Memory Problem or Memory Slot Problem

Post Date: 2013-05-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Memory Problem or Memory Slot Problem
    Posted: 13 May 2013 at 6:00pm
I have an EVGA X58 SLI motherboard. I am getting a error 68 on the motherboard and the computer refused to boot and I get no display at all on my monitor. If I reseat memory it works for awhile and then starts doing the same thing. The board has 6 memory slots (3 black and 3 green). The manual says for three sticks use the green ones. Can I use the 3 black ones to see if the problem is the 3rd memory slot and not the memory? I have run mem86 from a CD and it says memory fine.

Thanks
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2013 at 7:22pm
Have you tried just running the two sticks to see if that changes anything?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:24am
You sure thats 68 not b8? they look the same and both have to do with ram.

try one stick at a time in the colored slot and see if you can duplicate this error, if you can duplicate but with only one or two of the 3 sticks then its ram, if it happens with all sinbgle sticks in no matter which slot then its most likely your mobo or cpu mem controller.
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:54pm
OK, thanks for the help. I pulled out the memory sticks one more time and this time I used a can of air to blow out the memory slots. I reinstalled the sticks with the 3rd green memory slots being reseated twice to make sure. At this point it has run two days now without a hitch.

One question though. When I contacted support thinking it was the 3rd green slot they said leave the slot open and install my 3rd stick of 1GB memory (Mushkin) in a black slot. That got me thinking that maybe I should just buy 2 - 2GB memory sticks and install them in the first 2 green slots. This would avoid the 3rd slot and boost my memory from 3 to 4GB. With memory cheap I thought it was a good solution. Question is running Windows 7 32-bit version with a Nvidia GTX 560 Ti card and an I7 processor running at 2.8GHZ would I see a noticable improvement in performance?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2013 at 2:06pm
With 32bit OS you can't really use more then 3GB, you can do max of 4GB but on a 32bit its not worth it.

If you can upgrade the os to 64bit first.

x58 works in 3GB increments if you will so you want to be going 3GB then 6GB.

your sticks all should be in the colored slots, the Terminator is an x58 also as you see in my sig, I have 6GB of ram, 3 x 2GB sticks, and they are all in the colored slots as they should be.

your most improvement in performance will first come from moderate OC, aka run your i7 at 3.8/4.0GHz, that will give amazing boost as the cpu is the brain of your pc and ocing it is like making it be able to think much much faster, at 4.0GHz OC your in the safe zone and the cpu will out live the pc itself.

next performance booster would be a 64bit os to take advantage of more ram and after that of course you want to go to 6GB of ram. Now this upgrade will only help if you are maxing current ram with your use.

the above will help overall performance and some gaming performance.

for gaming performance you have to look at your res, the games you play and then see if a gpu upgrade will help or just make a minuscule difference with then would not be worth it.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 May 2013 at 2:07pm
caliskan View Drop Down

Quote caliskan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 1:16pm
@steveski, when you encounter such an issue, always go about it in the most methodical way possible. It looks to me like you still haven’t figured out what the issue it. From the tests you have already performed, it looked like a memory slot issue. Now when you encounter this, remove both RAMs, and just plug one in again in one port. Turn on your PC and see if it works without any issue, now you’ve established that the one RAM and slot you’re using is OK. Then insert the other RAM in the same slot and see if you get an issue. If it still works OK then the issue is with the other slot. Test it out to see what the issue is.

printed board assembly

Edited by caliskan - 06 Dec 2019 at 2:26pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 1:10am
He may not be having the issue any more.. the thread is a year old.

Ninja
 Post Reply Post Reply