FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Selection

Post Date: 2014-09-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IanB View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote IanB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with Selection
    Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:02am
Hi All, I'm about to purchase a DS desktop and I need some help selecting which.
My requirements are not huge but I guess primary importance is noise as it's being used in the same room as my wife is watching tv!
I think I would prefer the Bolt 2, it has lots of power, is described as quiet and looks gorgeous. Then I read a number of online reviews some of which said that the casing can get hot and this may adversely affect longevity.
So I guess it's a choice between that and the Apollo, they are similar price, similar spec, but the Apollo case has more air space for cooling.
Can anyone comment on the relative noise levels of these two machines?
Would the noise of either of them be noticeable to someone say 10ft away?
Is case or internal overheating really an issue on the Bolt 2?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:15am
Hi IanB.....  Welcome to the forums.  Big%20Smile

I haven't heard any heat or noise issues with the Bolt 2, in fact, have heard from limited feedback, just the opposite.   I have no experience with it, so maybe others can help.

The Apollo is similar to the ODE 600T which I have and the fans are  noticeable several feet away but not annoying at all, imho.  A soft whooshing from the fans.  Noise is very subjective.    In most gaming rigs, its the graphics card fan under heavy load that will make the most noise as the card ramps up the rpm.  

The quietest case here is the Slade, Corsair 550D.   It is a closed up case with top and side acoustic panels to deaden the noise.  If you're looking for a single graphics card setup then it should stay quiet and cool just fine. 

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Sep 2014 at 7:16am
IanB View Drop Down

Quote IanB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 12:14pm
Thanks for your reply Bprat22, it is most useful, I will certainly check-out the Slade. I would however love to hear from an owner of a Bolt 2 as to what they've found re heat/noise
 Post Reply Post Reply