FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Minor laptop questions

Post Date: 2014-07-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kahless View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kahless Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Minor laptop questions
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 1:14pm
I don't NEED a laptop, but i can pull off the buy now pay later option, i'm going to pull the trigger on a Krypton level 2.

Questions are... and i'm not as tech savvy as i should be so...

1. Should i get the Premium Thermal Compound? Is it really worth using?

2. SSD and HDD - do SSDs run cooler? I plan on using the laptop for mostly 1 game, gaming. Would it be worth it to use the SSD in terms of lessening my temperature burden?

3. What the PRACTICAL difference between the stock 802.11 wireless cards and the Intel Duel Band Wireless AC-7260? I mean i understand it's 'faster' but that doesn't really mean much to me on paper. I'm not an Ork, just having something being painted red doesn't make them go faster in my world, if you know what i mean?

4. Is there anything you would scream at a gaming laptop buyer before he buys? Something that you always always always purchase, or add-on, or anything i should definitely take into consideration and you regret not being able to shout it to every buyer everywhere?!

Thanks all - love all my DS computers and i really want to give a laptop a try. Been preaching the DS word for 6 years now, to everyone who asks anything about costume gaming rigs. Looking forward to hopefully do the same with the laptops!

Edited by Kahless - 28 Jul 2014 at 1:14pm
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 1:57pm
1) It might shave a degree or two off your temps, and with laptops, every degree is good as those are harder to cool than a desktop.

2) Don't have an answer for you there.  Storage temps were not a concern for me when I bought my Level 3+.  I have both an mSATA and a platter drive, but haven't measured temps.

3) For me, I wanted WiDi.  I've had it on previous laptops and I have a Netgear WiDi box to push my laptop graphics to my Samsung HDTV for watching of streaming and other video.  I don't game over it as it would be too laggy for that.  As for speed, supposedly the Killer wireless card is fastest, but that wasn't my concern.  Features were my concern.

4) Buy the beefiest video card you can possibly buy.  If you can get the 880M, do it.  Those 8GB of RAM on that card make for a texture-laden Skyrim experience that I wouldn't be able to get with a lesser card.  You're also talking about laptop graphics still lagging behind desktop as far as performance, so if you want to be happy with this for at least 2-3 years, spring for the big card if you can.
Kahless View Drop Down

Quote Kahless Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:05pm
Anyone else got anything to add in? Going to pull the trigger tonight on a purchase, anything else anyone wants to add in would be great.
 Post Reply Post Reply