FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm interested in a Vanquish II (Level 3)...

Post Date: 2014-08-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nyteshade517 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I'm interested in a Vanquish II (Level 3)...
    Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:14pm
Hello, I am new to these forums and new to Digital Storm. I happened to see the Forbes article about the Vanquish II line and it brought me here. The main thing I would be doing is everyday computer use (internet, email, watching videos, some light photo editing). I also want a computer that will solidly handle gaming without the need for being "the best". As long as it can do Medium/High consistently I would be more than satisfied. I try to look around at pre-made desktops but they always end up having red flags or are just too overpriced. Everything about the Level 3 model seems like it would be exactly what I am looking for. I want to stay in the $1000 range (I know the shipping will put that as a tad bit over but I'm ok with that).

I've searched around the different posts/reviews on here about it and all I have seen is glowingly positive experiences. This would be my first "gaming" PC and I want my experience to be a good one. All I have seen so far about Digital Storm is that they are a solid company and have a great community as well.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 2:56am
Hi Nyteshade517...Welcome to the forums.   The Vanquish level 3 with its quad core cpu and gtx 760 will give you an easy medium to high , even max with a lot of games, with no problem on a 1920x1080 screen.   It is a definite best bang for your buck.

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Sep 2014 at 2:57am

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:05am
Thank you for the response. I agree 100% with it being the best for the price I have seen. I'm glad I was able to find a computer I'm comfortable with putting my money into down the line. I'm hoping in the next few weeks to get it ordered. Once I do I'll come back here and post some pictures and my thoughts.
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:08am
Hello Nyteshade517. Welcome to the DS forums and soon to be a new member of the DS family.

Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:45am
(the following is a macro...)

Yea, what brpat said.

(that is all.)

Welcome to the forums, Nyteshade. I know the Vanquish will be everything you need it to be. If there are ever any issues, you can count on Digital Storm to make it right. Most people who order from them are customers for life.   

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:03am
Thanks again for the responses and warm welcome everyone...and I got a "Welcome To The Herd"...I feel so loved, lol

The bad thing is now I keep going back to the product page for the Level 3 and just keep looking at it...lol
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:06am
Yes...we ~ALL~ know that feeling. The bad news is it intensifies after you order. Building and building until your new baby arrives safely on your doorstep and you fire it up for the first time...

It's then that you realize it was worth every moment of waiting.

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 1:42pm
lol...yeah, if everything goes well I'll be making an order near the end of the month...if not then it will be in October so either way that's a lot of looking and waiting
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 4:27pm
Now is the time to look at Steam, Good Old Game (GOG) and any other game company that you like and watch for sales. Who knows what gems will be waiting once your new machine arrives.  Chilling
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
StealthG6 View Drop Down

Quote StealthG6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 4:52pm
For what you described I would say the Level 3 is just fine, maybe even the level 2 would do.
Apollo
i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 4GB
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97
H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 6:11pm
I do have one question...

Are the Vanquish II computers put through the same testing that the other computers are put through? I know these are pre-built so I don't know if that takes away some of the QA that the real custom builds get. Just trying to cross my T's and dot my I's I guess.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 12:45am
yes yes and yes.  They get quality tested just as the other machines.

The beauty is that they are already to assemble and their is no overclocking to test.  You'll find that DS cares just as much for their budget line customers as they do for the higher end machines.

And that fact will keep customers coming back time and time again.

Cheers.

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:09am
I figured so but I just wanted to make sure...Thank You
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 1:00pm
Most certainly welcome ... until you get to order and you get your machine, keep asking questions to keep learning more and more about your new baby.   

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 1:17pm
I will. That was about the only thing as of now I wanted to check on. I've read through almost all of the Vanquish II reviews and posts on here and checked on all of the parts. I have no reservations about the Level 3 so it's just a waiting game now.

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 6:36pm
Another bad thing with having to wait before making an order is that it gives you more time to think about ordering that one level higher...

I've been thinking about making my choice the Level 4 after all. The price difference may be $280 but considering the bump up in the graphics card, added SSD, and better CPU cooling it's definitely worth it. Plus it would include a download for the new Borderlands game which I would get anyway (at least for the time being...by the time I could order it may be taken away).
Rockcem View Drop Down

Quote Rockcem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Nyteshade517

Another bad thing with having to wait before making an order is that it gives you more time to think about ordering that one level higher...

I've been thinking about making my choice the Level 4 after all. The price difference may be $280 but considering the bump up in the graphics card, added SSD, and better CPU cooling it's definitely worth it. Plus it would include a download for the new Borderlands game which I would get anyway (at least for the time being...by the time I could order it may be taken away).
Indeed, Honestly if you have the budget i would definitely get the Level 4, Like you said you get,
-120 GB SSD
-GTX 770
-Upgraded air cooling.

It is well worth it and not only that you get a nice 60$ game :)
If you were to ask me, Buy the Vanquish II L4 It will last you years and make you happy. :p I myself just ordered mine Friday

Edited by Rockcem - 07 Sep 2014 at 8:09pm

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:39pm
That's honestly what I'm leaning toward right now.

I've already started getting the extras I would need while trying to catch deals and not paying full price so the Level 4 would fit my budget better. The thing I am hung up on the most now is a keyboard. I have a hard time making myself spend $100 on a keyboard (mechanical) so I'm leaning toward just getting a Logitech G105 or Microsoft Sidewinder X4. The Logitech one is $40 so it's definitely in the budget range. I never knew trying to pick a keyboard could be so difficult.
Rockcem View Drop Down

Quote Rockcem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:43pm

I've already started getting the extras I would need while trying to catch deals and not paying full price so the Level 4 would fit my budget better. The thing I am hung up on the most now is a keyboard. I have a hard time making myself spend $100 on a keyboard (mechanical) so I'm leaning toward just getting a Logitech G105 or Microsoft Sidewinder X4. The Logitech one is $40 so it's definitely in the budget range. I never knew trying to pick a keyboard could be so difficult.
Hmm, If you need mouse, headset, and keyboard, I would suggest getting the Logitech Gaming combo, Its $90, but they do only sell it on Best Buy, I personally bought that, as I did not want to spend to much, because I was on a limited budget too :p

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Rockcem

Hmm, If you need mouse, headset, and keyboard, I would suggest getting the Logitech Gaming combo, Its $90, but they do only sell it on Best Buy, I personally bought that, as I did not want to spend to much, because I was on a limited budget too :p

I already have a headset (Sony Pulse Elite) that I bought for my PS3 (now PS4). They work on PC too. I caught a deal on a ROCCAT mouse for $40 so I just need a keyboard. The G105 is the keyboard in that combo you bought.
Rockcem View Drop Down

Quote Rockcem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:53pm

I already have a headset (Sony Pulse Elite) that I bought for my PS3 (now PS4). They work on PC too. I caught a deal on a ROCCAT mouse for $40 so I just need a keyboard. The G105 is the keyboard in that combo you bought.
Indeed, I honestly would not recommend this keyboard, I mean its nice but It could be better, It is really good for a starter keyboard but i definitely see my self buying a mechanical keyboard so If you have the budget i would save the trouble and buy a mechanical keyboard :p

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:57pm

Indeed, I honestly would not recommend this keyboard, I mean its nice but It could be better, It is really good for a starter keyboard but i definitely see my self buying a mechanical keyboard so If you have the budget i would save the trouble and buy a mechanical keyboard :p

Guess I'll be waiting for a deal on a keyboard then. I have time to look anyway so I'll just use that to deal hunt.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 9:21pm
I picked up the DS mouse and keyboard combo with the level 4. The K200 Logitech keyboard is a bit small, but I wanted a new start until I could upgrade bits and pieces...

While it's not a $100 keyboard, it functions quite well and will hold me over until I can find enough disposable income for peripherals. (I think it's 3rd on my list after WiFi (DONE!), a new monitor (not yet), then keyboard/mouse.)

And yes, my lvl 4 is now 60' from any router or modem and purring along just fine with a simple USB dongle.

Next step, one o' those 144mhz Asus monitors!   

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 9:27pm
Mine would be plugged into the router so wireless isn't something I'm looking at right now. If I can catch a good keyboard on a sale I'll do that. At least all of this has let me learn more about what to look for in terms of quality vs price.
Rockcem View Drop Down

Quote Rockcem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Next step, one o' those 144mhz Asus monitors!   
I would no doubt recommend the Asus VG248QE This monitor is so beautiful and just amazing, 144Hz, 1ms, 3D and G-Sync compatible all for $260. I just gotta wait till my BEAST Vanquish II L4 gets here so i can do some real testing and see how good this monitor is
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 9:56pm
You know.. I could bring my lvl 4 over and plug into your VG248QE for awhile so we could see what it's capable of.. although I couldn't' guarantee you'd get a turn at it...   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 9:58pm

Mine would be plugged into the router so wireless isn't something I'm looking at right now. If I can catch a good keyboard on a sale I'll do that. At least all of this has let me learn more about what to look for in terms of quality vs price.

