FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust purchased an Aventum Beast!

Post Date: 2012-05-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shawnj11558 View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:48pm
Hehe Thx for the comments. Anyone know how, if possible, I can get the EVGA and CORSAIR logo as shown below on my side panel? BTW this pic was from PAX East 2012.

VelocityM3 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 3:13pm
They might just be die cut stickers.
ODE V2 Level 4 (I7 4.5GHz,8GB Ram, GTX 680)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 3:35pm
Those were done with our LaserMark service.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 3:36pm
You can order that with your system and we do that for you.

bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 3:38pm
Alex, I had spoke to John over the phone and he said it was not available for the Aventum. If possible can I get it added to my order?

Thanks.
VelocityM3 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Alex

Those were done with our LaserMark service.

Ah, very cool!
ODE V2 Level 4 (I7 4.5GHz,8GB Ram, GTX 680)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by shawnj11558

Alex, I had spoke to John over the phone and he said it was not available for the Aventum. If possible can I get it added to my order?

Thanks.
Must be a misunderstanding, could you send me an email about this: Alex@digitalstormonline.com and attach that image you included and your order details? I'll forward it to John and the team so we can get you that.
josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:22pm
We are all expecting pictures shawn, fyi.

bullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:58am
I will def post pics and a video once I get it!
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Digital Storm Live Chat Rep.

bullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:06am
This beast needs a name.Hahaha Really looking forward to seeing the pics and video.
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

bullet Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:17pm
Hey guys, my Aventum is now in Phase 3
The excitement is killing me

A few questions:

1) How many Aventum order have gone thru before I placed mine? Am I like the 24th customer to order one, not including businesses or showcase versions. Reason I am asking is because I haven't seen any other members on here post pics or vids of theirs besides the photos that Alex posted. I will def post pics and vids of mine for sure!

2) I ordered the stage 2 overclock of 4.5-4.8GHz. Is it possible that they will overclock it higher than the 4.8GHz max if there is still more room to oc or is that the limit?

Thanks,

Shawn
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 4:41am
Hi Shawn,

1. I think you will find that you have one of the very first Aventums purchased by a customer. It is a very new case and I don't know of any other customers on the forum. There are others being built. Alex needs to answer this question.

2. Again my opinion. DS has to warrant these systems and I don't think you will see an OC above 4.8. These CPUs can go higher but that is for real over clockers who want ultimate performance even if it shortens the life of the processor. Some techies go up to 5.2 or so but that doesn't make sense to me. Particularly for a gaming machine where the extreme speed doesn't help that much.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 18 May 2012 at 4:42am
HAF 922
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DS Certified
Corsair 750TX
HDD-1TB
Optical Drv
ATI Radeon 5870
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 2:53pm
Great questions, the Aventum is a new unit so it's not as popular, plus its a strictly high-end system so it naturally won't sell in large numbers, but, we've been very busy building them.

We won't push the OC higher only because we have to make sure the system is stable long-term, etc...
Combatvetgsr View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 6:52pm

Hey guys, my Aventum is now in Phase 3
The excitement is killing me

A few questions:

1) How many Aventum order have gone thru before I placed mine? Am I like the 24th customer to order one, not including businesses or showcase versions. Reason I am asking is because I haven't seen any other members on here post pics or vids of theirs besides the photos that Alex posted. I will def post pics and vids of mine for sure!

2) I ordered the stage 2 overclock of 4.5-4.8GHz. Is it possible that they will overclock it higher than the 4.8GHz max if there is still more room to oc or is that the limit?

Thanks,

Shawn

Here is my order that I placed on May 4th (stage 4), so you're not alone Awesome. Only change will be the memory in my order. Review will be posted when it arrives

DSO- Digital Storm Desktop

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - Not Available
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Quad SLI (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Cryo-TEC System for CPU and Liquid Cooling for Video Cards + Chipset
H20 Tube Color: Black Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)

Edited by Combatvetgsr - 19 May 2012 at 12:43am
All warfare is based on deception

bullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 11:03am
Thx for the responses to my questions. Sweet Combatvetgsr, glad to have another fellow DS member with one! Hope you as much excited with getting it as I am.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:11pm
Hi Combatvetgsr,

Nice system. Have you researched using SSDs in RAID-0 configuration?

Frank
HAF 922
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DS Certified
Corsair 750TX
HDD-1TB
Optical Drv
ATI Radeon 5870
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:18pm
Just bought an Aventum as well. Here is my configuration: in stage 3.

Digital Storm Desktop 374273 1
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - BlackOPSAventum
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - NotAvailable
Processor: Intel Corei7 Extreme Edition 3960X3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUSRampageIV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (HighlyRecommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard DriveSet1: Operating System: 2x (240GB Solid State(By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT SeriesCSSD-F240GBGT-BK)(SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance(Requires Two HDDs)
Hard DriveSet2: Multimedia\Data: 1x(600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (32MB Cache) (Model: WD6000HLHX)
Hard DriveSet3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Rayand Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - Not Available
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (SupportsHigh-Speed Cable / DSL /Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2xSLI Quad SLI (NVIDIAGeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
ExtremeCooling: Digital Storm Aventum Cryo-TEC System for CPU and Liquid Cooling for Video Cards + Chipset H20
TubeColor: Orange Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: - NotAvailable
Internal Lighting: Internal ChassisLighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effectfor H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: - NotAvailable
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: OverclockCPU 4.5GHzto 4.8GHz (RequiresPro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do notoverclockmyvideo card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Pleasedo notoverclock mymemory
OS Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweakall of thenon-crucial serviceson the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) RecoveryTools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows7 CD) PriorityBuild: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty DISC10

PROMOTION: 10% Discount of $1,140 Applied to Digital Storm Desktop 374273, Original Price $11,401 1

I had the corsair 2133mhz ram selected originally and when I talked to DS on the phone they said it was hardcore unstable with the OC 3960X processor. They basically insisted I change it to the 1600mhz DS certified ram. Also waiting on the 690gtx waterblocks.

They also talked me out of memory and GPU boost. Maybe they had issues with the handful of guinea pigs ahead of me and I got good advice?

Doing this post on a tablet so sorry for typos/formatting issues.

Landon

Edited by Err0xx - 19 May 2012 at 4:31pm

bullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:41pm
Hmm Interesting Err0xx. I haven't received any info regarding the 2133Mhz memory I have on mine or any boost prob with GPU. My pc prob hasnt reached that stage yet, hopefully it will pass.

Grats on your build btw, I couldn't wait on the GTX690 waterblocks so I went with the 680s on LC.

Edited by shawnj11558 - 19 May 2012 at 8:42pm

bullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi Combatvetgsr,

Nice system. Have you researched using SSDs in RAID-0 configuration?

Frank

Never really sat down and researched the RAID-0 config, seen some test results using the 520 in RAID-0 config and it was positive.

Hmm Interesting Err0xx. I haven't received any info regarding the 2133Mhz memory I have on mine or any boost prob with GPU. My pc prob hasnt reached that stage yet, hopefully it will pass.

Grats on your build btw, I couldn't wait on the GTX690 waterblocks so I went with the 680s on LC.

I also was told during my purchase that 2133Mhz was a PITA by the sales team, but I'm sure if any issues arise you will find out. Just hit Stage 5 today Ninja

bullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:32pm
Sweet Combatvetgsr, Stage 5! You must be like 1 week away from getting your pc.

bullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:40pm

I'm sure the 690 WB will cease the progress
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Combatvetgsr

I'm sure the 690 WB will cease the progress

It will, but man, stick with it. The 690's are sick. Anandtech and some local computer testers have benchmarked it and in most cases a single GTX 690 is 10-40% faster that TWO GTX 680's in SLI. I can't imagine how powerful 2 690's LC will be. Can't wait to see the benchmarks - waiting on the water blocks will be worth it. I'll be waiting on mine as well.

I was thinking about trying some 2000mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM from newegg at some point. The 2133 is a crappy clock I guess because of the Overclocking multiplier to get a good correlation between the RAM and the Processor. I have some fair background in overclocking and that's one of the main things I can see as a prob for RAM @ 2133 with this processor. The 2000mhz seems like it would jive better. I just know that the sales advice I got was * adamantly* against using the 2133mhz, lol. I just think that the DS recommended ram at 1600mhz will be a bottleneck for a 4.5-4.8ghz processor combined with SSD's in RAID - kinda like putting mud tires on a Ferrari, so to speak.

Edited by Err0xx - 20 May 2012 at 2:19am
xii View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 3:22am
I have an machine very similar to the ones posted above and was also consoled by DS to not take the higher ram (2133) and go with lower (1600).  I think this is sound advice.  I am not ... I dont know, bragging but when using this kind of money - would you really wanna run the gambit of an unstable system?

Best to side with caution here.  That is why I'm still in the design phase of mine.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 9:47am
Hi Combatvetgsr,

Here is something to think about with SSDs in RAID. The SandForce controller that the 520 uses doesn't do garbage collection until the memory blocks are needed. Win-7 has TRIM feature that helps with memory cleanup. With a RAID array TRIM does not work. So sometime in the future after all of your memory blocks have been used, your write speeds will drop about 50%. If you are not doing a lot of SSD write functions maybe it won't be a problem for you.

Then there is the problem with RAID-0 if one of the SSDs dies you will lose all of the data on both drives. You need to make sure every time you load something onto the SSD array that you also copy it to a HDD.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 20 May 2012 at 9:50am
HAF 922
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DS Certified
Corsair 750TX
HDD-1TB
Optical Drv
ATI Radeon 5870
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 11:18am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi Combatvetgsr,

Here is something to think about with SSDs in RAID. The SandForce controller that the 520 uses doesn't do garbage collection until the memory blocks are needed. Win-7 has TRIM feature that helps with memory cleanup. With a RAID array TRIM does not work. So sometime in the future after all of your memory blocks have been used, your write speeds will drop about 50%. If you are not doing a lot of SSD write functions maybe it won't be a problem for you.

Then there is the problem with RAID-0 if one of the SSDs dies you will lose all of the data on both drives. You need to make sure every time you load something onto the SSD array that you also copy it to a HDD.

Frank

That is not true Frank W. Please read:
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/storage/corsair_240gb_force_gt_raid0_review/7

Some SSD's do support TRIM in RAID 0 - the Corsair 240's and the intels are two examples of drives that do. Jump to the conclusion section of the article in the link I posted. Even many new SSD's that don't have TRIM support in RAID 0, have housekeeping functions that run in the background of the drives themselves that are arguably better than TRIM.

SSD's in RAID 0 have one of the following for almost any SSD made after 2011: 1. Support TRIM or 2. Have housekeeping capabilities equal to or greater than TRIM.

I work in a server-level corporate environment and we have 2 huge data servers with 1200 SSD's per server. There are many raid-arrays within each. In 5 years of near 24/7 usage, 2 drives have failed. I wouldn't worry about SSD failure in RAID 0. Can it happen? Sure, but it is very unlikely during the lifespan of your PC. These things are very reliable, especially with no moving parts. The SSD failure rate is very, very low. Backing up data for any raid config is always suggested, but don't let failure rate deter you from going SSD Raid-0.

This isn't an issue.

Landon

Edited by Err0xx - 20 May 2012 at 11:37am
tju76 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 1:35pm
i would be curious on those reports of a single 690 being 10-40% better than sli 680s on account of the 690's being underclocked 680's that statement makes no sense at all 
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by tju76

i would be curious on those reports of a single 690 being 10-40% better than sli 680s on account of the 690's being underclocked 680's that statement makes no sense at all 

Please refer to this quote:

"Traditionally dual-GPU cards have been a mixed bag. More often than not they have to sacrifice a significant amount of single-GPU performance in order to put two GPUs on a single card, and in the rare occasions where that tradeoff doesn’t happen there’s some other tradeoff such as a loud cooler or immense power consumption. NVIDIA told us that they could break this tradition and put two full GTX 680s on a single card, and that they could do that while making it quieter and less power consuming than a dual video card SLI setup. After going through our benchmarking process we can safely say that NVIDIA has met their goals.

From a gaming performance perspective we haven’t seen a dual-GPU card reach the performance of a pair of high-end cards in SLI/CF since the Radeon HD 4870X2 in 2008, so it’s quite refreshing to see someone get so close again 4 years later. The GTX 690 doesn’t quite reach the performance of the GTX 680 SLI, but it’s very, very close. Based on our benchmarks we’re looking at 95% of the performance of the GTX 680 SLI at 5760x1200 and 96% of the performance at 2560x1600. These are measurable differences, but only just. For all practical purposes the GTX 690 is a single card GTX 680 SLI – a single card GTX 680 SLI that consumes noticeably less power under load and is at least marginally quieter too."

The site breakdown of benchmarks and tests is here:

" http://www.anandtech.com/show/5805/nvidia-geforce-gtx-690-review-ultra-expensive-ultra-rare-ultra-fast/19 "

In some tests the GTX 690 WAS FASTER THAN SLI GTX 680s by 10-40%. In some cases, it was on-par. GTX 690 in SLI would be about 40-70% faster than 3 GTX 680s in TRI- SLI.

