FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust purchased an Aventum Beast!

Post Date: 2012-05-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <123
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:50am
Hi Err0xx,

Thanks for posting your link. I am sorry but I stick by my comments. No where in that review do they test TRIM or state flat out that TRIM works in RAID. If you run two SSDs with SandForce controllers in RAID your write performance will drop off after all of the memory blocks have been wrote to. TRIM doesn't work in RAID unless something has changed just recently.

The only currant drive that I know about that is using background garbage collection is the Samsung 830. Now with Corsair using new firmware I don't know what they are doing. But I don't think they had the currant Firmware in January.

In the conclusion the review states: "TRIM support, insane performance both in read and write scenarios and 1GB/s available in RAID 0." I read this as saying that the Corsair drive has Trim Support and I agree with that. But it doesn't say TRIM works in RAID. I have not seen any review, by more reliable reviewers than this outfit, that TRIM works in RAID.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 21 May 2012 at 4:55am
HAF 922
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DS Certified
Corsair 750TX
HDD-1TB
Optical Drv
ATI Radeon 5870
tju76 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Err0xx

Originally posted by bprat22

Great discussion, but nowhere in that article or any other benches does the gtx 690 best the sli 680 except a frame or two in rare cases.    The gtx 690 is almost equal to sli680.    Not until the 690 is oc'd and the 680 isn't does it pull away by about 10%. The 10-40% better performance was compared to the sli gtx580.     That being said, the 690 is finally a dual gpu card that finally lives up ti it's name.     I do agree Anandtech is a very good source and I use it all the time.    

At work atm so can't really look much up, but anandtech coommented that the 690GTX will score higher when drivers are tweaked. Their comment is in the user comments section at the bottom (forget what page)

My original 10-40% gain statement were based on NVIDIA benchmarks that were done with drivers that anandtech does not currently have access to. Since the GTX690 is a dual core card, the drivers had to have a major overhaul to deal with heat and such. Performance will increase even more as drivers are polished; whereas the 680 won't see near as much improvement with future driver releases.

Trust me, this card is capable of 10-40% gains over the 680GTX in SLI.

i really can not see this happening because the same can be said of the sli gtx 680 drivers. the best buy imo is sli gtx 680 because if one card breaks i dont have to spend 1k to get it replaced. downclocked GPU'S will not be stronger than higher clocked stock GPU'S of the sli 680's, " i don't see where you are getting your information that the 680's will not improve with future drivers, for nvidia the 680 is their number one seller, look at the drivers for the 580 which massively increased the performance compared to the reference drivers.
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by tju76

Great discussion, but nowhere in that article or any other benches does the gtx 690 best the sli 680 except a frame or two in rare cases.    The gtx 690 is almost equal to sli680.    Not until the 690 is oc'd and the 680 isn't does it pull away by about 10%. The 10-40% better performance was compared to the sli gtx580.     That being said, the 690 is finally a dual gpu card that finally lives up ti it's name.     I do agree Anandtech is a very good source and I use it all the time.    

At work atm so can't really look much up, but anandtech coommented that the 690GTX will score higher when drivers are tweaked. Their comment is in the user comments section at the bottom (forget what page)

My original 10-40% gain statement were based on NVIDIA benchmarks that were done with drivers that anandtech does not currently have access to. Since the GTX690 is a dual core card, the drivers had to have a major overhaul to deal with heat and such. Performance will increase even more as drivers are polished; whereas the 680 won't see near as much improvement with future driver releases.

i really can not see this happening because the same can be said of the sli gtx 680 drivers. the best buy imo is sli gtx 680 because if one card breaks i dont have to spend 1k to get it replaced. downclocked GPU'S will not be stronger than higher clocked stock GPU'S of the sli 680's, " i don't see where you are getting your information that the 680's will not improve with future drivers, for nvidia the 680 is their number one seller, look at the drivers for the 580 which massively increased the performance compared to the reference drivers.

Firstly, I don't see where I said one time that the 680's wont improve. I didn't. I said "the 680 won't see near as much improvement with future driver releases." The dual core card will improve more than the single core card because the single core drivers are already farther along in development/polish than the dual core ones.

Second, if you're getting a new pc, your hardware is under warranty. Isn't gonna cost you to replace a faulty piece of hardware.

Third, the 680 isn't using "reference drivers", they are official release that were based off of the 580 drivers. They won't improve as much as the 690 drivers because, simply, there isn't as much to improve.

Fourth, if you're using 2 cards for the 680's in sli, your doubling your chance of something breaking. 1 of 2 cards is more likely to break than one card if you're picking between SLI and a single 690. I've gone with 690s in SLI and called it a day.

Edited by Err0xx - 21 May 2012 at 12:06pm
BF3Addict View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 2:48pm

[QUOTE=tju76]

Fourth, if you're using 2 cards for the 680's in sli, your doubling your chance of something breaking. 1 of 2 cards is more likely to break than one card if you're picking between SLI and a single 690. I've gone with 690s in SLI and called it a day.

