FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Memory installation

Post Date: 2014-05-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rich46yo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rich46yo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Memory installation
    Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:22pm
Hi I have 3 4 gig Hyper X in my DS x58 SLI3 MB and want to increase it to 16 gigs. Can you tell me what slots to puit the 4'th stick in, which I just ordered? I have the 3 already in in the grey memory slots and am wondering where to put the 4th.

I hope adding 4 gigs is worth the money spent. Thank you.......Rich
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:49pm
Hi Rich46yo.... Your mobo is tri channel capable, meaning you should use either 3 or 6 ram sticks for the faster tri channel data. If you use 4 ram sticks then I believe you need to use the four slots furthest from the cpu. This gives you the added ram but at dual channel speed. Not sure you'll see the bandwidth difference.

Use your mobo manual to confirm this.

You should match the new ram stick to what you have, like 9-9-9-24 , or you might have issues.   Try it and if it works then good to go.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 13 May 2014 at 3:53pm
Rich46yo View Drop Down

Quote Rich46yo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2014 at 1:55am
Thank you. I was actually afraid of this. Let me ask you can I put two 2 gig sticks in along with the new 4 gig stick and still get tri channel? Thank you.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2014 at 4:11am
Not sure why you'd want to go from 3x 4gb to that 8gb total but I think it would work, but mixing ram is always iffy. It will probably work but you never can say for sure.   Your original 12 gb should be all you need for gaming and most apps, except heavier rendering, multitasking, etc.   I'm thinking the 2x 2gb would work at dual channel and the other at single channel because they are mixed size but that's a guess. Memory works with its weakest link.

Correction to my first post..... that mobo prioritizes the closest slots to the cpu. For the 4 ram sticks you'd use the closest not furthest slots to cpu.   Always good to use your mobo manual to check.     

I would stick to matched ram in triple if possible. It is more expensive than just adding one stick but less chance of issues. It does work for some and others have issues.   With ram, you just never know for sure.

Edited by bprat22 - 14 May 2014 at 4:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply