FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laptop For College

Post Date: 2014-11-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mzaq View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mzaq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Laptop For College
    Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 10:53am
Hi everyone, I need to get a new laptop for college (my current one is running it's course), but I'm having trouble on deciding which one to get.

Budget:
$3000 - excluding other accessories

Expectations:
Gaming - can play past/current (Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light Redux, Watch_Dogs) and future games (Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight) at high/ultra settings.

Work - can run MS Word/PowerPoint at max settings.

Usage:
Mainly used for gaming and other heavier work. Planning on using external peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor) via docking station most of the time. I will be using something like a Microsoft Surface (or similar) for taking notes and other school work.

Special Needs:
- First of all, weight/portability is my biggest concern. I'm not entirely sure if I will be carrying this around everywhere, but in case I have to, I don't want to carry a tank in my bag. My current laptop is about 5.5-6 lbs and I find that alright to carry shorter distances. The Triton's chassis weight is 5.5 lbs, the Krypton's is 9.04 lbs, and the Behemoth's is 8.82 lbs. I'm assuming that those weights are just of the chassis itself, not including any added components. Going by those weights, the Triton seems like the best choice.

- However, I'm planning on hooking up this laptop to a bigger set-up. The reason I'm especially interested in the Behemoth is that I can really make use of my 144hz monitor. I can likely get 100+ fps in most games running 2x GTX 980m, and it would look amazing on the monitor.

Side Question: Does anyone know of a docking station that works with DS laptops? I have looked online and most of them only work with the specific laptop they were made for.

Specifications:

Triton: 15.6 in. display
Processor: Intel Core i7 4710HQ (Up to 3.50Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage Drive 1: 250GB Solid State - Samsung 840 EVO
Storage Drive 2: 750GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus
Cost (before savings and taxes, etc...): $2,118

Krypton: 17.3 in. display
Processor: !SPECIAL PRICE: Intel Core i7 4810MQ (Up to 3.80Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) (LIMITED TIME ONLY)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus
Cost: $2,346

Behemoth: 17.3 in. display
Processor: !SPECIAL PRICE: Intel Core i7 4810MQ (Up to 3.80Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) (LIMITED TIME ONLY)
Graphics Cards: 2x SLI (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus)
Cost: $3,157

Obviously, the Triton is the lightest choice here, but at the cost of a single GPU and only a i7 4710HQ. The Behemoth, on the other hand, suits my need for future gaming but is much heavier and about 1k more expensive. The Krypton seems to be popular here so I threw that in the mix as well. Just wondering what you guys think is the best balance between weight, performance, and price.

Thanks!
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 6:46am
Based on this alone
First of all, weight/portability is my biggest concern. I'm not entirely sure if I will be carrying this around everywhere, but in case I have to, I don't want to carry a tank in my bag.
it sounds like the Triton is your best choice.  The Behemoth appears to be the very epitome of "tank" but I can't say for certain as I own the Krypton, which is no lightweight either.

What's the resolution of your 144Hz monitor?  You should be able to get those frame rates at 1920x1080, though maybe not at Ultra on a single GPU.  If getting those kind of rates are more important than the portability, then the Behemoth may be the way to go. However, if you plan to lug this laptop to classes and such, I wouldn't recommend the Behemoth.

Performance difference between the Krypton and Triton will be negligible, as they're the same card and only in CPU-intensive games may you seem some difference, so based on your portability requirement, I'd still go with the Triton.

As for docking stations, I don't have a recommendation as I don't use one.  ou can output to the monitor using the Mini-DP connections directly from the laptop, and if you get a USB hub, you're pretty solid there as well.  Not much call for a dock.
Mzaq View Drop Down

Quote Mzaq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 1:50pm
What's the resolution of your 144HZ monitor? You should be able to get those frame rates at 1920x1080, though maybe not at Ultra on a single GPU.

The monitor is 1080p. You're right that I should be able to get good frame rates at lower settings, however, that's what I have been doing with my current laptop and I guess I just want a better experience.

As for the difference in CPU performance, do you know what modern games are considered to be more CPU-intensive? Are there any games that there will there be a noticeable performance difference between the 4710HQ and the 4810MQ?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 2:36pm
The difference in clock speed , 300mHz, between the 4710 and 4810 is a few fps difference. Not insignificant but not much performance gain. I wouldn't make a decision based on one over the other.

Good luck.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 3:55pm
If you're wondering about what kind of frames you'll get at Ultra on a 980M (Triton) vs. 980M SLI (Behemoth), this guy has some benchmarks.  He does other comparison videos, and I'm sure you can find others that will answer your questions better than I can regarding performance in modern games.  I tend to play mostly last-gen games as I don't usually pay for the latest/greatest.
 Post Reply Post Reply