Intel's DCC utility ready for Core i7

Post Date: 2008-10-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Intel's DCC utility ready for Core i7
    Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 12:49pm
Intel's DCC utility ready for Core i7

Windows based overclocking for Intel boards

Not everyone is born an overclocker and Intel's desktop control center allows those that aren't to intrigued by fiddling around in the BIOS an easy way to have a go at overclocking their system. During IDF Taipei earlier this week Intel was showing a version of the DCC up and running with a Core i7 965 Extreme Edition processor in the Smackover motherboard.

There are a few interesting things here, such as the option to adjust the QPI Voltage and the DCC also gives you the option to switch on and off Turbo Boost in Windows, although we're not sure if it requires a re-boot or not.

Another interesting option is the little tick box that says current override, as we're not quite sure what it does, but it's definitely related to the CPU. You can also change the memory timings and clock speed from within the DCC utility.

The system we saw wasn't being overclocked at the CPU was running at a fairly reasonable 56 degrees C which isn't too bad for a processor with a 130W TDP, considering that it was cooled with the standard retail cooler.

Post Reply Post Reply