FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me build a Youtube / Streaming Machine

Post Date: 2015-02-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pyrostasis View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pyrostasis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help me build a Youtube / Streaming Machine
    Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 12:07pm
Hey guys I am a fulltime Youtuber / Streamer.

I'm looking to update my rig to something that can run damn near anything at high settings at 60fps 1080p and if possible Recording locally. Local recording always causes a performance hitch. I will most likely try and use my MSI laptop as a secondary recording device and just game on this machine, but I want the option to use it as a solo system if needed.

Here is the system I'm currently looking at.
id=1142792 (wont let me post the link)

My concerns are the GPU. SLI 970's seem like a great deal. 970's I hear are only 10% performance decrease from a 980. However, I've never used SLI before and I've heard that SLI can frequently have issues with games. As a youtuber compatability is a major importance.

A single 980 would allow me to upgrade in the future, but would a Titan be better? Issue I have with the Titan is its just damned expensive and I'm not sure its worth the $$. On top of that 980's are newer arent they? Isn't the more modern tech used in them? Help me pick the configuration here.

Another concern of mine is the noise. I picked the quietest system that DS offers, selected all the noise options I can to reduce, I'm just concerned that its still going to sound like a jet turbine. As I record my audio with a rather sensative mic I cant have something screaming in the background. A little fan noise is fine, especially if I can place the box a few feet from the Mic, but if its loud that's kind of a deal breaker.

Finally I have a question regarding the Laser printing. Its a vanity thing I know but I was curious if its a color etch or black and white? Reason I ask is I have a logo I'd love to use but if its black and white probably not worth the trouble and cost.

Keep in mind I'd like to keep this PC as close or under 4k as possible. Any help and input would be appreciated.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 12:36pm
The only advantages a Titan has over the 980 or 970 is the amount of video memory (6GB vs 4GB) and double precision floating point operations. Neither of those are needed for your application. 2GB of VRAM is good enough for your application, so 4GB on the 980 and 3.5GB + 0.5GB on the 970 is more than adequate.

If you want a quiet build, I'd recommend going for a semi-passive configuration. Here is what I changed in your build:

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1143261
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Non-Window Metal Side Panel)
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I switched the power supply to the Corsair AX1500i...it is overly powerful and costs a bit more but is semi-passive and the fan doesn't turn on a lower power loads. Same thing with the GPU...I switched you over to the ASUS GTX 980 STRIX, which doesn't run the fans until the chip reaches higher temperatures. The fans are optimized for cool operation, too.

ASUS has excellent fan control and optimization on their motherboard which can completely stop the fans when the system is at low temperatures, so you're good to go there. The CPU I changed to the better air cooler...you can take advantage of the motherboard being able to spin down the fans and the large area of the heat sink can still convect away heat when the fans aren't on (it also doesn't have the pump noise that is always on). The upgraded fans are mostly there for aesthetics and they are in a closed case, so I saved a little money there. The Obsidian 550D case already has noise dampening material in it, so you only need stage one, where they optimize the fan speeds (hopefully they enable the fans to be stopped completely, but that is an easy thing to do yourself, if needed). I also removed the spinning drive (noise & heat) and changed your config to a single 1TB SSD for greater reliability (it still has ample performance).

Overclocking will work against your need for extremely quiet operation. It will generate a good deal more heat and require that much more effort from the cooling system to remove it. An un-overclocked system has the best performance-to-efficiency ratio.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:14pm
I am no expert on recording, but I thought you wanted to put your recording drive on it's own controller to reduce conflicts.

A RAID 0 setup with two SSDs might make for a fast writing volume. This is a guess. People have recorded for years without the need for such a setup ( but resolution have increased.)

I believe you could also look into setting core affinity for the software used to record. Such that it is, by default assigned to some specific core. I am not sure how well that works, but it might be worth looking into.
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"

Quote Pyrostasis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by michaeljhuman

I am no expert on recording, but I thought you wanted to put your recording drive on it's own controller to reduce conflicts.

A RAID 0 setup with two SSDs might make for a fast writing volume. This is a guess. People have recorded for years without the need for such a setup ( but resolution have increased.)

I believe you could also look into setting core affinity for the software used to record. Such that it is, by default assigned to some specific core. I am not sure how well that works, but it might be worth looking into.

I usually use the SSD's for the OS and the Game I'm playing then either write to a external usb 3.0 5 TB hd or an extra 1tb drive in the system itself.

I dont write to SSD's for the recording, mainly use it for faster loading times in games and faster performance there.

Quote Pyrostasis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by 

The only advantages a Titan has over the 980 or 970 is the amount of video memory (6GB vs 4GB) and double precision floating point operations. Neither of those are needed for your application. 2GB of VRAM is good enough for your application, so 4GB on the 980 and 3.5GB + 0.5GB on the 970 is more than adequate.

If you want a quiet build, I'd recommend going for a semi-passive configuration. Here is what I changed in your build:

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1143261
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Non-Window Metal Side Panel)
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I switched the power supply to the Corsair AX1500i...it is overly powerful and costs a bit more but is semi-passive and the fan doesn't turn on a lower power loads. Same thing with the GPU...I switched you over to the ASUS GTX 980 STRIX, which doesn't run the fans until the chip reaches higher temperatures. The fans are optimized for cool operation, too.

ASUS has excellent fan control and optimization on their motherboard which can completely stop the fans when the system is at low temperatures, so you're good to go there. The CPU I changed to the better air cooler...you can take advantage of the motherboard being able to spin down the fans and the large area of the heat sink can still convect away heat when the fans aren't on (it also doesn't have the pump noise that is always on). The upgraded fans are mostly there for aesthetics and they are in a closed case, so I saved a little money there. The Obsidian 550D case already has noise dampening material in it, so you only need stage one, where they optimize the fan speeds (hopefully they enable the fans to be stopped completely, but that is an easy thing to do yourself, if needed). I also removed the spinning drive (noise & heat) and changed your config to a single 1TB SSD for greater reliability (it still has ample performance).

Overclocking will work against your need for extremely quiet operation. It will generate a good deal more heat and require that much more effort from the cooling system to remove it. An un-overclocked system has the best performance-to-efficiency ratio.

Air cooling over liquid?

I thought liquid was always quieter?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:08pm
No, liquid has a higher heat capacity than air so it can move heat away from a source more rapidly (although heat pipes can be more efficient, but to an extent, and that gets into the weeds). Basically, if you do not have a large overclock on a processor, either an air cooler or a liquid cooler will work. The air cooler has the advantage, as I stated above, of having a larger serface area to convect away heat when a fan is not blowing on it.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 9:28am
It does seem to be a personal preference to some extent. I think huge air coolers are an eyesore. For not a lot of money ( compared to the system price) you can get a Corsair closed loop cooler. My current PC has had one in it for 3 years with no issues, so I am quite happy with it and it's performance. My buddy put one of those big Noctua coolers in it, and I did not care for it BUT it does the job - he ran Furmark CPU burner and it stayed reasonably cool

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 9:58am
I agree with michaelj  about it being a personal choice.   They both get the job done and while I actually like the looks of those behemoth coolers Big%20Smile  I can see where others don't.  I've been pushing the air coolers like Noctua, my A70, etc for years on the forum because of tops in reliability but the closed loops have come a long way from the earlier years.  

I might actually go with a closed loop in my next rig, for something new to play with.   Hahaha

There is no bad pick. 

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Feb 2015 at 9:58am
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 6:42pm
I have a Noctura, and I love it.  To me it says power.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Mouseguard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mouseguard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 4:58pm
Noctua rocks, have one in my rig. A good choice.
Baby Bear
Corsair Air 540
i7-6700k @ 4.5 gHz
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
16 gb 2666 MHz ram
Corsair HX1000i
800 GB Intel 750 series NVM-e
(2) GTX 980ti Asus Strix Edition graphics
Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
 Post Reply Post Reply