some "unboxing" type videos.  Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind!

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:43pm

One final question...from what I can tell, it looks like this computer will come ready to access our home's wireless internet, am I correct?  I don't have to add any type of internet card or something?
Thanks.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:03pm
you are probably going to need to buy a cheap wireless usb adaptor because the motherboard doesn't have any wireless capabilities its just the standard ethernet port
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:17pm
Like Arkansas said, no wireless with the Vanquish.   Go to Amazon or a local box store and get a USB wireless adapter, like d-link, netgear, etc for about $15 give or take.   Just plugs in externally.

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:40pm

Like Arkansas said, no wireless with the Vanquish.   Go to Amazon or a local box store and get a USB wireless adapter, like d-link, netgear, etc for about $15 give or take.   Just plugs in externally.
Perfect, thanks to you both!

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 11:12am
Just a quick update:  I ordered the Vanquish ll level 3 for my son!  The only additions I made were adding the CM Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard/Mouse combo and of course I ordered him a t-shirt.  Gotta have the swag!  Lol...
I feel so confident about my decision to go with Digital Storm and I thank you for the assistance with my silly questions.
The only thing left to do now (as we await delivery of the rig) is to research and purchase a monitor, headset and usb wireless adapter. 
I think I am as excited as my son is!! 
Thanks again for your help!  I will be back in the forum if we need help getting the rig running!  Hopefully it will be easy. Oops
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 11:44am
Originally posted by soccerchick

Just a quick update:  I ordered the Vanquish ll level 3 for my son!  The only additions I made were adding the CM Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard/Mouse combo and of course I ordered him a t-shirt.  Gotta have the swag!  Lol...
I feel so confident about my decision to go with Digital Storm and I thank you for the assistance with my silly questions.

The only thing left to do now (as we await delivery of the rig) is to research and purchase a monitor, headset and usb wireless adapter. 

Thanks again for your help!  I will be back in the forum if we need help getting the rig running!  Hopefully it will be easy. Oops

I do recommend my Asus Vh238h monitor
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

Thanks!  It is going for $159 at BB.  Is 23" a good size for gaming?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 12:36pm

Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

Thanks!  It is going for $159 at BB.  Is 23" a good size for gaming?

In my opinion it is

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 10 Jul 2014 at 12:36pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 1:07pm
I agree with Arkansas here.
While I'll be pushing for a larger one myself when I order my new computer, I've been playing on a 23" monitor for the last few years, and it is a fantastic size. Fits just fine in most places without being excessively large or bulky, and 1920 x 1080 is a great resolution to play on.

You won't go wrong with an ASUS monitor, either.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 1:07pm
Congrats on your Vanquish lvl 3 order.    Real nice.

Yeah, the 23" monitor is a very popular size, it's real estate giving you plenty to play on. Big difference over the old 19" I had a several years ago.   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 2:03pm
Grats on the 3! ... you just sent your son to gaming heaven.

While the others have spoken admirably on monitors, allow me to poke at your other two concerns. USB wireless can be purchased anywhere... big box to online. It's a simple USB dongle that you can put in the back of the Vanquish and leave it alone. No muss, no fuss, done and done.

Gaming headphones. My son (16) and I both use the Turtle Beach X12s. Simple, lightweight, good sound and good microphone pick up for gaming with the fellas without getting all esoteric because they aren't $100+ cans. The X12s have 3 connections (mic, sound and power) and it just so happens that there are three connections for this on the front top face of the Vanquish model. Makes it really easy.

And (BONUS) if he wants to use the X12s for his consoles (if he still wants to play with his consoles after seeing the awesomesauce that is PCGaming) the X12s come with a very long cord.

Those are my recommendations.
YMMV   

Quote soccerchick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 4:38pm
You guys seriously ROCK!!  Thanks again.  OK...I did some research and here is my list:

Monitor:  ASUS (VN247HP) 23.6" LED HP - 189.99

Headphones: Turtle Beach X12 - 43.99

USB wireless adapter (probably Netgear N300 or Range Max).  This seems like a no-brainer, but after looking at some reviews I had a question.  Will using a USB wireless adapter slow down game play a significant amount?

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 2:45am
Looks like a good adapter to me.   
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:23am

Will using a USB wireless adapter slow down game play a significant amount?

No, WiFi is usually faster then the internet connection and USB should be able to keep up no problem. USB 2.0 has a speed of ~280Mbps, which is faster then most internet connections and WiFi bandwidth.
 Post Reply Post Reply