FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just A Few Questions And Opinions

Post Date: 2015-04-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Corvo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Corvo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just A Few Questions And Opinions
    Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:01pm
**I apologize for the slight novel I am posting here, I tried my best to break it up in a way that it will not just appear as one big wall of text**

Specifications (Bulk of Post):

So I hope this is the the right section of these forums to put this in. I just purchased my first Digital Storm Build the other day and am eagerly awaiting its arrival in the next few weeks. Upon completing my build I realized I may have made a mistake or two in the build options I chose. And I also have concerns / questions / would like the community's opinions on my options. So, for starters, allow me to list the main components of the rig I'm having made:

Digital Storm Build: Slade

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Right off the bat, I discovered quite by accident browsing around the web about 4 hours after I got my first email from Digital Storm saying my build has been processed and is in stage 1, that the Titan X video card requires 24gb of RAM to run properly. It's listed everywhere as a requirement and although half say 16gb is fine, the other half say, technically yes 16gb is fine, but I will ultimately suffer performance issues by having less than the required 24gb of RAM.

Ok, no problem I think to myself..I've tinkered with computers in the past. RAM is by far the easiest thing to upgrade in a computer. I'll buy more RAM once my build ships. Easy right?

Turns out I failed yet again..While I despise Windows 8, and love Windows 7, and discovered there is no real gaming performance difference to having one over the other, I stuck with Windows 7 in my build.

BUT..turns out (to my discovery again today only a few hours after my build went to the processing stage) Windows 7 Home Premium does not recognize more than 16gm of RAM..so now I'm faced with the issue of upgrading to Windows 7 Professional (as I understand it can recognize the needed RAM I need to put in for my Titan X to function issue free. (Ultimately it'll be 4 more sticks of 4gb, making a total of 32gb RAM)

SO MY QUESTION(S) IS:

Since my build is now in the very initial stages of processing (stage 1), is there a way to request having the operating system changed to the necessary OS I require? I am more than willing to pay the additional $52 for an operating system that will recognize the additional RAM I'll ultimately need

If the answer above is no, then once I receive my build in a few weeks, will it affect it in any way if I go ahead and install Windows 7 Professional MYSELF? Meaning will it mess with the OC of the processor that I'm paying for, etc.

**one off-topic question relating to my build**

With the selected processor I went with, and with paying for OC 4.0 - 4.4, I understand from asking a customer service rep that what that means is my build will have the processor OC'd to whatever is stable between 4.0 and 4.4.

My question is, for anyone that has purchased the same CPU and the same OC as myself, what is the usual clock speed they manage to get out of it, and will it always run at the OC speed or am I going to have to mess with it every time I need the extra boost?

Thank you in advance to any and all answers, opinions and advice I may receive.

Budget:
$4000-$4500

Expectations:
To be able to run all current games at max settings with 60+ fps and all upcoming games at max settings with 60+ fps

Usage:
99% Gaming / 1% Web Browsing

Special Needs:
(Don't know if this falls under special needs but) I may POSSIBLY consider doing 2 monitors. HOWEVER, one monitor would be for gaming, the other would display the internet browsing or for example if i wanted to watch youtube or netflix or something while simultaneously gaming (Idk if that's something possible or not, so excuse my ignorance)

**On a side note**

I am open to suggestions on a good gaming monitor (either for single or dual display set up, in the manner of which I speak above)

Edited by Corvo - 20 Apr 2015 at 11:02pm
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:29am
On your first two concerns, you are fine as is.

GeForce GTX TITAN X
Quick Start Guide
GeForce Experience Software Disc

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

PCI Express-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot
One 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector
Minimum 600 W or greater power supply
300 MB of available hard drive space
8 GB system memory (16 GB or higher recommended)
Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1, Windows 7 or Windows Vista

If you contact DS before they start building it you can probably change whatever you want.

On OC the rep was right. I'd expect 4.2G overclock.

The computer will run at advertised speed until it needs the boost then max at your OC settings. You don't need to do anything.

Two monitors should be fine as long as they have a low power draw as the TitanX takes 600W. So unless you install other peripherals that require a lot of power you're fine.

Edited by Pacesetter - 21 Apr 2015 at 12:30am
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Pacesetter

If you contact DS before they start building it you can probably change whatever you want.

Stage 1 is payment processing. You've still plenty of time to talk directly with DS and get them to answer every concern to your satisfaction. Remember, they are here to make you very happy with your purchase.

They open at 9 pacific time, give them a call and put your worries and questions to rest.

It's gonna be good.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:17am
Hi Corvo,

As you now know you can still call DS and make any changes you want or need. But, do it right away.

Since you are going Titan GPU I would go with a bigger Power Supply. A 850w should work but check with Ds. If at some point you want to go 4K resolution you might want to add a second GPU. In any case you want to upgrade your power supply to the EVGA SuperNOVA even if you stay at 750w. Better PS with better warranty.

Frank
Corvo View Drop Down

Quote Corvo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:35am
For starters, my thanks go out to everyone who has thus far provided me with very helpful feedback :)

As suggested by others above, I went ahead and called Digital Storm the minute they opened and the sales rep on the phone was very helpful and was able to make the necessary changes to the operating system I wanted (Windows 7 Pro) and I had actually WANTED the EVGA SuperNOVA power supply and forgot about that went making my build, so I went ahead and changed that too while I was at it. I went with a little more power (850W EVGA SuperNOVA). Not only that, but the representative told me it wouldn't delay my system build time any later, and I should still expect it done and ready to ship 10-15 business days from yesterday. So I'm quite happy about that as well.

It was a very quick and painless process. I have been very pleased with the customer support from Digital Storm (and from you forum goers) :)

Regarding the response to my questions about my processors overclocking, I suppose its a good thing that it wont run so hot all the time especially when I'm not gaming, or running things that wont require the extra boost.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 10:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply