Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
B5GkarNarn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by EdH63

Originally posted by B5GkarNarn

Yes, I am using Windows Firewall.  It is more than sufficient.  Spyware Doctor is, as I said, an all-in-one.  It provides your antivirus and a program called "IntelliGuard".  IntelliGuard offers you a very flexible settings platform to monitor your programs so that everything is taken care of.  Go to their site and read-up on it.  It's comprehensive enough to do the job, yet non-invasive where it goes protocol crazy.Spy Sweeper is a program that has some redundant features but monitors a little differently. I use, as others will too, a variety of different programs that will overlap to some degree in their functionality.  This is because different programs will catch different things, so it's good to be redundant when it comes to these types of programs.  I will run some more than others, but they all get used. I think one thing we want to keep in mind when it comes to protecting our investments is that there is less of a need to protect yourself from hackers as there is a need to protect yourselves from spyware, viruses and accumulated junk files and bad registry entries.  These are the things that most commonly occur that will corrupt your system. If you take a program like Zone Alarm, which I had, and you look at the data file produced in the area of that program that allows you to review all the "attacks" against your computer, it can look like the freaking world is trying to get into your system.  However, that is the misconception.  The reality is firewall programs like ZA pick-up and register every hit that taps your IP port just passing by.  In other words, every time someone surfs by your IP port going somewhere else, ZA will register that as an attack and file it in the data center.  It is not an "attack", rather your FW registering the active hit in the port itself as the user moves by the line.  Custom firewalls can very expensive and generally unnecessary unless you are truly protecting yourself form hackers.  If you are protecting yourself against hackers then you won't be Joe User Americana. Windows FW is more than sufficient.

I greatly appreciate your explanation about ZA's firewall.  Thank you very much, Ed.

One of the things that pisses me off about ZoneAlarm is that it is known not to respond well when you run other antispyware software.  I would like to be able to run multiple antispyware programs so I'm definitely going to look at other options besides ZoneAlarm. 
Let me suggest not having more than one antivirus running at once.  Running multiple antivirus programs can cause conflicts.  You can run multiple spyware programs and not have that conflict though.  There are many sufficient and worthy programs out there, but like Harleyman and DST have mentioned many times on these forums before, get a paid version above all.  There are many to pick from and it can get quite confusing but, remember this, they all do relatively the same things.  Some have better reviews than others and that is what many will go by.  As DST promotes, eset has a great 30 day try-buy and is highly rated as one of the best.  You'll just need to pick one and be happy with the choice.  I believe there has been enough talk about a handful of these programs concertedly for you to land on one very good choice. 

My wife shares my PC with me and she runs software and has data that is extremely valuable for her business. Losing any of this data would be a catastrophe. Therefore, the security software (plus regular backups) are highly important. If it were only me using the PC for gaming, email, etc. - then I wouldn't be so concerned.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 10:13pm

Yes, I am using Windows Firewall.  It is more than sufficient.  Spyware Doctor is, as I said, an all-in-one.  It provides your antivirus and a program called "IntelliGuard".  IntelliGuard offers you a very flexible settings platform to monitor your programs so that everything is taken care of.  Go to their site and read-up on it.  It's comprehensive enough to do the job, yet non-invasive where it goes protocol crazy.Spy Sweeper is a program that has some redundant features but monitors a little differently. I use, as others will too, a variety of different programs that will overlap to some degree in their functionality.  This is because different programs will catch different things, so it's good to be redundant when it comes to these types of programs.  I will run some more than others, but they all get used. I think one thing we want to keep in mind when it comes to protecting our investments is that there is less of a need to protect yourself from hackers as there is a need to protect yourselves from spyware, viruses and accumulated junk files and bad registry entries.  These are the things that most commonly occur that will corrupt your system. If you take a program like Zone Alarm, which I had, and you look at the data file produced in the area of that program that allows you to review all the "attacks" against your computer, it can look like the freaking world is trying to get into your system.  However, that is the misconception.  The reality is firewall programs like ZA pick-up and register every hit that taps your IP port just passing by.  In other words, every time someone surfs by your IP port going somewhere else, ZA will register that as an attack and file it in the data center.  It is not an "attack", rather your FW registering the active hit in the port itself as the user moves by the line.  Custom firewalls can very expensive and generally unnecessary unless you are truly protecting yourself form hackers.  If you are protecting yourself against hackers then you won't be Joe User Americana. Windows FW is more than sufficient.

I greatly appreciate your explanation about ZA's firewall.  Thank you very much, Ed.

One of the things that pisses me off about ZoneAlarm is that it is known not to respond well when you run other antispyware software.  I would like to be able to run multiple antispyware programs so I'm definitely going to look at other options besides ZoneAlarm. 
Let me suggest not having more than one antivirus running at once.  Running multiple antivirus programs can cause conflicts.  You can run multiple spyware programs and not have that conflict though.  There are many sufficient and worthy programs out there, but like Harleyman and DST have mentioned many times on these forums before, get a paid version above all.  There are many to pick from and it can get quite confusing but, remember this, they all do relatively the same things.  Some have better reviews than others and that is what many will go by.  As DST promotes, eset has a great 30 day try-buy and is highly rated as one of the best.  You'll just need to pick one and be happy with the choice.  I believe there has been enough talk about a handful of these programs concertedly for you to land on one very good choice. 

My wife shares my PC with me and she runs software and has data that is extremely valuable for her business. Losing any of this data would be a catastrophe. Therefore, the security software (plus regular backups) are highly important. If it were only me using the PC for gaming, email, etc. - then I wouldn't be so concerned.

I hear ya.  You've got to do what secures your peace of mind the most.  Keep in mind, typical users, you and I, are in the majority as it relates to the least of those in cyberspace to worry about.  The professional hacker, the one who writes specific code to access data banks are looking for highly secure points i.e, FBI & CIA data banks, banking institutions, insurance companies, mortgage companies, retail stores (Macy's, Neiman Marcus, etc) and high-end brokering firms that transact millions of dollars everyday.  They aren't looking for little ol you and me in our homes for the big score.

Nevertheless, if you're banking online and storing sensitive information on your hard drives, then you do what you need to do to maintain it.  Just know that no matter how secure you get it, there is a hacker out there in a dark sweaty hut in the Philippines somewhere writing code to hack it.  That doesn't negate the need to address it though with security.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 4:04am
I wouldn't say that at all, not everyone is financially motivated.

Personally, I would rather have control of 100k+ regular users computers than 1 Gov/Mil or Bank computer.

Reason?  Lower risk, tons of targets available, financial gain (if desired) could be big if done right, can be used for ddos, proxy, botnet server, etc etc...

Edited by venom - 16 Oct 2009 at 4:07am
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 9:54am
However, Venom, that's your speculative opinion of it.  The fact is, that's not where the pro hacker is targeting their efforts.  The yields are higher in the corporate environment with one hit and you're less likely to be traced quickly.  What can happen, and why you do want to secure your position, is that a hacker will use your IP to run to the target and make it seem as if it were you hacking.  This happens and it hides the hacker long enough to get the need met.  All of the sudden you have the FBI knocking on your door asking you questions... this happens.

What we need to worry about is the knuckle-head sitting outside in his/her car with a laptop in our neighborhoods, or the neighbor next door riding your net's backbone on unsecured lines looking into your information. As you had mentioned in a prior thread, encrypted backbones can be hacked, but your typical knuckle-head trying to get in isn't always savvy enough to know how to do that.  And, odds are those doing this are fewer in numbers and pose no real general threat.

Now, if you were outside my door with a laptop doing it then I would know you could because of your background, but then I'd have to kill you and we would miss you here and I'd have to tell my story and explain it, and quite frankly, that's just a bit more than I want to deal with.  So please don't do that and we can all be happy here.

Evil%20Smile   

Edited by EdH63 - 04 Nov 2009 at 10:01pm
riffraff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote riffraff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 5:51pm
I don't know how much better the Vista or 7 firewall is but unless it is greatly improved, IMO, it is far, from "sufficient".  I have never had a conflict with ZoneAlarm on my XP system,  IMO get the free version, as I understand it, the free version is every bit as secure as the paid version(or almost), the free version just doesn't have all the features and customizibility as the free version.  I have used the paid version of ZA but have been useing the free version for a long time now.  I also can't say how the free ZA version for 7 will interact with 7.  Last time I checked, the free version for 7 was not available yet or still in Beta.

My opinions only, YMMV

riffraff
Q'plah
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by riffraff

I don't know how much better the Vista or 7 firewall is but unless it is greatly improved, IMO, it is far, from "sufficient".  I have never had a conflict with ZoneAlarm on my XP system,  IMO get the free version, as I understand it, the free version is every bit as secure as the paid version(or almost), the free version just doesn't have all the features and customizibility as the free version.  I have used the paid version of ZA but have been useing the free version for a long time now.  I also can't say how the free ZA version for 7 will interact with 7.  Last time I checked, the free version for 7 was not available yet or still in Beta.

My opinions only, YMMV

riffraff

Well, you can't quantify or qualify "sufficient" without actuarial data to back it up, just as I cannot.  However, if your perspective is coming from what you think; your opinion, and this is what you've already stated, then trying to compare one to the other carries no weight in helping one make a decision to use one over the other.

I can say because of my experience with the two, Windows Firewall and ZA, that both worked well because nothing made it through.  Yet, my limited experience of them both is based on the factual evidence that most of the "attempts" made to get in your system are perpetrated by false hits made by net surfing and port tapping along the way.  That really isn't a good litmus test to prove the points that we'd like to see now in this conversation; whether or not the firewalls actually stopped a legitimate attempt.  The reality is that antivirus software companies promote their product on the basis that your system will be safer with more protection, but the chance of you getting nailed by someone that wants something on your computer is slim.  Your desire to protect vs the actual need is going to overwhelm your ability to see that less is sufficient.  That's why I say, "less is sufficient."

I think because software companies produce programs that are coded with multiple layers of prophylactic protection that weave and embed its every tentacle deep into our system's registries, we can convince ourselves that more is better.  I believe that for what we use our systems for everyday, less is sufficient.  Heavily coded antivirus programs that leave large footprints are not always necessary but,  that's the beauty of capitalism.  We have the right to make a product and sell it for 10 times its cost.  Even if it's not worth it.

Evil%20Smile  

Edited by EdH63 - 04 Nov 2009 at 10:29pm
riffraff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote riffraff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:09pm

My opinions only, YMMV

riffraff

Well, you can't quantify or qualify "sufficient" without actuarial data to back it up, just as I cannot.  However, if your perspective is coming from what you think; your opinion, and this is what you've already stated, then trying to compare one to the other carries no weight in helping one make a decision to use one over the other.

I can say because of my experience with the two, Windows Firewall and ZA, that both worked well because nothing made it through.  Yet, my limited experience of them both is based on the factual evidence that most of the "attempts" made to get in your system are perpetrated by false hits made by net surfing and port tapping along the way.  That really isn't a good litmus test to prove the points that we'd like to see now in this conversation; whether or not the firewalls actually stopped a legitimate attempt.  The reality is that antivirus software companies promote their product on the basis that your system will be safer with more protection, but the chance of you getting nailed by someone that wants something on your computer is slim.  Your desire to protect vs the actual need is going to overwhelm your ability to see that less is sufficient.  That's why I say, "less is sufficient."

I think because software companies produce programs that are coded with multiple layers of prophylactic protection that weave and embed its every tentacle deep into our system's registries, we can convince ourselves that more is better.  I believe that for what we use our systems for everyday, less is sufficient.  Heavily coded antivirus programs that leave large footprints are not always necessary but,  that's the beauty of capitalism.  We have the right to make a product and sell it for 10 times its cost.  Even if it's not worth it.

Evil%20Smile  

The beauty of ZA is that it is not nearly as invasive to your system as a product like NORTON is. 

I agree with you 1000000000%, more is not necessarily better(whooo wheee I bet that statement is going to rub some gamers the wrong way).  IF the Win 7 firewall is improved enough from the XP firewall, I will not feel the need to use the ZA product.

Now, she is usually talking well below my head when it comes to computers, but I like to listen to her on the radio while I am doing crap around the domocile.  If Kim Komando mentions something like that the Win 7 firewall is 'better' than previous versions, I might forgo a 'better' firewall such as the ZA.  I will also be reading MAXIMUM PC to see what they have to say.  I can't recall any specifics about their opinions of the Win 7 firewall so far.

riffraff
Q'plah
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:23pm

My opinions only, YMMV

riffraff

Evil%20Smile  

The beauty of ZA is that it is not nearly as invasive to your system as a product like NORTON is. 

I agree with you 1000000000%, more is not necessarily better(whooo wheee I bet that statement is going to rub some gamers the wrong way).  IF the Win 7 firewall is improved enough from the XP firewall, I will not feel the need to use the ZA product.

Now, she is usually talking well below my head when it comes to computers, but I like to listen to her on the radio while I am doing crap around the domocile.  If Kim Komando mentions something like that the Win 7 firewall is 'better' than previous versions, I might forgo a 'better' firewall such as the ZA.  I will also be reading MAXIMUM PC to see what they have to say.  I can't recall any specifics about their opinions of the Win 7 firewall so far.

riffraff

... And in no way am I saying that ZA, Snorton, Smacafee or any other comprehensive program are bad programs.  I've had them all at onetime or another and all seemed to work just fine.  Rather, what I'm saying is I think they're all overkill for what Joe User really needs.  I use PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus and Windows Firewall and all is well.  You see, I still went and bought another comprehensive program and really didn't need to.  Ok, I can be a Lemming too! 

If we want to really reduce this down to the sticky syrup in the bottom of the sauce pan, all we actually need to protect ourselves against are viruses, Trojans and spyware.  There are no hackers looking to access your rig to get your porn... lol!  Well, maybe the porn on DST's rig.  That's some nasty stuff from what I hear... LOL!

Smile

Edited by EdH63 - 05 Nov 2009 at 10:11pm
riffraff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote riffraff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:30pm

As this is a very 'civilized' forum, I can't post the URL to my favorite porn site.SmileConfusedShockedHeartLOL

Q'plah
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 9:36pm
Which porn the one in the 500GB HDD or the videos in the 750GB?

damn word gets around real quick

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 1:33pm
On a more serious note, which security software do you feel safe doing online banking with? 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 2:17pm
not sure what you mean by that, other then firewall, banking on line does not use any security software.

I use eset smart security that has both a great av and firewall.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 3:29pm
DST is right, there is no software that you bank with that will "secure" you in any way.  The site itself is secured that you bank on and that has nothing to do with you.  I do all my banking, bill-paying, stocks, etc online.  Transacting online is a risk everyone takes.  There have been many occurrences where certain retail company's data bases have been compromised.  Literally millions of customer's information are in that data base and then they become the property of a hacker.  This is the risk we all run.  However, you could still be compromised even if you don't transact over the internet.  All you have to do is pay onetime with your credit card at Macy's and you're in their database.  Enter hacker and he has the info anyway.   

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 5:35pm

DST is right, there is no software that you bank with that will "secure" you in any way.  The site itself is secured that you bank on and that has nothing to do with you.  I do all my banking, bill-paying, stocks, etc online.  Transacting online is a risk everyone takes.  There have been many occurrences where certain retail company's data bases have been compromised.  Literally millions of customer's information are in that data base and then they become the property of a hacker.  This is the risk we all run.  However, you could still be compromised even if you don't transact over the internet.  All you have to do is pay onetime with your credit card at Macy's and you're in their database.  Enter hacker and he has the info anyway.   
I'm very concerned about the security of online banking after I read this article on the Wahington Post's website stating that FBI Director Robert Mueller was scared away from doing online banking after he fell victim to a phishing scam: 
riffraff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote riffraff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 6:11pm

I'm very concerned about the security of online banking after I read this article on the Wahington Post's website stating that FBI Director Robert Mueller was scared away from doing online banking after he fell victim to a phishing scam: 

The important point here is "he fell victim to a phishing scam".  It is practically impossible to protect 'newbs' from themselves.  Sometimes some folks just have to learn the hard way.  How can Mueller get to be the FBI director and still be such an idiot?  The FBI is after all, all about CRIME is it not?

riffraff
Q'plah
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 6:48pm
You know what, anyone, especially an FBI employee, that makes the choice to move forward on that kind of request via the internet, when it's a known fact that banking institutions never legitimately ask for that kind of information in that way, deserve to get nailed. 

It doesn't cost you a dime to not respond to that and wait until the next day to call your bank and ask if that was a legitimate request.  Considering that the internet is absolutely littered with phishing scams like these should make anyone at the least somewhat cautious and alert.  If you dive into the net without a care in the world thinking that it's some fancy game that you've entered into and nothing could ever go wrong, like my mother, God bless her soul, then you're about to open your eyes to a rude awakening.

I recently bought my 70 year old mom her first nice computer.  She's never had one before this and now she is living la vida loca.  She opens every freaking link on every junk mail she gets, and typically gets herself directed into some porn site or unreputable site that loads her up with spyware.  She thinks its funny when she has to call me and let me know that her system has locked up or she can't get out of some site she arbitrarily got directed to.  She is a 70 year old child without a care on her computer, because she knows I will come over and clean it up for her.

My mother is a perfect example of someone that should NOT bank online because she will respond to every freaking thing that talks to her via the net.  She thinks it's magical and witty.  It's so easy to become complacent behind our keyboards and forget that the euphoria of anonymity is simply a pseudo manifested sense of safety and boldness.  We speak to each other from behind the keyboard in ways that, many times, we would not speak to each other in person.  The net today is what TV was back in the 50's and considered something that would rot your brain.  My mother used to call the TV when I was a kid the idiot box... appropriate today I think. 

Anyway, for an FBI employee to even admit that he was scared away from online banking makes me wonder why the heck he's even in the FBI in the first place.  Aren't those guys supposed to know all about those kinds of scams?  That's not going to scare me away from online banking, but I do not respond to phishing scams either.  The golden rule on the internet when it comes to the security of your personal information is too always call the company in the email to verify the request first... DUH!

Face Book just had a breach the other day and had a phishing scam just like the banking scam.  Some phisherman was posting a link on Face Book asking to please respond to this request to change your login name and password in a certain URL and then spams your friends with the same requests.

If you respond to those kinds of things before actually calling and finding out if it's legit then, I pity the fool!           

Edited by EdH63 - 06 Nov 2009 at 6:51pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 6:49pm

The important point here is "he fell victim to a phishing scam".  It is practically impossible to protect 'newbs' from themselves.  Sometimes some folks just have to learn the hard way.  How can Mueller get to be the FBI director and still be such an idiot?  The FBI is after all, all about CRIME is it not?

riffraff

HAH!  you got your post in before I did.  We're right there on the same page though.  Good thoughts.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 7:24pm
phishing scam some browsers like opera can help you with, but at the end the best thing to do is to know the url to your bank and book mark that url and use that to go to the bank, this way you can't be phished
Al View Drop Down

Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 1:56pm
I've used NOD 32 and windows firewall for the last 5 years and never had it interfere with a game or any other program and have been completely virus free over those 5 years. First thing I did on receiving my new DS machine last week was to install NOD 32. Highly recommend it. Small, non intrusive, easy to use program. $29 a year isn't that much for the peace of mind.
brittmayo View Drop Down

Quote brittmayo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 4:48pm

Anyone have experience with a NOD32/Malwarebytes combination? 

Zain View Drop Down

Quote Zain Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 1:19am
In my small opinion, ESET Nod32 is the best security around. Consider this, if you have spent the money for a great DS machine, is it not worth a few extra bucks to protect it with a good security software?

There are many free options around, but I have found a little money for something that is well researched and supported is a great defense.  Ouch

Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 4:52am
Lol I prefer McAfee
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 10:48am
Anyone trying Microsoft Security Essentials ?   talked to a couple tech support guys about it and they say it is pretty good, 
anyone have any expierence or thoughts about it?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 6:30pm

I run it on all my rigs.. no issues, works well.

Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 2:16am
Does DS offer it??
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 12:46pm
no its from Microsoft
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 1:17pm
I run MS Security Essentials on my laptop (Win 7 64bit) and on my wife's newly reformatted computer (Win XP 32bit).  Seems to work really well with little overhead.  I'm still running AVG on my current computer (Win XP 32bit) but when my new DS system arrives I'm planning on running MS Security Essentials on it. 

ESET is a bit too pricey for me, especially since I'm a very paranoid surfer with very safe computer practices.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Edited by JJJJ_Shabadoo - 11 Jun 2010 at 1:17pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:33pm
Personally I think the best antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials. Its completely free, maybe takes a little longer to clean then AVG Free but works on more advanced virus'.

From http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/65083.aspx?p=2
I’m quite disappointed with AVG’s real-time shield against malware. I transferred 260 malware samples to the test system but AVG only prevented 1 out of 260 malware samples. I opened the folder containing the remaining 259 malware samples but AVG’s real-time protection is not doing what it has to do.

MSE’s real-time protection is much better than AVG: MSE has prevented in real-time a 173 malware samples out of 260. It allowed 87 malware files to be stored in the computer.

To proceed in testing the scanners of AVG and MSE, I run an on-demand scan on the remaining malware files that were not prevented by both programs: MSE is able to detect another 70 malware files, leaving the computer unprotected against 17 threats. AVG’s on-demand scanner detected 229 malware files out of 259, leaving the computer at risk to 30 threats.
Over all, MSE can offer up to 94% of protection while AVG only offers 89% of protection.

Edited by maxyme - 16 Aug 2010 at 9:37pm
Lasthill View Drop Down

Quote Lasthill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 3:57pm
Since I just ordered my system Yesterday Im looking at alot of different Suites for my computer all together. I kind of want to try out Norton but I had it before and it just seemed to never stay updated and always had some time of issue. Im looking at Eset as well as Microsoft security Esentials. Ive read alot of great things about MSE but Im also a subscriber of you get what you pay for. SO I dont know just yet. Any suggestions?
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 10:10pm
AV/Firewal - ESET Anti spyware-webroot Spysweeper 
Mr.
MikeTech View Drop Down

Quote MikeTech Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:28am
I recommend:
AVG
avast!
McAfee
Kaspersky
ESET NOD32
Avira
ZoneAlarm

MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 12:56pm
I know there is some serious hate out there for Symantec...I have quite a lot of it too, but I've been doing fine with the Norton Internet Security software.

I hate having to juggle a dozen different freeware apps to handle security, so Until I run into a problem NIS is going to do it for me.
RogueX View Drop Down

Quote RogueX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 3:48am
Any thoughts on BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011? I was taking a look at that and I found it was given great reviews even made #1 in TopTenReviews? I am also looking for a new suite to purchase. I was using AVG but I had some issues with it recently and it wouldnt allow me to update. I tried to do so several times even check via other programs such as MSE to see if there were any viruses/malware/etc but nothing came up. So I uninstalled AVG. Most people who had the same complaint as myself were unable to uninstall it due to malware latched onto AVG....Anyways long story short I myself am looking for a new suite to test out with prior to buying my rig at tax season. If the Suite is good enough I will purchase the new suite for my rig.

Advice Sil vous plait?
Will be making when I find 15 mins of play time.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 8:58am
McAffe and AVG left a bad taste in my mouth, I uninstalled them and moved on.
Yhey bot got in the way more than I liked
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 10:16am
Its nearly time to renew my ESET. However I just read PC World's ratings for security suites and it was not kind to ESET. I have had no problems with it at all, but if its not doing the job, would I know?  It ranked ESET 9th out of 10. Has ESET fallen off that much? Just wondering if I should go back to Norton.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>