FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Haven't built a gaming rig in 5 years

Post Date: 2014-10-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bullet100 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Haven't built a gaming rig in 5 years
    Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 5:09pm
I'm rather experienced with working on computers but I haven't built a gaming rig in years. Decided this time I'm going to let someone else do it for me and I heard good things about Digital Storm. It's hard to keep up with the ever growing technology, so I'm here for a little advice and opinions about my setup.

Before I go into the guts of my build I need to say a few things. First off I'm going to be using many of the peripherals I already own so no need in mouse, keyboard, monitors, etc. Same goes for the hard drives I'm sitting on two SSD's and two WD Blacks that run just fine. No need to replace them either.

Budget:
~$2500

Expectations:
The typical great performance that will last me another 5 years or more and have the room to upgrade if need be.

Usage:
Primarily hardcore gaming and rendering/editing videos/photo's with lots of multi-tasking. Dual-monitor display at 1080p, hopefully upgrading to 4k in the future.

Special Needs:
I would prefer a quiet computer with great cooling. That's why I'm going with the Obsidian.

Configuration Code:     1065857
Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1065857

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Military-Grade TUF Components)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (128GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooler Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

I do have some simple questions that I'm hoping some of you could answer.
-When do you think the GTX 980 SC ACX will be available on here? Within the Halloween sale hopefully?
-How long will the Halloween sale last? Will there be another sale possibly Black Friday? Should I wait?
-For memory, I'm stuck between the 2400MHz and the 1866MHz. What benefits do each have and is it worth it?
-Never OC'd before and never owned watercooling. What should I know? Did I choose ok?

Thanks!

Edited by bullet100 - 17 Oct 2014 at 6:14am
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 6:56pm
Welcome to DS, not sure how long the halloween sale will last or when the next sale will be next. With what you chose for the cooler you don't have to worry about maintenance as its pre-filled and sealed.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 3:21am
We normally recommended the 1866 over the 2400 ram for gaming, but your other apps might make good use of the faster ram.   Not a big difference either way, but can help.

Just be aware, the 240mm radiator with that cpu cooler will mount under the top, meaning the top acoustic, sound deadening panel has to be removed for the fans to exit the heat.   The 550d is as quiet as it is because of the top and side panels remaining on. It will still be relatively quiet, just not as quiet, depending on the fan speeds.

Good luck.
bullet100 View Drop Down

Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 7:41am
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking of changing to the 'GTX 970 SC ACX' instead of the 980, not only because it's much cheaper, but the ability to SLI it in the near future sounds great. I'll probably just go with the 1866MHz memory because it's $52 cheaper and because of your advice.

Is there pictures of the Slade with the H100 cooler? Would it be better to just go with "Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Cooler"? I'm gonna look around...but in the meantime I do have some more questions.

-With the Stage 1 CPU boost, is the 'Twister Boost' a program? Can that also OC the GPU (instead of PrecisionX)? How easy is it to use?
-The OS Boost, "Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system", Is there a list of what exactly is modified?

Thanks again
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 7:54am
Read this customer review.  It has the Slade 550d with a 240mm rad....

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/slade-my-digital-storm-review-tidf18804/

For stage 1 oc, the 120mm rad, mounted to the inside back wall will work just fine.  I like the added airflow for the case with the top mounted rad, but if your graphics cards aren't the twin fan ACX version in sli, then no problem. 

I believe the Twister Boost is DS's way of saying, overclocked in the Bios.    Not a separate program, but the motherboard's built in adjustments.    They save the oc settings in a Profile in the Bios so you can drop it for troubleshooting and put it back later.

The twister boost won't help with the gpu.  For gpu oc'ng, I think they use Precision X or MSI Afterburner, but not 100%.

I don't know what they tweak for OS boost, but I wouldn't do it.  The rig comes in bloat free and I'd rather decide for myself.

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 16 Oct 2014 at 7:57am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 8:01am
Just saw your mentioning of the ACX card .......The ACX cards are real nice, with lower card temp, etc but they will dump a good percentage of their heat right into the case, instead of directly out the back, like the single fan, reference type card.  For a single card, that might not matter, but in sli, that's a lot of extra heat for a closed up case.

The 550D does have the option to have added fans mounted to the top and sides, if needed. 
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 9:39am
Here are a bunch of benchmarks of the 970 vs 980. It should be noted that the 970 used in the benchmarks is an EVGA "For The Win" (FTW), their current factory overclocked top of the line part. That compares to the 980 being a stock graphics card: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1351

Also, here is a review of that case: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5708/corsair-obsidian-550d-starting-to-specialize

It is a flexible case where you can have lots of airflow when you want it, and quiet when you want it. It has covers over some of the fan ports that can be removed when airflow is needed. This works best if the fans mounted in those location are turned off when doing low power stuff (web browsing), and ramped up with the covers removed when under load (gaming, video rendering).

Edited by danjw1 - 16 Oct 2014 at 9:47am
bullet100 View Drop Down

Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:03pm
Thanks everyone. Made a few changes.
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1065354
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:16pm
Looks good.

The ram and gtx 970 are good choices.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 4:19pm
One more thought, if you don't need it to install old software/games or to play/burn DVDs/CDs, you could go without the optical drive. Or even reuse an old one, if you have a SATA optical drive sitting around.
bullet100 View Drop Down

Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 6:33am
I always had issues with DVD drives in the past so I haven't owned one in several years and nor have I needed one since. Going to remove it haha :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 7:13am
I'm still ticked they dropped the 1.44 MB floppy drive.

I kid. Hahaha
bullet100 View Drop Down

Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:16pm
Just realized if I get it up to $2500 I can save $75. Since I was just $100 off I added a WD hard drive.

Think i'm going to buy this later today, I'm really excited!

Thanks everyone for the assistance :)

Edited by bullet100 - 17 Oct 2014 at 11:17pm
bullet100 View Drop Down

Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 6:47am
I placed my order a few days ago and it's currently in Stage 3. I'm really excited but I just thought about something that I'm not sure could be a problem. Already sent an email to Digital Storm but I'm curious what your opinions are as well.

My GPU selection was a 970 SC ACX, but I plan on doing SLI in the future with the same card. Now my PSU choice was the 850W EVGA SuperNOVA. I'm starting to worry that won't be enough for SLI and any other future upgrades I may make. I can supply a list of devices and peripherals if that would help?

Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 6:58am
The 850 watt Super Nova is plenty.  Sli 970 recommended is a 700W minimum, so you have headroom.   It's possible your rig, with sli,  will only draw 500-550 watt, but DS will let you know if there's a problem when they load test it.    Those cards are stingy on power needs, maybe 145 watt each. 

I think you're good to go. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Oct 2014 at 7:44am
bullet100 View Drop Down

Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:55am
Thanks for the quick response. That makes me feel much better. I also just got an email from a Technician who said, "This 850w will be more than enough to add a second 970 in there and run them in SLI".

Hopefully, considering all the stuff I have, this is true.

Thanks again ^^
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 11:04am
My pleasure. Big%20Smile   What kind of stuff do you have?   Drives add very little , maybe 5-10 watts per, and things like monitors, printers use their own juice from the wall. 

bullet100 View Drop Down

Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 11:42am
I'll be adding one HDD and two SSDs along with a 'Creative Sound Blaster Z' PCIe card. Also a Logitech Orion Spark (when it comes out) and the new Logitech G402 mouse. Now that I think about it I really don't have that many devices that are powered by the computer itself.

I'm feeling pretty good about this now.
 Post Reply Post Reply