FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with new Bolt II configuration

Post Date: 2014-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ipla View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ipla Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with new Bolt II configuration
    Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 5:10am
Hey there!

I'm planning to buy a new computer and I want it to replace my old mid-tower next to my 55inch TV. I'll use it for Gaming plus watching movies and tv shows and I want it to be small as the Bolt II is, but also as much as silent as possible.

Below it's the base config on Digital Storm Configuration tool, but I want to change a couple of things they don't have already listed on the tool.

First, I want to replace the 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD by this one: Samsung XP941 256Gb PCIe x4 M.2

And second and most important, I want this GPU: Asus GeForce Strix GTX 970 DirectCU II OC 4GB GDDR5 as the fans don't start working until needed, so it'll have 0db while watching movies.

Any thoughts? Could they change this components or I've to buy it as it is and change them by myself? Will be the Asus Strix fit in the Bolt II? Thanks much!

Digital Storm Bolt II (Config # 1069524) - $2,623.00

Chassis
Chassis Model: Pre-built Digital Storm Bolt II
Exterior Finish: Onyx Black Matte Finish

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (SupremeFX Impact, Sonic Radar)

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)

Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition (Quiet) (Gold Plus Rated)

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 1GB (Includes PhysX)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: High Static Pressure - Corsair Air Series SP120 Fans (2x 120mm)
Internal Lighting: Front Panel + Internal Chassis (RGB LED Lighting System)

Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 5:51am
Hi ipla....  DS will special order any part you might want.  There is an added fee for the special order and that's something they would have to quote.

You can also do it yourself.  It doesn't effect the warranty, unless what you do damages another part. 

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Oct 2014 at 5:53am
ipla View Drop Down

Quote ipla Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 4:38am
Anyone else have tried to put an Asus GTX9xx Strix in the Bolt II? It fits? Thanks much!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 4:50am
Chances are, no one here will have personal experience, but you never know.

The card is a bit longer than most, so I would email or call DS and get a definitive answer. Or, Alex or Nav might know when they show up later.   

If you find out, let us know.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:39am
The STRIX won't fit because the height of the PCB on the card is much taller than a normal graphics card. The Bolt II is very compact and will not fit such a tall card unfortunately.

The reference based design of the GTX 980 still runs very cool and quiet, you can get a lot of headroom with it, you don't really need a high-end aftermarket cooler on the GPU.

Hope this helps!
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 10:07am
Just a something you should be aware of the M.2 slot shares lanes with the PCIe 16x slot, so it will limit that slot to 8x. This shouldn't limit performance of the graphics card. While the motherboard supports PCIe 3.0 for the M.2 drive, the XP941 is only PCIe 2.0. The Samsung SM951 (a 4x PCIe 3.0 M.2 drive) has been announced, but only as an OEM part, and I have no idea of what the availability of it is. At the time of the announcement in July, Samsung stated that it was shipping to OEMs.

As far as the graphics card, looks like you can't get the Strix in there, but there are other, improved cooler cards that are standard height. You might want to ask about the EVGA cards with their ACX 2.0 cooling solution.

Edited by danjw1 - 24 Oct 2014 at 10:29am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 10:57am
I'm doing just about the same with the Bolt II I just ordered. I am getting the EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 to put in the box. Anandtech has tested this card and found that the overclock (one of, if not the highest from the factory out there) EVGA has put on the card is about as high as the card can handle (the cooling solution is overkill, so that is not a limiting factor). Also, the fans on the ACX 2.0 (not the ACX) do go to 0 RPM in low loads (at the time Anandtech was testing it, EVGA sent them a preview of the BIOS, and it did work).

I'm sticking with the ASUS Z97I-Plus so there is the best signal integrity to the graphics card as possible, as there is already a flexible PCI-e extension added. I do like how DS has used a single flexible extension instead of two rigid extenders; there is a lot of signal loss across connectors (so much so, I'm not sure even a single extension will be possible with PCI-e 4.0, as PCI-SIG has to resort to bumping up the PCI-e signalling rate to 16 GHz to double the bandwidth across the interface). I don't quite understand why ASUS only put 2 lanes to the M.2 connector on the Z97I-Plus; it is not like they have many other uses for the PCI-e lanes coming off of the PCH...the WiFi card on the mini-PCI-e connector using at most 2 lanes is all I can see. Oh well, it almost maxes out the XP941's potential, so there won't be that much performance loss.
ipla View Drop Down

Quote ipla Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 5:24am
Mmmm... so EVGA has an updated BIOS with 0RPM fans at idle. That sounds good.

Oks, and about the M.2 connector of Z97I-Plus, it seems a better choice for XP941. And it seems SM951 is impossible to buy for now from retailers (the one to seems to fit better with the Impact).

So, @Nexbie, let me know how how your machine works for you when arrives! I'm specially concerned about the noise so I'll be grateful if you put here some comments about it. The other option I was tempted to do was making a build myself using a Define R4 case, but... you know, this DS Bolt II is so small and sexy... XD
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:44am
I'll post first impressions when I receive the machine. I've ordered a couple of fans to replace the Corsair ones that come with the Bolt II...that has been one of the criticisms of the H100i, along with the fan connector coming off of the block/pump. But with reviews of the Bolt II being very quiet until you really load up the processors with a game or something (at which point it becomes a low hum), I have high hopes for this machine to be practically inaudible in low load scenarios...the fan on the PSU is the only unknown at this point.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 12:12am
I received my GTX 970 FTW yesterday and have been configuring and stress testing it in my current computer (nearly 5 year old EVGA X58 Micro). It had a slight amount of coil whine during some of the stress testing, but has gone away.

I did upgrade the firmware and a very cool thing I noticed was that the fans would stop independently of one another...leading me to believe that there are fan controls for each fan! Stress testing only brought fan speed up to a maximum of 45%. I could never hear them, as the other fans on my system drown them out.

My Bolt II is in Stage 5 of the build at the moment...
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 9:18pm
FedEx is supposed to deliver my Bolt II tomorrow...I hope it will be in the morning. I will get everything up and running and let you know what my impressions are then.

If you order an EVGA 970 card by Nov 9th, they have a free back-plate offer. However, I'm not sure I'm am going to install the back-plate...it may impinge on the airflow, especially right behind the radiator. NVIDIA is also running the Pick-Your-Path promotion now, too. I ordered my computer with the low end AMD card, so I also got a Never Settle bundle code, too (although it is for the lowest tier).
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 4:34am
You realize that if a backplate was going to "impinge" on airflow since there's a radiator right behind, then your card will do?

That doesn't make too much sense. Back plates literally screw right onto the back part of the video card. Damn near lays completely flush.

Back plates improve the appearance, but they also increase the structural integrity of the card to help minimize and prevent GPU droop. Grant it, the card doesn't hang in a bolt, not does it improve appearance since you don't see the card like you do in a traditional case... they are still of some benefit. They even help reduce some temps as it's more area to absorb and dissipate heat.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 7:40am
I agree with Meller, on the backplate, it will spread the heat and should improve card temperatures. This is why all 980s ship with backplates.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 8:51am
Yeah, I also would install the backplate.  I know what you're saying about the heat from the Bolt's 240mm rad funneling in the narrow area up and behind the 980, but I think the plate might actually keep the exhaust  heat away from the card.

Just me. Big%20Smile

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 9:51am
My 2¢... Install it. There's a reason it's sold as an upgrade.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 9:55am
Don't shortchange yourself.    More like 5 cents.  HahahaBig%20Smile
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 10:18pm
So, I would have thought there would be a cut-out behind the radiator to give it breathing room...man, was I wrong. There are some perforations behind where the Hydrolux controller would normally sit, but up where the GPU is, it is basically a solid plate. So, no extra restrictions with a back-plate...but there is another problem. That aforementioned plate in the chassis, it is awfully close to the back of the GPU and I'm not sure a card with a back-plate would fit. Anyways, once I get everything set up and working with it, I'll post my impressions elsewhere on the forum.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 2:46am
Looking forward to it. Thanks.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 6:48pm
@ipla...I've successfully tweaked my machine to have 0 fans operating for standard web browsing and streaming duties. You can only hear the faint noise of the pump and flowing fluid (which is constant speed all of the time). There is enough thermal capacity in the H100i to handle this, which is sweet.
 Post Reply Post Reply