While you're correct that you're using a single card, you have two GPU's with the 690.  You have to consider the failure rate of the components when figuring the failure rate of the card itself.  From that perspective you have a greater chance of card failure with the 690 than the 680.  You can't replace a GPU when it fails.  You have to replace the entire card.

In any case I think the chance of failure for either card is relatively small.  It's just a bit larger for the more complicated card.
shawnj11558 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:18pm
GTX 690 waterblocks are out now

http://www.koolance.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2059
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Digital Storm Live Chat Rep.

bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:07pm
I found this video on NVIDIA's Website.  It is a recording of a live interview and demo of the GTX 690.  Here is the link: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/pc-perspective-live-review-geforce-gtx-690/
It is a little over an hr in length but the real interesting thing for me was something the NVIDIA rep mentioned near the end.  He was talking about drivers in general and how currently they are not taking advantage of the 3.0 PCI express.  He basically stated it was too new and not alot out there and it would take about 12 months for the drivers to catch up. 

Looks like we should see performance increases for all GTX 600 series cards in about a yr.

Edited by Asangard - 21 May 2012 at 7:08pm
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

tju76 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 7:29pm

Firstly, I don't see where I said one time that the 680's wont improve. I didn't. I said "the 680 won't see near as much improvement with future driver releases." The dual core card will improve more than the single core card because the single core drivers are already farther along in development/polish than the dual core ones.

Second, if you're getting a new pc, your hardware is under warranty. Isn't gonna cost you to replace a faulty piece of hardware.

Third, the 680 isn't using "reference drivers", they are official release that were based off of the 580 drivers. They won't improve as much as the 690 drivers because, simply, there isn't as much to improve.

First of all please take the time to read my post before you miss quote something i said :Your quote LOL I don't see where I said one time that the 680's wont improve, What i actually said in my post Hahaha i don't see where you are getting your information that the 680's will not improve with future drivers.

i am just confused on your comment about the potential of the 680 drivers Nvidia will not stop releasing drivers for their cards and EVERYONE knows that performance improves as more and more drivers are released. Example 3 months from now when the drivers are properly polished what makes the higher clocked 680's perform 10-40% worse than a lower clocked 690?
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:23pm

First of all please take the time to read my post before you miss quote something i said :Your quote LOL I don't see where I said one time that the 680's wont improve, What i actually said in my post Hahaha i don't see where you are getting your information that the 680's will not improve with future drivers. i am just confused on your comment about the potential of the 680 drivers Nvidia will not stop releasing drivers for their cards and EVERYONE knows that performance improves as more and more drivers are released. Example 3 months from now when the drivers are properly polished what makes the higher clocked 680's perform 10-40% worse than a lower clocked 690?

I will spell it out for you. The. 680GTX. Cards. Will. Not. Improve. With. Future. Drivers. As. Much. As. The. 690GTX. Cards. Will. With. Future. Drivers. Because. The. Single. Core. Nvidia. Drivers. Are. Already. Further. Along. Therefore. There. Is. Not. As. Much. Room. For. Improvement. As. There. Is. With. The. Newer. Dual. Core. Cards. Due. To. Dual. Core. Card. Drivers. Not. Being. As. Established.

I never said the 680's wouldn't improve with future drivers. They WILL IMPROVE, just not as much as the dual core cards.

I did read your post. It appears that English is not your first language and you are missing something critical about my statements. There WILL be more drivers released for ALL current NVIDIA Cards, but the dual core ones will improve MORE as power management, heat, performance between two cores, etc. is refined.

I'll say it once again, in case I'm still confusing: The 680s WILL IMPROVE with future drivers but NOT AS MUCH as the 690s.

Edited by Err0xx - 21 May 2012 at 8:31pm
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by shawnj11558

GTX 690 waterblocks are out now

http://www.koolance.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2059

THAT is awesome news! Are these the ones DS will use on the Aventum watercooling? How long will it take DS to get em in from this point? Woo!

The fact that they say that they will ship the next business day if ordered within the next (currently 10 hours) is good too - shows that they are ready to go.

Thnx for the post Shawn, that made my night.

Edited by Err0xx - 21 May 2012 at 8:28pm
tju76 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:41pm

First of all please take the time to read my post before you miss quote something i said :Your quote LOL I don't see where I said one time that the 680's wont improve, What i actually said in my post Hahaha i don't see where you are getting your information that the 680's will not improve with future drivers. i am just confused on your comment about the potential of the 680 drivers Nvidia will not stop releasing drivers for their cards and EVERYONE knows that performance improves as more and more drivers are released. Example 3 months from now when the drivers are properly polished what makes the higher clocked 680's perform 10-40% worse than a lower clocked 690?

