FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Time Gamer in Search of Advice

Post Date: 2015-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IHateKate View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote IHateKate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Long Time Gamer in Search of Advice
    Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:26am
I have extensively researched about buying a new gaming PC, but alas, some information still eludes me. Any help with the following questions would be quite helpful. Although I've been gaming since the original Prince of Persia for Mac in 1992 that came on 5 floppy discs, I've always been more of a plug and play type person, only knowing enough to replace ram, GPU, and power supply's.

1) Motherboards- What is the difference between the different kinds? (ex. Z97 vs. X99) In terms of what each is capable of.

2) SSD's- I understand the concept of SSD's but what size is reasonable?

3) Processors- I read a lot of reviews with people saying "Oh that's more of a workstation processor, not a gaming one." I have no idea how to tell the difference or what the difference actually is.

4) Lastly I'm trying to find a "build" that's right for me. I can play around with builds but honestly I don't know if my video card is too advanced for the rest of my components, or if I'm going too large on processor or ram, or motherboard, and not going big enough on other things. Basically I would like to run League of Legends or World of Warcraft on max graphics on my main monitor, and on my 2nd monitor stream what I am playing on Twitch. Also would like to be able to clip game footage together but if that's too much then I can drop that. Budget is no issue for me.

I appreciate the time to read this and any advice you could partake.
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 6:24am
I'm not an expert but I can probably point you in the right direction. Remember, Google is yer frend!

Motherboards - the differences  you mentioned are chipsets they feature. I'd go to HardOCP, MaximumPC, maybe Guru3d and possibly Tom's Hardware to get the skinny on Mobo's, their chipsets, performance, reviews, community attitudes towards them, etc.

SSD's - opinions really vary. Myself, I don't like cluttering the main drive with games or software that's not system-related. So I opted in the past for about a 500Gg or so main drive, with a 500GB-1TB or more secondary SSD for games, videos and the like, and lastly an inexpensive platter drive for archving. that's my preference, however. Some like lots of drives & RAID, some prefer only 1 main drive and 1 archive, and so on.

I just recently bought two Samsung Pro 850's 1TB, just a FYI.

Depending on the OS you want, a main drive SSD of about 300Gg is average. Yes, go SSD, the tech has matured and platters are heading toward extinction.

CPU's - Can't help, really, I'm in the same boat. I wanted the Intel 5960X because I wanted the latest & greatest - but opinion's and research seem to indicate that, as a gamer, I'd be better off with a 5930, or even 5820. More cores != better for gaming (that's more for multitasking, heavy rendering or CAD, etc). Makes you really wish the gaming studios would get up to speed with multi-core and threading!

Im sure someone will speak up about CPU considerations.

One thing about all the opinions & reviews, though - they all assume you maximum performance per gaming dollar. That is, sure, that uber CPU might perform better, but it's too expensive - in their opinion. If you've the budget to go awesome, you are fine with overkill, why not? It's your money. On the other hand, if , while you do want great performance but it has to be a "smart buy" - well, then, gotta do the research.

Google! Then, when you get analysis paralysis, talk to DS or post stuffz here or other PC gaming forums.

Edited by Psimon - 11 Apr 2015 at 7:29am
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 9:24am
Hi IHateKate,

I suggest you go to the Configuration Forum and tell us how you use your computer, what games you play, your resolution and your budget. You will receive builds that match your requirements and most likely comments on why certain equipment was suggested. You can rely on the Forums members and DS to match a system to your requirements.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 11 Apr 2015 at 9:25am
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 2:19pm

For motherboards you first want to choose a processor as this will determine the motherboards you can use. Then you want to look at the specifications and options that the board has - how much memory can it support, how many ram slots does it have, how many and of what type of PCI slots, how many USB ports and what level (2.0 3.0 3.1), what can plug in - how many fans, how many drives, does it have M2 for faster drives, etc. Then you can pick one according to your needs and wants.

workstation processor can handle routine tasks, excel, some heavy computing and entry level gaming.

gaming processor is a faster processor that is programmed to work better with graphics and PhysX and generally has better built in graphics (for gaming you will want a separate graphics card).

SSDs are dependent on what you want it to be.
For a boot drive 120G is good along with a separate storage drive. If you want to use it for everything 500G-1Tb depending on how much storage you need. Some people combine the two with 120G boot drive and a 500g-1tb storage drive or 120g-500g boot drive and a HDD.

As far as build it depends on you and what you want it to do now and in the future.

The Velox lvl 2,3 or 4 would do.

If you want some overkill the Hailstorm lvl 1,2 or 3 would be good choices or the Aventum II lvl 3. Make sure to check the size and weight as these are big machines. The Aventum comes on a pallet.

Once you get a better handle on what computer you would like to have you can configure it and save that configuration, then post the configuration number on the configuration forum and have us check it out for recommendations.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 2:19pm
Kate must have done you wrong. 
IHateKate View Drop Down

Quote IHateKate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

That she did...
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 2:01am
Originally posted by IHateKate

Originally posted by Tidgxor

That she did...

Katydid?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist... I'll go back to my corner now.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 11:23pm
I still have to finish up the GPU and case/chassis/cooling sections, but I posted on "Configuring a Computer"...linked in my signature.
 Post Reply Post Reply