Post Date: 2014-04-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Oranos View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Oranos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking to Buy
    Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 7:46pm
Okay, so it's that time again, but my first time going with Digital Storm. My current computer has developed some issues that have basically turned it into a glorified paperweight. I'm afraid, however, that I haven't totally kept up with the latest and greatest in technology, so I could use a little bit of help in re-orienting myself with what's out there.

I'm especially unfamiliar with NVIDIA graphics cards (all of my previous computers have been ATI Radeon). I had my eye on the Level 4 Vanquish II, which looks like its sports a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB. I have no doubt the card is better than what I have now, which is a 5750, but reviewing the configuration options on some of the other models starts to get a little overwhelming after a while.   

Budget:

$1000-$1500. I don't mind spending a little bit more (up to about $1800), if I have to. I'm always open to doing some future proofing. No need to factor peripherals into that budget; I've already got my monitor, keyboard and mouse covered.

Expectations:

Gaming on a budget.

Usage:

Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Dead Space, BioShock. Concerned about the latest iteration of Dragon Age franchise, to be released later this year, which is making the switch to the Frostbite engine. Will the 770 handle Battlefield 4 (I'll use that game as my benchmark, for a lack of released system requirements for the other).

Special Needs:

The quieter the better.

Other Questions/Concerns:

I want faster load times. The laptop I purchased has a Solid State Drive, and the speed has totally spoiled me, so I think I'd like to have that in conjunction with a larger HDD. Just to verify, Digital Storm will go ahead and load the operating system onto the SSD and not the HDD, correct?

I'm a little concerned with the integrated sound card. If I go with the Vanquish II, can I open this thing up in the near future and easily add a dedicated card?

Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 8:41pm
 Here is a thread that has benchmark data for the Vanquish II.
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/vanquish-ii-benchmark-data-tidf22242/

You should be very happy with the performance.

Integrated sound now days is quite good.  Try it first, I don't think you will
find a need to change.

Yes, the OS will be put on the SSD.

Edited by Nomad1970 - 21 Apr 2014 at 8:44pm
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:39am
Here's another link benchmarking BF4 with a 1920x1080 at various graphic settings.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/3

At that resolution, on Ultra, fps would be in the  50's with 40's for minimum when things get heated,  and   over 60 fps on High consistently. 

The gtx 770 is a strong card.

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Just for kicks, here's a comparison of your 5750 to the 680 which is about the same as the 770.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/537?vs=555

Huge jump. Drooling

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Apr 2014 at 6:50am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 11:25am
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:37pm
I couldn't find a 5750 to 770 comparison, so here is a 5770 to 770 comparison.
The 5770 is about 10-15% better than the 5750.  As you can see, the 770 has frame rates about 2-3 times the 5770

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1078?vs=1037
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Oranos View Drop Down

Quote Oranos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:20pm
You guys are awesome, you know that?

Hopefully, I can get a couple of minutes tomorrow to sit down and look over everything. Busy, busy week so far.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:38am
Most of the games I play on the Vanquish II Ultimate (Skyrim, World of Tanks, Path of Exile and AC4:BF) all use the VSync with my older 1600x900 LG 20"...  my GTX 770 pumps out the steady 60fps and usually holds it's temps <60ºC.

Absolute stunning graphix and the card is laughing at the workload. 

Strong "Is that all you got?!" Strong
Oranos View Drop Down

Quote Oranos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 9:19am
Question from an aesthetics standpoint. The notice at the top of the page for the Vanquish II indicates that it comes in black casing with red LED fans, but below in the chassis fans section, it looks like it actually indicates the opposite, coming with standard fans. Looking at the Virtue Level 1, it offers the standard fans as the basic option as well, but the LED fans are a $59 upgrade. So... I'm confused as to what the Vanquish II is actually coming with.

Also, the Vanquish II looks like it's entirely pre-built, so there'd be no way to upgrade to a larger (240 GB) SSD. To do that, I would need to go with the Virtue or one of the other DS offerings.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 9:31am
Digital Storm did announce in another post, and mentioned as a notice on top of config page, that the Grey with Blue LED  fans is out of stock and replaced with Black case with Red LED fans.  Plus the new cases might not come with the internal lighting kit because of high demand.

The chassis fan selection in Vanquish is just a generic picture to show it uses the stock fans that come with it from Corsair.  There are different versions. 

The Vanquish are pre-built, meaning no changes to the build.  If you wanted a larger SSD, then you'd have to add it yourself or go to a custom setup as you mentioned.  Cheaper just to add it yourself.

Oranos View Drop Down

Quote Oranos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Digital Storm did announce in another post, and mentioned as a notice on top of config page, that the Grey with Blue LED  fans is out of stock and replaced with Black case with Red LED fans.  Plus the new cases might not come with the internal lighting kit because of high demand.

The chassis fan selection in Vanquish is just a generic picture to show it uses the stock fans that come with it from Corsair.  There are different versions.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks!

Originally posted by bprat22

The Vanquish are pre-built, meaning no changes to the build.  If you wanted a larger SSD, then you'd have to add it yourself or go to a custom setup as you mentioned.  Cheaper just to add it yourself.

True, but if I went with one of the custom setups, I'd probably splurge more than I'd originally planned and tweak more than just the SSD size. I'm kind of feeling the Ode's case.
Oranos View Drop Down

Quote Oranos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:01pm
Just wanted to thank you all again for your assistance. I just ordered the Vanquish II Level 4 tonight (I caved and upgraded my monitor too).
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Oranos

Just wanted to thank you all again for your assistance. I just ordered the Vanquish II Level 4 tonight (I caved and upgraded my monitor too).

Welcome to the family! Be sure to post pictures and a review once you receive it.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 1:31am
Congrats! .. enjoy your new "Budget Beating Beast"...

Post Reply Post Reply