FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laptop config help

Post Date: 2014-11-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
anakedginger View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote anakedginger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: laptop config help
    Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 9:35pm
Hey everyone just wanted some advice on buying a laptop.

I am looking at buying the Behemoth. i don't really have a budget just want one to last me a long time and be a powerhouse like my desktop.
It will be my primary computer for gaming/general use.
just had a few questions for any owners/DS employes

1. How hot/loud does it get when gaming/idle. i have roommates that i don't want to keep up if i'm gaming at night. we all live in the same room.

2. How upgradeable is it? i have all ways been a desktop user and have never owned a laptop. what are my limitations on things like second gpu or upgrading it completely. also for HDD, can i add another or exchange them out?

3. Does DS offer military discounts?

Thank you in advance for responses.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:12pm
I am not a Behemoth owner, I can give you an at least some educated guesses.

1) If you're gaming, the fans are definitely going to turn on, and they won't be quiet, so they could potentially disturb your roommates.  I don't think you'll find a gaming laptop from anywhere where this isn't the case.  My Krypton runs relatively cool, but the fans are what really keep it cool.  Same with my previous laptop, which ran hotter than this one.

2) Laptops have very limited upgradeability, even from DS.  You might be able to upgrade the GPU, but it will be very expensive.  Every chassis will have a different, custom GPU board because the space inside every laptop has a different layout.  Hard drives and RAM are really the only easily upgradeable components.  Alex or Nav can give you a better idea of how DS handles laptop upgrades that aren't those two components.

3) DS will have to answer that one.
Tor View Drop Down

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 1:30am
Originally posted by anakedginger

1. How hot/loud does it get when gaming/idle. i have roommates that i don't want to keep up if i'm gaming at night. we all live in the same room.

2. How upgradeable is it? i have all ways been a desktop user and have never owned a laptop. what are my limitations on things like second gpu or upgrading it completely. also for HDD, can i add another or exchange them out?

3. Does DS offer military discounts?

Thank you in advance for responses.

Hey ANG welcome to DS Forums. I do belive I'm one of the only people around that owns a Behemoth since most people prefer to go with Krypton. I was going to post a full review with pictures on the laptop, but one of the receptors on the screen went out so I have to send it in for repairs, hence the review is going to be delayed. Short story is I understand your pain when it comes to looking for information on this laptop, so I'll fill in a couple of banks for your while a more educated person can correct me later.

1. I play Skyrim on ultra settings and others games like it with no problem, and when i feel the air that comes out of the fans its mildly warm/room tempeture. As far as noise is concerned I work in a very industrious enviorment so I'm not the best judge, but its whisper quiet in my book. Now if your roomate sleeps 5 feet away from you, they might or might not hear it just depends on their tolerance level.

2. Since I'm sending it in for repairs I talked to Alex about the possibility of upgrading it and they can do it for a fee of course. If you want to upgrade it yourself its not so hard to do since most of the brackets are removable. Just be aware that since it is a laptop you follow a manual precisely for measurements on what can or cant fit. Since computer enginering is pretty much string theory to me at this point I prefer to send it to the professionals.

The Behemoth case offers you the option for a second GPU to run games in SLI, but be aware that it can get pricey with the new 980M cards. I had the 880M when I ordered it, and currently in the process to upgrade to the 980M is going to cost me a little over $600 for the card replacement. In my opinion if you look at the benchmarks for the 980M youll be happy with a single card.

3. I never asked myself, so you might want to ask their staff. I know Alex has been helpful and patient with me during my time of minor crisis. If youre CONUS just give them a ring during working hours if not email is your next best option.

The laptop itself is a powerhouse it will set you back quite a bit, but it is the definition of mobile gaming.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 2:17pm
@anakedginger, welcome to the community! I'm glad to see that our forum members have helped answer a majority of your questions.

For military discounts, please send an email to our team: [email protected]

@Tor, thank you for your detailed answers and help!
 Post Reply Post Reply