Post Date: 2008-04-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ISP to blame?
    Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 10:18am
does anyone have an idea of how its possible to get spikes to 150-300 ms in COD4, WoW, CounterStrike 1.6, and even internet explorer** that are pretty constant, at least one high spike per minute, but when you go cmd>ping *.*.*.* -t the ms shows CONSTANTLY perfect, like 20-30 max? These spikes are so bad they cause constant FPS loss, and the problem only started a few days ago.... pretty much when my stick of ram went bad (still running 1gb so that cant be it) I have no idea what could be causing it

if no one gets what i mean ill post some pictures to explain

*please do not tell me to check for viruses, adware, spyware, trojans, addons, background processes, program access to the internet, etc, im not new to this

**by this i mean typing in an address like dsoonline.com and the page tries to load, then gives you the "unable to connect" like your internet is off, then if you hit refresh it works fine?

Edited by !ender_ - 09 Apr 2008 at 10:21am
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 2:22pm
Probably not your problem, but i had something somewhat similar to that, ended up my router was reseting itself over and over, but it was resetting quick enough thatd id still like stay connected to games, just the lag would spike up extremely high, then calm down again after it reset, then it would continue this process about every couple minutes...

never figured out what was wrong with it, just got a different router, and it hasnt been a problem since. But something tells me this wouldnt be your problem, youd probably notice the lights on your router going off and on.
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 3:11pm
Is this a wired or wireless connection?

EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 12:53am
it acually plugs straight into the wall no router no wireless, nothing like that is enabled or anything... the ONLY think that changed as the problem started (oddly enough) is one of my ram sticks failing, it seems like since ive been running on 1gb the net has been crazy, (could easily be a coincidence)
also it started around the time i installed AVG but i only open that to scan, i close it all the rest of the time
MrNanite View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MrNanite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 9:07am
I have an Actiontec router and it does the same thing.  Every so often it just reboots itself.  It's quite annoying.  Not sure why.  How does one find out why?
Mysty View Drop Down

Quote Mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 11:49am
When I had my actiontec DSL Router/Modem the only problems I ever had were the lag; but that I found out was my ISP not my Rig or Router.  The only way to fix the issue was to get a Hawking Booster; which manages the Packets priority wise.  It actually worked really well; I never had a problem after that.  But I also had 2 VOIP phones, 2 laptops, 2 desktops & an Xbox; so I had alot of load.  But the Hawking booster sorted it all out and increased my speed significantly.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 6:31pm
id be right with you normally but the net worked like a dream for the past several months, up until last thursday or whatever it was when i BSODed every time i booted with my bad ram stick in...
the computer is directly connected from the onboard/mobo to the wall outlet, nothing else in my apt uses internet at all, no tivo/xboxlive/etc
this is very frustrating, since the pings show perfect.. my isp will not even address it... and why shoudl they if there is no evidence but my fu***4ing  games to show it screwing up

Edited by !ender_ - 11 Apr 2008 at 6:31pm
Mysty View Drop Down

Quote Mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 10:42am

their is a test that your isp will give you to narrow things down to see if its them or your rig; verizon has one; it basically tells you how fast about the lines coming in from your isp; the speed etc.  Also one thing I did was call my ISP to get the exact # of mbps (i think that was it; it was a long time ago); anyway then I went into the router and set that amt instead of having it automatically configured.  It was after all those fixes that I finally got the Hawking Booster; I figured if I bought it and it didnt work I could always return it.  But it did work.  You may want to do that just to try.

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 7:38pm
yea they test ping 2 ways, both by pinging me directly and by using a speedtest online tool that they have that reports to them... this problem has yet to show any signs of getting better, for anyone who plays COD i took some SSs to see if maybe you could troubleshoot a bit, the second SS is a pingtest through windows command prompt... it shows NO proof of these spikes, just like when my ISP pings me
and when i use the online too... as i said it does this in counterstrike 1.6 and WOW, so its not the game... but how do i prove it to them?!!?

Post Reply Post Reply