FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IOPS ssd

Post Date: 2012-04-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tju76 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: IOPS ssd
    Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:36pm
i have a question what is the difference between IOPS And sequential read and writes in a ssd, my question is what should i look for to see the most performance higher iops? higher sequential reads/writes? 
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 5:51pm
You'll find different sites using a variety of benchmarks trying to simulate average use, but probably for a system/application drive 4K random reads is as good as any. In any case, there doesn't seem to be much real difference between SSDs in typical desktop use. I think reliability is a more important criteria then speed in benchmarks. My own choices would be the Crucial M4, Intel 520, and Samsung 830, depending on price. Having said that, the reliability issues that have plagued Sandforce controllers seem to have been solved and most drives should probably be ok now. Prices have really come down lately and with a little patience, waiting for a sale, they can often be found for less than $1/GB.. For example last week a 256 MB M4 was on sale for $209

Marty 
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:24pm
Yeah thanks, I like the ocz vertex 4 I just think I should wait a month too see what people are saying about them before I pull the trigger
 Post Reply Post Reply