FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High pitch tone fans don't work

Post Date: 2014-11-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VirtualMedia View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VirtualMedia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: High pitch tone fans don't work
    Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 3:24pm
Good day / evening

Please help! I have a  DS Custom pc designed for 3D Graphics and video editing:

Started machine today and got a high pitched tone and noticed fans are not working. Shut machine down immediately.  Could someone please help me diagnose this, It's a production machine and I have project deadlines and no way to work on them.

Had cooling pump go out on machine about a week after warranty expired which I had to pay for and replace myself. So far this has NOT been a good PC experience.

---------------------------------------------

System Configuration:
Chassis Model:  Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance (Model: CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): - nvidia quadra 4000
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color: Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: Scythe Kaze Master Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade) (KM01-BK)
Chassis Mods: HailStorm & 950Si: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Holes
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your time and help!

Ric Armstrong
Virtual Media

The Virtual Broadcasting Network
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 4:40pm
Hi VirtualMedia... High pitched sound could be a hardware failure. Does anything turn on, like lights,display,etc?   If it happens immediately, could be the power supply cooling fan. If no fans turn on, meaning the case fans and rad fans, then psu is a fair bet. Try blowing the psu fan out with canned air in case it's plugged with dust.

Other sources of the noise could be the video cards fan, HDD going bad, water pump or any case fan. I would unplug each to see if the noise goes away on boot.

Hope this helps and good luck.

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 12:01am
Hi VirtualMedia,

A high pitch squeal sounds like a bearing failing in some apparatus as suggested by bprat22. Start it again and see if you can locate the general area the sound is coming from. Remove the side cover before you start it. You won't damage anything if you run it for a very short time to listen. One trick is to take a cardboard tube and hold it over your ear so you hear sound through the tube. Hold your hand over the other ear. Moving the tube around the computer will help you locate the sound. The tube will give you directional hearing. Keep the tub end very close to the devise you are listing to. If that doesn't work then you will have to unplug power to devices to find the bad one. Listen to the Power Supply first.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 17 Nov 2014 at 12:09am
VirtualMedia View Drop Down

Quote VirtualMedia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 3:04pm
Thanks for all the replies, definitely feeling better about the purchase knowing the support is there to back me up. 

I opened the case and pulled and reconnected all cables leading to the fan controller, I noticed one of them seemed to be a little loose. The high pitched tone was indicating the the top and rear fans as well as the fan controller weren't operating. Either way I'm happy to say I'm back in business.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Edited by VirtualMedia - 17 Nov 2014 at 3:06pm
The Virtual Broadcasting Network
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 3:21pm
Good to hear.
 Post Reply Post Reply