Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aihnman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aihnman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Good now; better later
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:46am
Budget:
$1,800 ceiling for now. I expect to spend 2 to 4 thousand more by the end of year, depending on what I find I need/want.

Expectations:
Reasonable performance right now. A quiet monster later.

Usage:
My purchase of a computer right now is prompted by Diablo 3. I can somewhat run it in 1366x768 with everything on low, but frankly that's just not good enough. For now, I just want to get that up to 1920x1080. Around January I'd like to add one or two more monitors to allow me to run EVE while I play whatever it is I'm going to play at the time, and have at least the main game running on high settings, if not all 2-3 monitors.

I figured I would take advantage of the labor-free upgrade and send it back in about 6 months from now to get another gtx670, upgrade to an I7 if I find I could use it, get a SSD, and upgrade cooling to a (presumably) quieter liquid cooling and get the noise reduction optimization.

I have very little knowledge of computer components. Most everything I know is from what I've found on the internet since I started looking last week. If I'm missing something or I'm just going about this wrong way, then please let me know.

Special Needs:

Saved Ticket #: 692025

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar) <b></b>
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Solid State Hybrid (By: Seagate) (7200 RPM) (Delivers SSD-like Performance) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High Performance Cooler (Compatible With i5/i7/AMD Processors) <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <b></b>
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Advanced Recovery Kit (40GB Hard Drive Partition of Image With OS & Drivers) <b></b>
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
darbebo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:22pm
interesting how you are trying to get a rig up for d3. Me too, but I do want to pose this question:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1259477/diablo-3-performance-issues-with-a-gtx670

what do you think about the prospects of getting a 670 now?
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:39pm
I slightly side comment.  I currently have a 5 monitor setup and I've found "few" games that actually use the monitors properly.

In truth - single monitor gaming just seems to be much more fun.

I can respect buy now and add later, but waiting till you can get other things now as well like.. with more money or whatnot might be a good call.

Remember, if its about gaming to build the computer around the graphics card.
Teemberland View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Teemberland Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 1:58pm
Well this is a good setup. Now I'm thinking if I should get this build or ODE LVL 2, can anyone chime in on that comparison?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:26pm
Without going line by line,this build has a motherboard able to sli which the ODE 2 can' t do and the ODE has a i7-3770k cpu, bigger HDD and a case with better airflow.   
Teemberland View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Teemberland Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Without going line by line,this build has a motherboard able to sli which the ODE 2 can' t do and the ODE has a i7-3770k cpu, bigger HDD and a case with better airflow.   

Thanks bprat. I'm not really planning on doing SLI in the future, so I'll stick with ODE L2 for now.
kaldoot View Drop Down

Quote kaldoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:49pm
Is there any merit to this hard drive : 500GB Solid State Hybrid

compared to the "normal" HDDs.

On original topic, for gaming the diff. b/w 3570k and 3770k is like 2-3 fps.

Aihnman View Drop Down

Quote Aihnman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by darbebo

interesting how you are trying to get a rig up for d3. Me too, but I do want to pose this question:
what do you think about the prospects of getting a 670 now?

Well, it doesn't seem too bad. Would there be any parallel to the 670 that I would look into getting? Even if the problem doesn't get fixed, I don't really expect do be playing Diablo long. The people I play with are already starting to lean off of it, and I only ever got it so I wouldn't be left behind :P It's just that Diablo 3 reminded me that my computer is getting extremely old.

Edited by Aihnman - 24 May 2012 at 4:44pm
Aihnman View Drop Down

Quote Aihnman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by xii

I slightly side comment.  I currently have a 5 monitor setup and I've found "few" games that actually use the monitors properly.In truth - single monitor gaming just seems to be much more fun.I can respect buy now and add later, but waiting till you can get other things now as well like.. with more money or whatnot might be a good call.Remember, if its about gaming to build the computer around the graphics card.

I have no intention to have a single game on multiple monitors. I have at least two games open at a time right now, when my computer can handle it. The multiple monitors are really more to prevent my needing to alt+tab. The one exception being those few rare occasions where I'm playing just EVE, because that supports multiple monitors exceptionally well.
Aihnman View Drop Down

Quote Aihnman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by kaldoot

Is there any merit to this hard drive : 500GB Solid State Hybridcompared to the "normal" HDDs.On original topic, for gaming the diff. b/w 3570k and 3770k is like 2-3 fps.

If you're running one game, I'm surprised it could make even that much of a difference. But since I intend run at least two, up to four game clients at a time, I believe it can being to make a difference. But, again, I don't know for sure, which is why I'm starting out with the cheaper I5.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:38pm
The problem is solid state hybrid drive says you can not specify which software or what installs actually function within the solid state environment therefore if you're looking for solid state performance get a solid state drive.   Solid state hybrid does not solid state. I can show you a picture of solid state hybrid performance it's all over the place.
Aihnman View Drop Down

Quote Aihnman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by xii

The problem is solid state hybrid drive says you can not specify which software or what installs actually function within the solid state environment therefore if you're looking for solid state performance get a solid state drive.   Solid state hybrid does not solid state. I can show you a picture of solid state hybrid performance it's all over the place.

As long as it's at least as good as a regular HDD 100% of the time, that's fine, as I'm not expecting SSD speeds. I intend to get a SSD, or two, later.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:12pm

This picture shows SSDH's running in raid.

The blue line should be closer to a straight line with peaks and valleys looking more like a heartbeat.

As you can see from performance above - not only are they not like HDDs but they arent like SSDs either - I find their performance unreliable.

I just want you to know what you are getting.
Aihnman View Drop Down

Quote Aihnman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by xii

This picture shows SSDH's running in raid.The blue line should be closer to a straight line with peaks and valleys looking more like a heartbeat.As you can see from performance above - not only are they not like HDDs but they arent like SSDs either - I find their performance unreliable.I just want you to know what you are getting.

So am I just better off with a HDD?
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:59pm
Its just my opinion and preference. 

If you are gonna flirt with Solid State - why hybrid, just go solid state.

I notice no performance gains from SSH, moreover, this was from the second set of drives I had to get.
Aihnman View Drop Down

Quote Aihnman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:44pm
All right, so I'll stick with a regular HDD for now. I'm guessing there's no terrible holes in the idea, then, since nobody's mentioned anything about what I was scared of (power supply too small, mother board overkill, cooling not strong enough). One thing I forgot to mention, the only room I can get a desk in is excruciatingly hot, especially during the summertime, and I don't know if that effects the computer's cooling at all.

Ah, and monitors. I'm not quite sure what monitors I should be getting. Larger I don't think is always quite better.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:51pm
It does indeed.  (the heat)  If your room is above like 75... you might wanna look at options.  I think if you get good air coolers you should be ok.

Don't forget if you go to order with DS and you talk to them about heating concerns - they can help you with that.  They are supremely qualified.
 Post Reply Post Reply