Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jonrs1992 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jonrs1992 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: laptop config questions
    Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 4:18pm
Budget:
no more than $2900

Expectations:
I don't need to play all games on max settings but high would be nice. I'd also like this to be as future proof as possible.

Usage:
Everything

Special Needs:
None

Saved Ticket #: N/A]

Specifications:
N/A

I am looking to invest in a new laptop and have a few questions before taking the plunge.

I only own one computer so my laptop has to be able to do whatever I need it to do. I am a gaming enthusiast so I like to to play my games on high settings. I also like to watch video streaming services like Netflix, web surf, and I do a lot of work on my laptop too (nothing intensive, a lot of word processing work). I don't have a ton of money but I would like to make an investment that will last a good while.

I was thinking of going for a behemoth build so that there would be room for expansion later. I was going to go for 1 880m 8GB card and maybe buy the second card somewhere do the line. The more I think about things though I am wondering if I could save some $ by going for a 15.6 " laptop instead. Does screen size make a lot of difference? I thought maybe instead of screen size I could invest in a second SSD. Any thoughts? I'm a noob so go easy :)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:15pm
Hi jonrs... the laptop folks will be here shortly to help with your specific questions. I just wanted to jump in and say "HI!" and "Welcome to the DS forums!!"
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 9:27pm
Jonrs,

You sound like you user your laptop very much like I do.  Mine is pretty much the central hub of my digital life.  I do everything on it, and my smartphone and tablet are more supplemental.

I wouldn't recommend buying the Behemoth unless you plan to buy both graphic cards at the same time.  Adding another 880M later might be more expensive depending on availability when you decide to upgrade as it might not be the current mobile part or even available.

A single 880M is pretty damn good right now and also pretty future proof unless you are a serious bleeding edge gamer.  I'm running an 880M on my Krypton, and with Skyrim modded with around 150 mods, half of them high-texture graphics mods, as well as an intensive ENB, I'm pretty damn happy with my game experience.

For what you describe, I suspect the Behemoth is possibly overkill for you.  If you go with a 17" laptop from DS, then go with a Krypton.  You can build it out really nicely for your budget.  Mine was just over $2600 and I'm really happy with it.  I bought it with an mSATA boot drive and a HDD data drive, and I still have room to add another SSD or HDD to a second empty bay.  Also, with 16GB or RAM, I can still expand that to 32GB, which should be plenty far into the future.

If you go 15.6", then go with a Lance.  There's not going to be much price difference between that and the Krypton, so it's up to you whether you want to run a slightly lighter and smaller laptop or not.  That will really be the only difference other than the temps of a 15.6" laptop may be slightly higher.  The resolution on both the Krypton and Lance are the same (1920x1080), so another potential issue is that everything on the Lance will be slightly smaller, so if you have any issues with vision, that will be a factor.

All the DS laptops have DisplayPort and HDMI (I think), so adding a larger monitor if you use it mostly in one place is also an option.

Hope this helps.
jonrs1992 View Drop Down

Quote jonrs1992 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 9:47am
Thanks for the help. I took the plunge and went with with the Krypton. I got the 4810 processor, single 8GB 880m, 120 GB solid state drive for drive 1 and a 1 TB solid state drive for drive 2. Got the 16 GB Ram and the premium thermal compound.

Now I just have to wait which will be harder than choosing what I wanted!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 12:55pm
Go go Krypton!   
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by jonrs1992

Thanks for the help. I took the plunge and went with with the Krypton...

Krypton lovers unite!

Let us know how you like it once the long wait is over.
Tor View Drop Down

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 2:08am
Great choice! Definitely good advice on the krypton its a powerful beast in its own right.
 Post Reply Post Reply