FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for advice on a Gaming Laptop

Post Date: 2012-05-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jared View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for advice on a Gaming Laptop
    Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:38pm
Budget:
I plan to save about $2,500 by the time I am ready to buy a computer. Since it is going to be a laptop, I plan on using the keyboard and monitor that come with it, so a recommended mouse would be nice too!

Expectations:
So I would like to buy a top quality gaming laptop from you guys, and I would like to have one that is faster, something that will cool down, and not over heat and something I can use for gaming, some digital photo editing and some 3D model rendering. The computer I have now is something I made a mistake of buying. I did not research the brand at all and I regret doing so. And just to add, I know how to use a computer pretty well, but when it comes to specs, I'm not the one to be asking for advice.

Usage:
Like I mentioned above, I use my computer mostly for gaming. I play more Minecraft than anything, but that is because my current computer can't handle much more. I would like to be able to play things like Call of Duty and some other FPS games. I also use it for some 3D model rendering and some photo editing here and there.
So something that can handle these sort of things, with a pretty fast loading speed/time.

Saved Ticket #: 692592

Specifications:
Please let me know if I am making any wrong decisions, as I said, I don't have much of a clue about specs. I would also prefer it to have upgradeability.

Thanks a ton,
                               Jared

Edited by Jared - 25 May 2012 at 4:58pm
Apples will stay apples. Until they can become oranges.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 7:27pm
Build looks good. For your budget, you can go with the 17in if wanted, just a preference on what you want.

Id get the thermal compound, for the price, its worth it in my eyes, and not pricey at all.

Hard drive wise, you will want more space then just the 120gb SSD, so id plan to get an external drive, or skip the SSD and get a bigger hd.

Graphics card wise, the 7970 seems to be out performing the gtx 675. Its really up to you if you want to do it, but I would, and its still below your budget.

So in total, I upgraded your processor to the 3820, added the thermal compound, went with the 750gc Hybrid HD with 8gb SSD space, and upgraded the graphics card to the 7970. In total, price is 2263$ without shipping(35$)So well below your budget, pretty much the best you can get for the 15in series, and enough left over for any mouse you could want. Thats really up to you (wired, wireless, bluetooth. Used for everyday use, more buttons for online gaming etc, Traveling with it and all that to)

Edit- I went with the 17in level 4, got rid of 2nd HD since I dont need it, got the thermal compound, blue ray player, and upgraded wireless card, for 2374$. I already have a second HD, so that was the only downgrade really for me

Edited by redkulaid - 25 May 2012 at 7:31pm
Jared View Drop Down

Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 7:42pm
Thanks a ton! I will check out the build, and I hope I can get some input from others too! Now it just comes down to saving :D
Apples will stay apples. Until they can become oranges.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 7:48pm
well if you want to save, the build you have is more then fine, id save a bit more with a hybrid drive and not go with the ssd. Saves more, and its still great. Id still do the thermal compound though, that will save 100 bux or more in total, saving $$ is always good
 Post Reply Post Reply