FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mid-level build with potential

Post Date: 2015-02-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lance View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lance Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: mid-level build with potential
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 8:49pm
Budget: $2000

Expectations: better than good present play upgrade-able

Usage: Some gaming, general word and video use

Hey all, I appreciate any help you can give me. I have decided on the basic Slade build platform ($1,596) with the following changes:

ASUS Z97 PRO motherboard w/wifi
H2O satge 2 120mm cpu cooler
noise reduction 2
CX750m power

Total with changes: $1,792

My plan is to have a very quiet rig that plays very well right now, but can be tweaked and upgraded as I go. Are there other considerations I am not thinking of??

How about a monitor that can take advantage of this?
Keyboard and mouse?

Thanks for your help,
Lance
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:01pm
Instead of the noise reduction 2 (the 550D case already has noise dampening material in it), get the EVGA SuperNOVA PSU. Other than that, it looks good.

If you are going with a GTX 960 GPU, I would look for a nice FHD/WUXGA (1920 x 1080-1200) or you could perhaps do a QHD (2560 x 1440) for moderate graphics detail settings in your games. Search around on this forum, much has been discussed on monitors. If you want better graphics settings on QHD, I'd look to stepping up to a GTX 970.

I posted about keyboards here: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/configuration-help-needed-tidf24107/. They are really specific to what you are looking for in a keyboard and worth a little research. While there are a bunch of brands of keyboards out there, there are only a handful of makers of the switches, so you want to pay attention to that.

The latest Logitech mice have been getting excellent reviews: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-mice# (the ones with the "02" in their number.
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:06pm
The GTX 960 is a good video card but that 2G ram bothers me given the games out now using over 3G memory and, with directX 12 coming in Win10, more of the video applications will be taking advantage of more video ram.

For these reasons I'd go to the GTX 970 video card.

For a monitor do some research. Look at the IPS and Gsync monitors for speed and TN monitors for more accurate color reproduction.

Keyboard and mouse is a personal preference. You want a mouse that fits your hand and matches your use. Gaming mice can have 3-10 programmable buttons for macros or key binding and come in 2 flavors, laser or optical.
Keyboards can be mechanical ( each letter is a switch) or membrane (a rubber membrane across the board with pads that initiate the contacts on the electronic board).
Membrane will have a softer touch while mechanical will sometimes be more accurate.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Pacesetter

Look at the IPS and Gsync monitors for speed and TN monitors for more accurate color reproduction.

Slight correction...TN for fast response (down to 1ms gray-to-gray and a little bit longer for black-white-black). IPS has better color and viewing angles. G-Sync (NVIDIA) and FreeSync (AMD) are technologies that synchronize the frame refresh rates of the monitors dynamically with however fast the GPU is pushing out new processed frames (removes tearing and other artifacts in the image that can typically occur).
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:49pm
I was thinking refresh rates as TN is limited to 60hz and the others can go up to 144hz.

You are right though for response rates.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:31pm
TN is still used by gamer's who value the very fast refresh rate. But Acer is supposedly releasing an IPS that can do high refresh rates of 120-144Hz (the IPS monitors have been limited so far to 60Hz), but there are rumors that it is not a true IPS panel, but one that can achieve the same characteristics of an IPS panel at the higher refresh rates.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 5:18am

I was thinking refresh rates as TN is limited to 60hz and the others can go up to 144hz.

The Asus VG248QE is a TN panel and can go up to 144hz
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Ashrilex View Drop Down

Quote Ashrilex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

The Asus VG248QE is a TN panel and can go up to 144hz

I will second this by saying there are a lot of TN panels that go above 60hz and usually up to 144hz.
 Post Reply Post Reply