Post Date: 2014-07-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Interesting Speculation on the GTX800s
    Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:46am
It may be ready by November...

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-geforce-gtx-870-and-gtx-880-available-in-november.html
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:50pm
Thanks for the link.   I saw it earlier and it will be interesting to see how they perform.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:08am
Agreed bprat.  That said, according to this article, it looks like the 880 will be potentially 35% more powerful (if authentic of course)!!

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/leaked-nvidia-800-series-benchmarks-show-massive-performance-jumps/

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:52am
That will  be a nice healthy bump.   And if they are cheaper, more speculation Hahaha, then its all good. Drooling
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:54am
Wow - looks like it could be October!!  Sweet!!

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-28nm-maxwell-based-geforce-gtx-880-geforce-gtx-870-launch-early-october-geforce-gtx-860-hits-market-late-october/

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 11:55am
Well, it looks like late September for the 880 (and probably the 870).  There is still question as to how fast (more powerful than the 780 TI or not) but they are saying 4 GB and cheaper than the 780 TI...

http://videocardz.com/51117/exclusive-nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-released-september

September looks like a good month with X99 and the GTX 880 releases...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 12:22pm
Thanks for the link.   It looks like they're playing it down a little. Memory Interface of 256 bit is gtx 770 territory.   Makes higher vram a little less important. I guess we need to see clock speeds, etc before we can judge.   The pricing would be a definite plus.

September will be here in a flash.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:42am
It's sounding like the price point will be $400 - $450 tops.  It also a possibility that the card could be out the end of August.  I'm skeptical about that but September is sounding like the time frame.  I also read: 
"Apparently, the GeForce GTX 880 is going to come with a 3200 CUDA cores (stream processors), as well as a 950MHz Boost clock. The card is also supposed to come available with a 256-bit path to 4GB of GDDR5 memory and it is supposed to run at 7400MHz. the GM204 GPU is going to be among the first Nvidia GPU's  which are going to be running in a device with built in ARM 64-bit processor core."

It's looking like a September/October purchase for me (I know - I know I keep saying that but I'm also waiting for the Noctua dh15 and the Samsung 850 Pro to be offered by DS)...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 10:08am
Except for memory width, the 256 bit buss,  the other specs are better than the 780ti.     Will be nice to see how it all comes together in benches.

Can't wait to see your build.  The Noctua D15 is so out of the norm, with everyone else going liquid.   Nice.  Big%20Smile

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 10:28am
I think it will be a nice card.  Maxwell is more efficient than Kepler in its bandwidth use so that may offset the bus settings.  It may not be a great card to upgrade to from the 780 Ti or the Titans but with me using my SLI 8800s, I'll be digging it - lol.  Here's another quick read link:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-to-launch-geforce-gtx-880-in-september.html

That said, I'm dying to pull the trigger on a new rig.  Although DS not having these two items has basically put me into the next generation platform and video card.  I do have some questions about the new platform though.  I know that there isn't really any information on this but will the 5960X chip be better than the 5790K chip for gaming?  I'm assuming that the new platform should be quicker with DDR4 and the 8/16 cores etc etc.  What are your thoughts on this?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 10:58am
Just speculation because it can be some fun Big%20Smile, I don't think the new X99 with either the 5960x 8 core or 5930k 6 core will do much for gaming right now.   The 5930k, maybe, with some games that can actually make use of over 4 core.   But as of right now , the Haswell 4 cores still game better than the 6 core IB-E on X79. 

Pricing will also make a big difference as far as bang for your buck. 

The DDR4 is about 50% faster than the DDR3 from reports I've seen, but again , for gaming, I think its a lot of money for little or no gain.   Will 2 or 3 years down the road change that?  I don't know, but doubt it.

The newer gtx 800 family should definitely be worth the wait, being so close. 

We'll know pretty soon if my prophecies are good or all wrong. Hahaha

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Aug 2014 at 11:01am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 11:18am
Sometimes I can't help but think that when Nav or Alex follow discussions like this that they have to bite their tongues. Hahaha  Maybe get a few chuckles. 

That, in house, they actually have them and are testing them as we speak.  But, non-disclosures have their hands tied.   Big%20Smile LOL

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by bprat22

Sometimes I can't help but think that when Nav or Alex follow discussions like this that they have to bite their tongues. Hahaha  Maybe get a few chuckles.  That, in house, they actually have them and are testing them as we speak.  But, non-disclosures have their hands tied.   Big%20Smile LOL

Probably typed "Neener neener!" into the chat window a few times, just without hitting "post reply".
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 12:15pm
It wouldn't surprise me if Alex, Nav et al. have the goods and are testing them.  So 'fess up guys!!!

As for the X99, yeah that's kind of my take also.  Being that I upgrade so infrequently though, I usually try to get the newest technology and I milk it for a longggg time - lol.  That said, after 8+ years, I need a new rig!!  I wonder when/if DS will ever get the 850 pro and the Noctua dh15!!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 2:20pm
We're at the last stage before products go to customer so we don't get early launch items that quickly.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 4:34pm
Yeah, I figured it was a bit early.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 10:28am
Ahhh ha!  Alex is watching this thread!!  Hahaha 

It looks like a paper launch in September for these.  Gigabyte has already confirmed that they have a name and release window for their version of the 880 which will release in early October.  All this is good news.  X99 and 880 will hopefully be purchased by me depending on the Noctua & Samsung 850 availability at DS soon thereafter...  Strong 
 Post Reply Post Reply