FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm a Noob with a Headache

Post Date: 2008-04-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Andromedan View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Andromedan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I'm a Noob with a Headache
    Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 8:53am

Hello folks,

I have recently become interested in SLI rigs...after waiting about a decade and a half for some decent graphics developments. So, after reading topics, benchmarks and such for endless hours, I finally ended up reading the article of ''rig of the month" on the nVidia website. As a noob, I know next to nothing about building a custom rig with custom liquid cooling. I have tried to read up as much as I can on this topic, but its to much to learn in one go.

What I have learned though is that the 98xx series is not great if you want to get 20+ fps in crysis at 1920x1200 with 4x AA. The thing that struck me in Kelly's article was that he obviously plays at 70+ fps, which I still don't understand.

In light of my confusion, I want to ask for some guidance in the process of planning my custom rig. I would really appreciate any advice or correction. There's some Dutch language in the specs below. I'm Dutch Smile.. crazy.

This is what I have so far:
(I have no idea if the 8800 GTX's run on a 790i in SLI. Don't know how much power everything will consume when clocked. Don't know if the case is good for a high end custom liquid cooling setup. Lots of confusion here.)

processor: Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz 1333Mhz 6Mb (don't need quad)
Mobo:  Asus Striker II LGA775 nForce 790i Ultra SLI     
RAM:  Corsair XMS3-1600 2Gb DDR3 x2 TW3X2G1600
3D:  3 x eVGA 8800 GTX
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W W0216 99A 12V1~12V4 or 1600W (don't know) 
Case:  Thermaltake Armor Silver aluminium Front, 25 cm Fan, Super Tower     
Sound:  Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer
HD:  WD Raptor X 150Gb (probably need some more there)
Screen: Samsung SyncMaster 245T

Liquid Cooling:

Ok, this is rocket science for me. I have planned this list according to a guide I've read, but I don't know when its complete, what I need exactly and how much of everything. Its probably not complete yet. Most of the big parts I understand, but the small ones remain a mystery. Again, I would appreciate and advice here to make it as complete as possible. Most parts are available here in the Netherlands.)

CPU:  EK-Supreme - Acetal (universal socket)
 GPU:  EKVG10 EK Water Blocks EK–FC8800 GTX SLI – Acetal x3 
 Pump:  Laing D5-MCP655 12V - 1/2 slang aansluiting
 Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3 Triple
 Fan:  Scythe 120MM S-FLEX SFF21F 1600RPM
 Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro AGB 
 Tubing:  Tygon R3603 - HighFlow - 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD - Clear    
 coolant: Swiftech HydrX Extreme Duty Coolant
 clamps: Slangklem 12MM - 20MM (7/16 - 1/2) RVS Zilver (worm-drive)
 misc barbs: 13MM (1/2) EK High Flow Fitting - G3/8     
 barbs: EK High-Flow Fitting (G 1/4" Thread, 1/2" OD)

Another issue is the GTX cards. The ones I'm planning to buy are the regulars. Not the overclocked ones, I can do that here I think. The question is, can I overclock them as much as the one Kelly has for example and do I need a special interface for it. thought I'd seen something about a ASC3 bios. Dunno.

These are the main problems I''m facing at the moment, the rest I will need to learn myself. I'm not lazy.

thanks people Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply