FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hi i have a question ...

Post Date: 2014-06-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
epicnoob View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote epicnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: hi i have a question ...
    Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 10:24am
I have a 5yr old Digital storm laptop. I would like to upgrade my hard drive to A solid state hard drive. I backed up my computer to an external 1 TB hard drive using Nova Backup. My Q is when i get the new hard drive installed. How would i go about copying my disk image to the new drive? Do i need to re-install Win 7 ? with the disk got with my laptop.? Thanks :PExcited
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 5:52pm
Hello epicnoob. Welcome to the forums.

I am not familiar with the Nova Backup. Does it make a physical image copy (bit for bit) or a logical image (file by file) backup? If physical image, it will restore to the same storage architecture and partition size (or larger). If the receiving device has a different architecture or a smaller partition, the restore should fail.

On the other hand if you have a logical backup, then you should be able to restore to a different storage architecture and partition size so long as Nova Backup supports both architectures.

I prefer to backup my personal files with a logical backup to an external drive and then reinstall the OS, drivers, and all of the programs. Once that is done, I restore my personal files. This gives me a chance to start with a clean registry. It is more work than restoring everything from backup, but it results in a "cleaner" system.  vOv
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
epicnoob View Drop Down

Quote epicnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 7:48am
It does file by file. Thanks for the advise

Post Reply Post Reply