The GTX 690 has a dual core GPU, whereas the GTX 680 has a single. This makes up for the clock differences. If nothing else, read the conclusion at the site I linked you. They explain this.

Anandtech says: " In any case, for GTX 690 we’re looking at a base clock of 915MHz, a boost clock of 1019MHz, and a memory clock of 6.006GHz. Compared to the GTX 680 this is 91% of the base clock, 96% of the boost clock, and the same memory bandwidth; this is the closest a dual-GPU NVIDIA card has ever been to its single-GPU counterpart, particularly when it comes to memory bandwidth. Furthermore GTX 690 uses fully enabled GPUs – every last CUDA core and every last ROP is active – so the difference between GTX 690 and GTX 680 is outright the clockspeed difference and nothing more.

Of course this does mean that NVIDIA had to make a clockspeed tradeoff here to get GTX 690 off the ground, but their ace in the hole is going to be GPU Boost, which significantly eats into the clockspeed difference. As we’ll see when we get to our look at performance, in spite of NVIDIA’s conservative base clock the performance difference is frequently closer to the smaller boost clock difference."

Anandtech is THE hardware testing authority, and I agree. They are correct. See my BOLD text above.

Landon

Edited by Err0xx - 20 May 2012 at 3:34pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 5:26pm
Great discussion, but nowhere in that article or any other benches does the gtx 690 best the sli 680 except a frame or two in rare cases.    The gtx 690 is almost equal to sli680.    Not until the 690 is oc'd and the 680 isn't does it pull away by about 10%. The 10-40% better performance was compared to the sli gtx580.     That being said, the 690 is finally a dual gpu card that finally lives up ti it's name.     I do agree Anandtech is a very good source and I use it all the time.    

Edited by bprat22 - 20 May 2012 at 5:27pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 5:46pm

I just wanted to say that running 1600MHz will not stop you from getting a higher overclock, it's the opposite. A high overclock on the CPU and the memory (2000Mhz+) will make it hard to get a overclock of 4.7GHz+ stable.

Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Digital Storm Live Chat Rep.

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 5:58pm
Hi Err0xx,

I agree that Anantech is a good source for reviews.  I had read their review previously and my impression was that 2 GTX 680s in SLI was better than 1 GTX 690.  After reading your comments I decided I should go back and take a second look.  My only concern is gaming performance.
I specifically looked at the performance in the games and resolutions they tested at. The 2 GTX 680s in SLI performed better than the GTX 690 in 26 tests and the GTX 690 performed better than 2 GTX 680s in 10 tests.  Again this is strickly gaming performance mesured in FPS.  Of the 10 tests the GTX 690 performed better 8 of those was at 1920 x 1200 resolution and in only 1 game (Starcraft 2) did the GTX 690 peform better and they only tested Starcrat 2 at 2 resoulitons.

You stated: "The GTX 690 has a dual core GPU, whereas the GTX 680 has a single.  This makes up for the clock differences".  Yes the GTX 690 has 2 GPUs but you have to compare it to 2 GTX 680s not one for a fair comparison.  Then the clock speads do make a difference at least in 26 gaming tests out of 36 tests run.

Comparing 2 GTX 690s to 3 GTX 680s isn't a fair comparison either.  You are comparing 4 total GPUs to 3 total GPUs. 

The question is: In gaming is 1 GTX 690 better than 2 GTX 680s?  Yes this dual GPU card is much better than previous dual core GPUs and the review by Anandtech proves this.  But the answer as far as gaming performance goes is still 26 to 10 in favor of the 2 GTX 680s.

I stand by my original impression when the choice is between 1 GTX 690 or 2 GTX 680s I would go with 2 GTX 680s.  Unless you are gaming at 1920 by 1200 resolution, then you might want to consider the GTX 690. This seems to be the sweet spot for the GTX 690.

All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Great discussion, but nowhere in that article or any other benches does the gtx 690 best the sli 680 except a frame or two in rare cases.    The gtx 690 is almost equal to sli680.    Not until the 690 is oc'd and the 680 isn't does it pull away by about 10%. The 10-40% better performance was compared to the sli gtx580.     That being said, the 690 is finally a dual gpu card that finally lives up ti it's name.     I do agree Anandtech is a very good source and I use it all the time.    

At work atm so can't really look much up, but anandtech coommented that the 690GTX will score higher when drivers are tweaked. Their comment is in the user comments section at the bottom (forget what page)

My original 10-40% gain statement were based on NVIDIA benchmarks that were done with drivers that anandtech does not currently have access to. Since the GTX690 is a dual core card, the drivers had to have a major overhaul to deal with heat and such. Performance will increase even more as drivers are polished; whereas the 680 won't see near as much improvement with future driver releases.

Trust me, this card is capable of 10-40% gains over the 680GTX in SLI.

Edited by Err0xx - 20 May 2012 at 6:08pm
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Asangard

Hi Err0xx,

I agree that Anantech is a good source for reviews.  I had read their review previously and my impression was that 2 GTX 680s in SLI was better than 1 GTX 690.  After reading your comments I decided I should go back and take a second look.  My only concern is gaming performance.
I specifically looked at the performance in the games and resolutions they tested at. The 2 GTX 680s in SLI performed better than the GTX 690 in 26 tests and the GTX 690 performed better than 2 GTX 680s in 10 tests.  Again this is strickly gaming performance mesured in FPS.  Of the 10 tests the GTX 690 performed better 8 of those was at 1920 x 1200 resolution and in only 1 game (Starcraft 2) did the GTX 690 peform better and they only tested Starcrat 2 at 2 resoulitons.

You stated: "The GTX 690 has a dual core GPU, whereas the GTX 680 has a single.  This makes up for the clock differences".  Yes the GTX 690 has 2 GPUs but you have to compare it to 2 GTX 680s not one for a fair comparison.  Then the clock speads do make a difference at least in 26 gaming tests out of 36 tests run.

Comparing 2 GTX 690s to 3 GTX 680s isn't a fair comparison either.  You are comparing 4 total GPUs to 3 total GPUs. 

The question is: In gaming is 1 GTX 690 better than 2 GTX 680s?  Yes this dual GPU card is much better than previous dual core GPUs and the review by Anandtech proves this.  But the answer as far as gaming performance goes is still 26 to 10 in favor of the 2 GTX 680s.

I stand by my original impression when the choice is between 1 GTX 690 or 2 GTX 680s I would go with 2 GTX 680s.  Unless you are gaming at 1920 by 1200 resolution, then you might want to consider the GTX 690. This seems to be the sweet spot for the GTX 690.

Refer to my comment above; drivers will play a huge role in the full potential of the 690GTX. Right now the 690 isn't doing what it's capable of. Give it a month and revisit your analysis.

In regards to 690's in SLI - Quad SLI has never been 100% efficient; in other words, 4 graphics cards with single chips might produce 50 FPS each, whereas 4 graphics cards with single chips in SLI might produce a total of 160 FPS, or 40 FPS per card. While the total FPS of the Quad SLI obviously destroys the 50 FPS of the single card, each chip isn't performing to its full potential.

Nvidia has been busting its butt to work on drivers to correct this, which will be needed for the GTX690 to have its full potential realized. In the next 1-2 months we'll see this card really shine.

Edited by Err0xx - 20 May 2012 at 6:07pm
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 6:03pm

I just wanted to say that running 1600MHz will not stop you from getting a higher overclock, it's the opposite. A high overclock on the CPU and the memory (2000Mhz+) will make it hard to get a overclock of 4.7GHz+ stable.

Thanks, I realized after I made my statement that it may have been the opposite of what I was thinking. I have OC experience in the past, but it's been awhile. A long while.

That clears up a lot.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 6:13pm
No problem, back in the days, higher rated memory helped with FSB based overclocks, but, now, those ratios are completely different. Big%20Smile
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 6:26pm

No problem, back in the days, higher rated memory helped with FSB based overclocks, but, now, those ratios are completely different. Big%20Smile

In all honesty, for most tasks, would there even be a noticeable difference in the 1600mhz DS memory vs., say, the Corsair 2000mhz or 2133mhz? It seems like with 16gb+ a 4-500mhz difference wouldn't be a groundbreaking difference in *most* tasks. I realize some RAM intensive uses could be somewhat noticeable, but in general use, does it really make much difference? Seems like in general use, there would be a greater benefit to higher clocked cpu and lower clocked ram vs. lower clocked cpu and higher clocked ram.

That being said, I can't freaking wait to use this computer. I'm making myself wait to play Diablo 3 until it gets here...sitting in the box, still sealed, beside my monitor. Oh the joy.

Edited by Err0xx - 20 May 2012 at 6:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>