I understand as mine was hardwired for the longest time. But when I found a new place for it, it was nice to see that it was so simple to move and gets just as amazing gaming with WiFi. Just another bonus.   
Rockcem View Drop Down

Quote Rockcem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 9:59pm

You know.. I could bring my lvl 4 over and plug into your VG248QE for awhile so we could see what it's capable of.. although I couldn't' guarantee you'd get a turn at it...   
Haha that would be something hm I'm pretty sure this doesn't belong here but how does your vanquish handle games? like for example Skyrim Extremely modded? If you have tried that that is..!
Rockcem View Drop Down

Quote Rockcem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 10:00pm

Haha that would be something hm I'm pretty sure this doesn't belong here but how does your vanquish handle games? like for example Skyrim Extremely modded? If you have tried that that is..!
Also just saw your post and what kinda WiFi Adapter are you using? I need one for myself too I still don't have anything to connect my Vanquish to the internet with :/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 11:58pm

hm I'm pretty sure this doesn't belong here but how does your vanquish handle games? like for example Skyrim Extremely modded? If you have tried that that is..!

Funny you should ask that. I received my Vanquish at the end of March and the first graphics heavy game I put on it was Skyrim (first game was World of Tanks, cuz I love me some heavy armor). When I loaded Skyrim, I also loaded TONS of mods, including some heavy texture mods. Probably over 100 mods total.

I'm not going to lie and say I saw huge FPS across the board. But playing on GEForce optimized High settings, I think the lowest I ever dropped to was around 30fps in a very graphically intensive area. I was so in love with the game on this machine that within the first 30 days of playing I had over 300 hours on the game. (That averaged to over 10hrs a DAY! I needed an INTERVENTION!!!)

All games I'm playing or have played have been presented VERY well with the 770 in the Vanquish 4. I am only having issues with the unoptimized version of RUST legacy, and it's not a fps issue, it's a heat issue... but then again, the game is unoptimized and just not right yet.

On your other question:

Also just saw your post and what kinda WiFi Adapter are you using? I need one for myself too I still don't have anything to connect my Vanquish to the internet with :/

I wanted to get the Panda USB dongle that I've listed on these forums in a couple of places, but never got around to ordering it.. and when it came time to move the machine I wasn't interested in waiting for the dongle to arrive, even next day. I have a Radio Shack very near the house and picked up a NetGear 300N and am very happy with the results. Yes, its a bit more expensive than the amazon deals, but I paid for convenience. Also, the 300N isn't their top of the line (or bottom for that matter) so if you do a lot of streaming you might have to get something a bit faster. But for my ISP and my applications, it's bloody perfect.

Hope that info helps!!

Cheers!

TL:DR, Love my Vanquish!   
Rockcem View Drop Down

Quote Rockcem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:37am
Wow nice! Hmm I wanna play Guild was 2 for my first game but I don't think I'm going to have the money to buy it right away. :p I gotta recover a bit haha but either way if I can't find the adapter I'm just gonna get an Ethernet cable until I find an adapter. So thanks for the info!!

Edited by Rockcem - 08 Sep 2014 at 3:38am

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 7:26am
I was just going to order the Level 4 but now the free game offer for Borderlands has been removed. Guess that's my luck. That was one of the reasons I was going to order that tier so I guess I'll just hold off for now then. I wish there would have been an expiration date for the offer or if there was I never saw it.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:43am
IIRC the game bundles are controlled by Nvidea... it is not something DS has control over. If you head to Nvidia's site you'll see what bundles are next.

I know how you feel, I missed the bundle I wanted to get by 2 weeks and got some code for "daylight" that I'll never use. In the end, though, it's not about the free stuff, it's all about a great machine to play everything on.

Quote Nyteshade517 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 11:09am
I know...just frustrating because that's $60 I wasn't planning on having to spend.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 12:26pm
Oh, I understand that... When I missed the bundle that included AC4:BF, I simply hit up ebay and found a code for something like $5.
 Post Reply Post Reply