FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liquid Cooling Maintenance & Upgrade?

Post Date: 2014-02-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
patrickccrawford View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote patrickccrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Liquid Cooling Maintenance & Upgrade?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 11:02pm

My Hailstorm II is coming up on its first birthday and from what I’ve been reading online annual maintenance is recommended for custom liquid cooling loops.  So, that’s brought up a few questions…

From the guide that came with my PC, DS recommended FluidXP as the cooling fluid but most forums suggest that distilled water (with anti-fungal and other additives) is actually a better option - any opinions on this?

Since I’ll be working with my liquid cooling loop anyway I think I’ll be expanding it a bit too.  As it is right now, I’ve only got a 120mm dual radiator on the top but I think I’m going to add a 120mm quad to the bottom.

Does anyone know what brand of tubing (and diameter) DS uses?  I’ve got UV reactive blue tubing and I’d like the tubing I add to match.

Lastly, I’m a little worried that my current pump/res won’t be able to support as large of a loop as I want in the long run.  Should I be looking upgrade my pump too?

(edit: fixed some grammar)

Edited by patrickccrawford - 16 Feb 2014 at 11:04pm
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 6:06am
I'm not completely sure what pumps they use, but you can email Alex or just give tech support a call to ask what tubing they use or simply replace it with whatever tubing you buy. Just make sure you buy the right size, but once again I'm unsure of the diameter they use.

Distilled water works as a great coolant. It really just depends. You can buy mixes, with or without color if you want. But you'll get pretty much the same performance out of them all.

Some pumps, like the D5 are power houses and can support a 480mm Rad and a 240mm rad no problem. But I'd only add a 480mm if you're planning on cooling your GPU's also.

The Hailstorm II comes in the Corsair 900D case, which is a monster case made to house several radiators. I myself use the 900D, though it's not a DS, I did it myself.

I run a dual loop though. I have a 120 quad (480mm) and a 120 dual (240mm) on the bottom cooling my three cards, but they have their own res and pump, while I have a 120 quad (480mm) on the top cooling my chipset, ram, and cpu.

It really just depends on the amount of equipment you're cooling, the pumps your using, etc.. on if you need a dual pump set up, or a dual loop set up.

I realize I didn't give you a straight yes or no answer on really anything, but the additions take a little more work.

The actually maintenance - Drain it, flush it with distilled water (if you want), and fill it back up with either fresh brand name coolant (I prefer Mayhem) or some distilled water with an antifungus (I like the coils personally).

Sorry for the late response.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
patrickccrawford View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote patrickccrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep doing research on how much a pump can handle before I need to consider upgrading or adding a second.
On a somewhat related question: do you happen to know if it is bad to have two different pumps in the same loop? In the long run I'm going to have CPU/RAM/GPU water cooled (CPU only right now), but if I add a different pump I'm worried that the different flow rates might work against each other somehow.
I think that when it comes time for this project I'm going to go with distilled water - getting the right coolant to top-up my res is one less thing to worry about.
Digital Storm - Hailstorm II
i7 4770k @ 4.7ghz
ASUS Sabertooth
16GB Corsair Vengeance (O.C.) 1800
GTX 780
Corsair Nuetron GTX 120GB
1TB HDD
 Post Reply Post Reply