I will spell it out for you. The. 680GTX. Cards. Will. Not. Improve. With. Future. Drivers. As. Much. As. The. 690GTX. Cards. Will. With. Future. Drivers. Because. The. Single. Core. Nvidia. Drivers. Are. Already. Further. Along. Therefore. There. Is. Not. As. Much. Room. For. Improvement. As. There. Is. With. The. Newer. Dual. Core. Cards. Due. To. Dual. Core. Card. Drivers. Not. Being. As. Established.

I never said the 680's wouldn't improve with future drivers. They WILL IMPROVE, just not as much as the dual core cards.

I did read your post. It appears that English is not your first language and you are missing something critical about my statements. There WILL be more drivers released for ALL current NVIDIA Cards, but the dual core ones will improve MORE as power management, heat, performance between two cores, etc. is refined.

I'll say it once again, in case I'm still confusing: The 680s WILL IMPROVE with future drivers but NOT AS MUCH as the 690s.

i take it you have a hard time taking criticism, and attack/insult people on a forum for asking/questioning statements that you make. It seems like you think the only valid OPINION is your own, and everyone else is just wrong? Im sorry if my contradictions of your claims upset you, a forum does not seem like the proper place for you to post your ideas if you cant take criticism from others, and
My point was imo nothing you have said proves to me that the 690's will perform 10-40% better than the 680's. NOW obviously the 690's drivers will show more improvement over the 680's because the 680's are farther along in driver development. BUT that is not proof of them being 10-40% better than the 680's, say a year from now when the drivers are just as polished as the 680's. i feel bad that you need to act that childish, and insult people that you have never met. i guess i was raised differently, to each their own i guess.

Travis.
Err0xx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:11pm

i take it you have a hard time taking criticism, and attack/insult people on a forum for asking/questioning statements that you make. It seems like you think the only valid OPINION is your own, and everyone else is just wrong? Im sorry if my contradictions of your claims upset you, a forum does not seem like the proper place for you to post your ideas if you cant take criticism from others, andMy point was imo nothing you have said proves to me that the 690's will perform 10-40% better than the 680's. NOW obviously the 690's drivers will show more improvement over the 680's because the 680's are farther along in driver development. BUT that is not proof of them being 10-40% better than the 680's, say a year from now when the drivers are just as polished as the 680's. i feel bad that you need to act that childish, and insult people that you have never met. i guess i was raised differently, to each their own i guess.Travis.

You'll have to excuse me for getting frustrated. I had to say it FOUR times to get you to understand that I was NOT saying that the 680s would not improve with future updates.

Second, you insult me by saying that I'm not taking the time to read your post before I respond and inferring that I might be incapable of doing so. Yet, it's you who failed to understand what I was saying.

I'd accept criticism if it was backed by more than you disagreeing based on personal, non professional, understandings of clock speeds.

I'm no teacher and didn't chose to be one as a career path. It's not my job to teach you English to understand what I say. If me saying something in text writing 4 times isn't enough to make you understand it, then I don't think it's improper for me to assume your not a native English speaker. I don't see how my statement was offensive. It's the truth that I had to say "The 680s WILL IMPROVE with future drivers but NOT AS MUCH as the 690s." 4 times to get you to comprehend it. Reread the replies.

First time I said it: "Since the GTX690 is a dual core card, the drivers had to have a major overhaul to deal with heat and such. Performance will increase even more as drivers are polished; whereas the 680 won't see near as much improvement with future driver releases. "

Second Time I said it: "Firstly, I don't see where I said one time that the 680's wont improve. I didn't. I said "the 680 won't see near as much improvement with future driver releases." The dual core card will improve more than the single core card because the single core drivers are already farther along in development/polish than the dual core ones."

Third Time I said it: "I will spell it out for you. The. 680GTX. Cards. Will. Not. Improve. With. Future. Drivers. As. Much. As. The. 690GTX. Cards. Will. With. Future. Drivers. Because. The. Single. Core. Nvidia. Drivers. Are. Already. Further. Along. Therefore. There. Is. Not. As. Much. Room. For. Improvement. As. There. Is. With. The. Newer. Dual. Core. Cards. Due. To. Dual. Core. Card. Drivers. Not. Being. As. Established."

Fourth Time I said it: "I'll say it once again, in case I'm still confusing: The 680s WILL IMPROVE with future drivers but NOT AS MUCH as the 690s."

There. It took 4 times for you to understand what I was saying. That leaves me with 2 options.

1) You're not fluent/perfect in English (perfectly understandable)
2) You're an idiot

Nothing I said was an insult. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed that you were not an idiot and, in fact, you weren't a native English speaker.

In this conversation, I did view my opinion as valid over yours because you never once quoted a source.

Go whine elsewhere and learn to understand information before you comment on it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:17pm
Sorry guys but this conversation is getting a little too carried away, I'm going to lock the thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123