FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/NEW BUILD

Post Date: 2012-05-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
seanm View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote seanm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/NEW BUILD
    Posted: 30 May 2012 at 9:56am

So what do you guys think of my new build? is the noise proofing needed? any advice on things to change or add?   

Budget:

Expectations:
max out every game I have on one big monitor while being quiet, future proof as possible and generally kickass.

Usage:
Gaming
Rendering
Photoshop
lots of movies and music

Special Needs:
quiet and hopefully dust resistant.

Saved Ticket #: [378182]

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 02G-P4-2682-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:56am
Hi seanm,

I don't have time to help right now but maybe someone else will stop by. Just be sure you don't order this system until you have heard some suggestions.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:06am
Hi seanm....Thats' a good build but I still like the one I gave you in the other posting you started.Big%20Smile      Config # 693138      Cost $ 4626

The Halistorm case in this build is a great case but mainly for full water cooled setups.  Plus the added performance fans will generate more noise and with the hafX you wouldn't need the noise suppression package.

The Hailstorm 800D and the others mentioned in the other post like 550D and 500R will all work, just that some cases are better.  You did mention you wanted someting cleaner looking.   DS will let you know if there is a problem. 

But if you're looking for other ideas which is always a good idea, like you don't like the HafX case, etc then others will give you great advice.

Another thought...if you don't need the Extreme mobo, then the Deluxe gives you built in WiFi, so the added card isn't needed.  Just a little thing but worth mentioning.

Woops..Frank just mentioned the moboBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 31 May 2012 at 8:00am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:57am
Hi seanm,

I didn't realize you had another configuration thread up. You really need to keep all of your questions in one thread so we know what is going on. If bprat22 gave you a build I am sure it is better than this build with out even seeing his build.

1. Wrong case for your build. The HAF-X is a much better choice unless you water cool the GPUs.

2. Get the Deluxe Mobo and drop the wireless card.

3. Drop the 2300 memory and get the DS 1600. All you need for gaming unless you are smart enough to OC your CPU beyond what DS does and adjust timing of the memory.

4. In my opinion RAID-0 is a mistake with SSD. The Intel SSD does not do garbage collection until all memory blocks have been wrote to. At that time you will take a hit on your write speeds. The RAID setup will increase your write times but they will eventually decrease to some amount due to the garbage collection problem. When SSds are not in RAID then TRIM kicks in and that helps solve the garbage collection problem. TRIM doesn't work in RAID. Anything you save to RAID-0 drives must be backed up in the event of a drive failure. They are very reliable but not infallible. If any SSD in a RAID-0 array fails you lose all data.

5. Drop the OC back to Stage-1. You have a 6 core CPU that generates a lot of heat and DS prefers a Stage-1 OC.

6. You are better off not letting DS tweak your OS. Get your system and get everything set up the way you want to use your computer and then tweak the OS. If DS does it they may turn off something you like or want to use and you won't know about it or can't find it.

7. Don't get a sound card unless you have a sound system that will take advantage of it. Most gamers can't tell the difference or don't care about the difference that a sound card makes.

Frank
seanm View Drop Down

Quote seanm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:46pm
Apologies for the multiple posts it seemed as though the past one was well buried... I'll keep anything further to this one from now on.

Can someone tell me about each of these cases? Especially about their cooling potential. I like the efficiency the HAF-X case just hate the aesthetic.     

1.Corsair 600T

2.Cooler Master Cosmos II

3.Fortress FT02

4.Corsair 650D

The advice on here has been really helpful in refining my build

Any parts that you guys would recommend I change for longevity or better cooling? What about the memory that says it reduces heat output?

seanm View Drop Down

Quote seanm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:40pm
Cooler Master Cosmos II = Problem Solved
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 6:40am
Awesome  That is a beast of a case.    

We'd love to see pics when you get it.Drooling
 Post Reply Post Reply