FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laptop build work & play

Post Date: 2014-09-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gtaylor1023 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gtaylor1023 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Laptop build work & play
    Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 8:21pm
Budget:
[~2800]

Expectations:
[play blizzard games at reasonable frame rates at high rez....ultra not needed; SC2 and WoW at 1080p]

Usage:
[I am starting law school this fall and am looking at a new laptop that can also double as a decent work / school pc as well. I would like 5+ hrs when not gaming to cover class etc. Dual GPU for GPU switching would be nice if possible. Maybe something like intel graphics for work switch to 880m for play]

Special Needs:
[Battery life is high up on the priority list]

Saved Ticket #: [Dont Have one yet]

Specifications:
[up for your recommendations]

Edited by gtaylor1023 - 14 Sep 2014 at 8:29pm
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 10:14pm
You're not going to get high battery life with a gaming laptop, even when running on the Intel chip.  With regular use on battery and no gaming, I get 1 1/2 hours of battery on my Krypton.  I suspect you'll get more with an Equinox, maybe 3 hours, but that's probably it.

Lowering the brightness of the display will help, but gaming laptops will need regular AC power.

For the kind of battery life you sound like you're looking for, you'll need a non-gaming ultrabook, I suspect.

But if you want to play WoW, you could probably run it on an Intel chip, but not with High graphics.

I think you'll need to decide what's more important: battery life or the ability to have a decent gaming experience.

I will say that battery life on my Krypton is much better than on my last 17" gaming laptop, but not the kind of life you're looking for.  Even on the Nvidia chip it's better.  I suspect that's due to the new Intel CPUs and Battery Boost.
Tor View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 1:16am
The behemoth supports dual SLI GPU, but I'm afraid i agree with ^ Roykirk ^. Gaming books dont necessarily get much over 2-3 hours of batterylife unplugged even on powersaver and multiple apps/software closed. Hope that helps you make a decision.
 Post Reply Post Reply