FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ivy Bridge is out! Should i bite? :D

Post Date: 2012-04-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KaWaL View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KaWaL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ivy Bridge is out! Should i bite? :D
    Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 4:23pm
Drooling

Now that the Ivy bridge(s) made it to DigiStorm and that my old "gaming" desktop is dead (or dying), i think it's time i try buying a custom build from DS. Before that, i would like to know what you guys think of this config. Any tips? Anything that might be unnecessary OR necessary? Am i overdoing the memory and PSU? Is this a good z77 mobo? Is it really possible to overclock this CPU to stage 2 with just the cooling that i chose? I'm mostly a gamer but it wouldn't hurt to have awesome performance in multitasking and other stuff (photo and video editing, etc.)

Config: 681824

You will notice i don't have a graphics card on this config because i plan on adding an EVGA 680 SC+ Signature w/ backplate when it becomes available. It should be, anytime soon. I got a notification email 2 days ago from EVGA website saying it's available but i checked and it's not... weird. I like awesome graphics but i don't plan on doing any multidisplay setups.
KaWaL View Drop Down

Quote KaWaL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 4:24pm
Oh here's a copy of the Specs if loading the config is too much of a burden. Smile

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15)
Video Card: - No Thanks, I will be installing my own video card(s)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student (PC Attach Key PKC)

Edited by KaWaL - 29 Apr 2012 at 4:38pm
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 4:25pm
Ivy bridge runs hotter than sandy, just putting it out there, its performence also isnt that great compared to sandy as far as i have seen
KaWaL View Drop Down

Quote KaWaL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 5:35pm
explains why it only costs $20 extra compared to the 2700k.

Is the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 considered a "Pro or Deluxe Series motherboard"? Just need to know since stage 2 overclock seems to require mobos with said designation/s. From my other choices in this config, only one ASUS board has "DELUXE" on it. i.e. ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE

Edited by KaWaL - 29 Apr 2012 at 5:38pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:46am
Hi KaWal....Welcome to the forums.

I would suggest the HafX case ( Dreadnought ) instead of your pick.  The HafX is the best air cooled case and doesn't need all those noisy Zalman fans you picked or the sound suppression package, which is reaaly a waste of money.  HafX large 230mm and 200mm fans turn slow, move lots of air and are quiet.  Slow fans equal less noise.

You're right to change mobo to the P8Z77-V Deluxe.  It oc 's to stage 2 for sure and the Deluxe has built in WiFi, allowing you to drop the added wifi card that takes up pci4e lanes in case you ever sli'd.

Drop the memory fan kit...Just wasted money.

8GB ram is all games can use, unless your editing requires it.  Either way, drop speed to 1600 Mhz, the difference you'll never see in gaming.

The psu all depends on how many graphic cards you'll be using.  For a single go 750HX, sli go 1050HX and tri-sli whicjh your mobo can't do effectively anyways would be 1200W.

Hope this helps and Good LuckBig%20SmileBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Apr 2012 at 3:46am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:41am
We just updated the configurator to reflect that the Stage 2 overclocking works on the Sabertooth product line. Cool
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:50am
Hi KaWal

bp is correct that the P8Z77-V Deluxe has built in WiFi so you wouldn't need the extra WiFi card. 

But just to answer a couple of questions about the Sabertooth Z77 board.  It can been overclocked to stage 2 and does support dual SLI.  All ASUS sabertooth boards are made with what ASUS calls "Tuff Components" and to Military stardards.  These components again according to ASUS are independently certified.  That is why ASUS has a 5 yr warrenty on their Sabertooth line of motherboards.

Edited by Asangard - 30 Apr 2012 at 2:37pm
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:29pm
I did not know delux comes with wifi!!!
KaWaL View Drop Down

Quote KaWaL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:29pm
Thanks bpratt, thanks Alex, and thanks Asangard!

Yea, 8 gig memory sounds about right, i havent seen any game (that i play at least) that uses up 8 GB memory. Okay, the memory fan kit i guess is unnecessary. I had the exact same HyperX fan in my old rig and it coincidentally "broke" and started making noises on the day that i made this config.
The computer gods are telling me something, maybe. Confused%20Wink

I have been thinking of sticking to the 1050HX but i thought to overcompensate when i saw the 1200 Digistorm Certified as lower price. Then again, high wattage = more money lost. i'll stick to the 1050HX for future SLIing

Thanks again to Alex for updating the Stage 2 info for the Sabertooth. The P8Z77-V Deluxe is a sure choice for built-in WiFi but does anyone know if the sabertooth's "Thermal Armor" actually have noticeable effects in the temp side of things?

As for the case, i am trying to go for a minimalist look-- Minimal sound (w/o liquid cooling), a low profile look, but kicks ass. The Dreadnought is awesome for having huge 200+mm fans. but there's just something about its aesthetics that i'm not into right now. Maybe if i was buying it a few years ago i would have picked it easily. I know, i'm getting old and picky. i think i'll need to look around for a good balance if there is one since i didn't pay much attention for the case. (Is the Corsair 600T a good one?) It's something to think about more.

The Zalmans can go.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:39pm
You're most welcome! Big%20Smile
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:40pm

The thermal armor does seem to help with temps, but, honestly it's not something that will help a whole lot in stability or overclocking, it's mainly for looks. The Corsair 600T is a great option, so is the Corsair 550D which is on our Black|OPS side of systems.

Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 7:42am
The Z77 Sabertooth has 2 small fans that can be install in the Thermal Armor to help direct airflow through the Thermal Armor and remove head quicker at least in theory.  The fans keep operating post computer shutdown for a few minutes to help with heat removal and component longevity.  Here is a link to ASUS explaining and showing how this works: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77/
This comes from ASUS so it isn't an independant review.  DS would have more of a practical aspect in how this all works so Alex's assessment I would tend to go with.  But I do like the theory behind it as Alex said it does seem to help to some degree.

One thing of note here.  The 2 small fans come with the board but are not installed by ASUS.  You would have to ask DS if they are installed automatically or if you have to request them to be installed.
Not from Without,

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 7:56am
KaWal...Like Alex said, if the HafX isn't something you can feel the love forBig%20Smile then the 600T or 500R in black or white are very good cases for cooling. 
jooks1184 View Drop Down

Quote jooks1184 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 8:16am
Hey Kawal,

As to you question of whether sandy bridge or ivy bridge is better, I would say that for just gaming, sandy bridge should be fine. However, Ivy Bridge does offer PCIe 3.0 which would allow you to take full advantage of the 6 series nvidia cards and/or the 7000 series radeon cards. If you're trying to save money, go sandy bridge. Like someone said above, Ivy Bridge runs faster than Sandy Bridge so you'll be able to achieve a higher OC with SB. Also, the gains from ivy bridge over sandy bridge aren't really significant. Until Intel releases those Haswell CPUs with the 3d transistors, I would say that SB would be more than good enough for you. Anyone please chime in if I'm wrong or anything. Thanks.

I forgot to mention something. I'm not 100% positive but I believe that SB and IB or cross-compatible.

Edited by jooks1184 - 01 May 2012 at 8:17am
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 9:32am
Hey Jooks just a couple of things that you mentioned.  The Ivy Bridge CPUs replace the Sandy Bridge CPUs so I don't think Intel is making the Sandy Bridge chips any more.  DS is still offering the SB chips in the configuration section though.
The Ivy Bridge CPUs actually do use the 3D transistors.  Here is a quote from a review by PCGamers:
"Ivy Bridge is more interesting because it’s the first chip produced on Intel’s 22nm technology, down from 32nm for Sandy Bridge. That means faster clockspeeds and lower power consumption. Even better, due to the physical restrictions of making semiconductor gates at these improbably small scales it uses the excitingly named ‘3D tri-gate transistors‘ which Intel is pioneering here. These basically involve extruding gates upward rather than down flat to increase the surface area available to electrons for activation, rather than laying them down flat.

They do both fit the same 1155 socket so IB is backwards compatable with SB but might require a firmware update according to articles I have read.

From some articles I have read Ivy Bridge is the end of the line for the 1155 socket.  Rumors have it that the Haswell CPUs rumored to be a yr away at least will use a 1150 socket.
Not from Without,

jooks1184 View Drop Down

Quote jooks1184 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 9:58am
Thanks for the clarifications :). I know I mentioned this above but now I am having second thoughts, I wonder if the PCI 3.0 will bring significant performance boosts over 2.0.If not, then is there a reason to upgrade to IB. I mean the price difference isn't really anything so that's not an issue. However, i read this review where IB didn't show much improvement from SB. I'll link it when I can. I was hoping to wait for IB but I wonder if I should just settle for SB
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 10:10am
jooks1184......Ivy Bridge is already out.   The Intel Core i7 3770K for example is IB.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 11:10am

Jooks1184

Ivy Bridge gives about 10% boost in performance.  Some reveiw show a little less.  But the big difference is in native 3.0 USB (10 times faster access speeds) and as you mentioned 3.0 PCIe which doubles the through put on the Graphics Card side.

Also the Z77 motherboards are better engineered so less electricial leakage and the don't have the BIOS bugs in the previous motherboards.

Most reviews I have read say that if you already have a Sandy Bridge settup there is no need to rush out and get the Ivy Bridge. 

But if you are trying to choose between Ivy and Sandy I think it is worth going the Ivy Bridge root.

Here is a link to a review of the 3770K Ivy Bridge CPU from overclockers.com:

Not from Without,

stayghost View Drop Down

Quote stayghost Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:02pm
The discussion in the comments of that Overclockers review is making me nervous regarding heat issues with IB. Do you think it's something to be wary of?

I was considering grabbing an ODE 4 but according to the discussion there maybe I should build a custom with SB i5k ?
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:34pm
With Ivy Bridge you can get good overclocks at a lot lower voltages that Sandy Bridge.  One review I read they got to 4.5Ghz without having to increase the voltage at all.  So I don't think that this is going to be an issue. 

All the early reviews do stress that you need to pay close attention to what you are doing when OCing an Ivy Bridge CPU.  You can't OC it the same way as Sandy.  It's not as easy as with Sandy but DS are experts so as I said I don't think this is an issue.

Not from Without,

josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josephlee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 7:58am
Yeah, that is what I have been seeing too. The OC process for Ivy is a little more complex than Sandy. But that is why we have DC, they have the tools/experience to get it done safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply