FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with configuration

Post Date: 2012-07-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CEW01 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CEW01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with configuration
    Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:08pm
Need input on this configuration for a high end gaming pc and monitor

Ticket Number: 712090

My budget is around $5k. I want the capability to play all the latest games at max settings. Any input is really appreciated. Thanks all!

Edited by CEW01 - 25 Jul 2012 at 6:09pm
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:11pm
just putting in my 2 cents but you could lower your budget by 2k and still have a kick ass system that will max out current and next gen games. I would take that 2k and get a nice multi monitor setup with a 7.1 speaker setup just to add to the immersion
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:13pm
You will also need to tell us what size monitor/resolution you plan on gaming at.

This way we can help you spend money where you need to and none where you do not.

Oh and BTW here is his config as he submitted it:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) < do you need this?
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)  < in order to use raid you need two of the same hard drives, you can't raid a SSD and a traditional HD.

I recommend you take the SSD 180GB and the WD Black and go with independent drives.
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1 (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based) < I do not believe you will have room for this part.
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Advanced Recovery Kit (40GB Hard Drive Partition of Image With OS & Drivers)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Office Home and Business (PC Attach Key PKC)
Game: Call of Duty: World At War
Display: Samsung 27 inch 350 Series LED (Widescreen) (Black) (2ms Response Time) < I guess this covers the monitor and reso - youll game for a long time at 1920x1080 with 2-680s
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks < Get the T-Shirt all the cool kids do.
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed < This is a waste of money, let them build you the PC the steady way, rush makes room for human error.
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
< Consider a higher warranty?

Edited by xii - 25 Jul 2012 at 7:18pm
CEW01 View Drop Down

Quote CEW01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:48pm
Thanks for the feedback so far, I really appreciate it. I have 2 of the SSD drives specced that I plan to raid together plus the 1 TB drive. I think I'll have room for the sound card since it gave me the option in the config menu.TJU76, what do you recommend? What do you guys think of this monitor? I want something that will last a while and not be obsolete 18 months from now. Thanks all!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 10:48am
Hi CEW01....Here's my thoughts on a basically very good build.

The Hailstorm case is a great case, but is primarily designed for full water cooled systems.  It will work and DS will test to make sure, but we always recommend the HafX case because of its great cooling.  Its 230mm and 2x 200mm fans will keep the air moving real nice.  The Hailstorm has a single 140mm fan pushing air into the mobo cavity.  Cases are a very personal thing, so your choice as always. 

The Stage 3 Frost chill cpu cooler only has a 120mm rad.  I would suggest either going a little more $$ and getting the stage 4 with its 240mm rad or stepping back to the stage 2 Vortex 240mm rad.  The stage 4 has better components.  The only reason for the stage 3 frost chill is if you want the looks of the cooling tubes and want to sample an entry level water cooled solution and don't want to spend the extra $150 for true water cooling for the cpu.   Again, it is your choice as always and will work. 

Plus, if you stay with the Hailstorm case, DS will mount the 240mm rad, the stage 2 or 4,  and their two fans to the top to give you better airflow.  The 120mm stage 3 rad is mounted to the inside back I believe, but not 100%.

The Advanced recovery kit is a 40GB partition which is a fast and convenient way to have OS re-install but if the drive fails, I don't believe they send backup discs to fall back on.

The 6 core 3930k cpu is more than you need for gaming.  It certainly doesn't hurt to have it, but it is for those into video rendering, Photoshop, etc that  can take advantage of it.
 You could save $300 and go with the 4 core 3820 cpu.  That money could be put to the stage 4 cpu cooler if you wished.

Don't forget your free t-shirt.Drooling

Good Luck Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Jul 2012 at 11:01am
CEW01 View Drop Down

Quote CEW01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 10:59am
great input, do you suggest the Stage 4 cooling in conjunction with the HafX case? also, in your opinion,  is the sound card a worthwhile investment versus the onboard audio option?

Edited by CEW01 - 26 Jul 2012 at 11:05am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 11:07am
With the HafX case the stage 4 will work great.  Another option which is cheaper and more dependable and zero maintenance, is the Noctua D14 air cooler.  It is a big block of metal cooling fins that leaves little to go wrong.

But, the stage 4 is nice also.  The 240mm rad of stage 4 would replace the HafX top 200mm fan but it still works very good.

For dependability and no work down the road go D14.  For a nice taste of water cooling and more room around the mobo, go level 4.

Either way is great.  I  always opt for dependability from decades in field service but that's just me. 

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile

EDIT...just saw the audio question.......I haven't used a sound card in many years and still use cheapo speakers so I'm not the best for advice.Cry  From other posts, the integrated sound is very good and is all most need.   The sound card would be if you are really tuned to the sounds and have real nice speakers or headphones that can use it. 

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Jul 2012 at 11:12am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 11:20am
Another way to save about $300 is to go sli gtx 670 or the 670FTW overclocked.   The 670's are within 10% performance of the 680 and are cheaper.  But, the 680 is a great card and if in the budget then you can't do better.

With a 1920x1080 monitor, I don't believe you'd see the difference in performance.  If you went 30" at 2560x1600 for example then the extra few fps could be a help. 

Just a thought.
CEW01 View Drop Down

Quote CEW01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 11:22am
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm just about there with this build. Sorry, other than cut and paste which looks screwey not sure how to post the specs so I'll just post the ticket number. What do you think, am I missing something? What are your thoughts on the soundcard versus onboard audio? thanks again for all the help, I plan to order as soon as I settle on a spec.

Ticket Number: 712400

CEW01 View Drop Down

Quote CEW01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 11:28am
Think Ill stick with the 680's but your advice is appreciated. I also think I can get away with the on board audio which is what I've used for years. Wasnt sure if the advancements in audio cards made them a worthwhile purchase. I sometimes play with the sound off too so unless there is a huge improvement with the card I'll just stick with onboard audio. Thanks again, this is all really helpful.
ps: what do you guys think of the monitor? I really like samsung, I have a samsung tv which is awesome and a lesser quality samsung monitor whch is awesome too. But want to get a great monitor for gaming.

Edited by CEW01 - 26 Jul 2012 at 11:32am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 11:39am
For me that build looks great.  Awesome Great gaming heading your way.

I and lots others here have used the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM or its 24" cousin.  They look great.  But there are lots of very good IPS monitors out there by Asus, etc.  Never did much research on monitors.

Others might chime in with recommendations on monitor and audio. 

Best of luck and keep us posted. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Jul 2012 at 11:40am
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 3:04pm
Personally I would take the money saved buy the dell u2412m I own this and it is absolutly amazing pick up a nice set of speakers and go with a soundcard I watch movies and love music so it was perfect for me. The 3820 is a great cpu I use it deffinitly go with the 680s good investment with substantial overclocking headroom. The hailstorm case is a beauty and room for expansion in years to come, if you go with the hailstorm you might want to go full liquid cooling on the cpu and vga cards not needed on chipset. If you are computer knowledgable I reccomend getting your own ssd you can save money and get a faster drive look at the vertex 4 256gb about 209 each and very fast easy to install. Picking up a 2nd one to put in raid
 Post Reply Post Reply