FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting teh most from my new Slade

Post Date: 2014-03-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Socks223 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Getting teh most from my new Slade
    Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 10:45pm
Originally posted this here
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/how-do-i-get-the-most-out-of-it-tidf22289/

Got no interest.  Maybe I was in the wrong forum, so I'll try here instead.  I just bought a new computer, details here:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/just-pulled-the-trigger-tidf22277/

It's in Stage 6 right now.  So I'm wondering, though, about tips and tricks to get the most out of it.  Will be running Windows 7.1 professional, using a Unicomp 101-keyboard and Kensington Expert Mouse (large trackball) and Dell u2412M monitor.  Looking for ideas about system maintenance software and any other hints you guys might have.  For example:

What system maintenance software should I use?  I read a lot of good things about Iolo (expensive) and SlimCleaner (free), also CC Cleaner.

How about antivirus?  I have Malwarebytes and love it.  Is there anything else I should look at?

What programs/data should I put on my SSD, and what should I put on my HDD?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 2:16am
Socks... As I posted in another thread, I use Malwarebytes along with SUPERAntiSpyware for my malware/spyware detection. You should also look for CCleaner... One of the best clean up tools you'll find anywhere.

Also, as I posted in another thread... from what I understand the OS goes on the SSD, with a few games (FPS would benefit most from the speed of the OS), but everything else on the HDD. Music, video and pictures especially.

Personally, I only have the OS on my SSD, everything else from Office to Steam are on the HDD on my VanquishII 4.

As to your other questions, I've never run Win7 (jump straight from XP to 8.1) or run a Slade so I will be of no help.

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 4:11am
Along with ccleaner and malwarebytes i use mse as my antivirus and i haven't had any issues
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 12:11pm
Thanks!  I'm a real noob when it comes to multiple HDs and all this high-end stuff.  (My last computer game was Mission Critical played on a DX4 machine from Acer).  If you don't mind some more noob questions:

1.  The different drives still get identified by different letters, yes?

2.  OS handles all the desktop and program connections through target destinations on the icon or program list?  (E, G, whatever)?

3.  How, generally speaking, does one put a program on the SSD but the program's data on the HDD?  (I'm thinking of Itunes, and my extensive word processing -- I'd like to keep the music and finished files on the HDD and the program and in-progress backups on the SSD).  Should the sofware OEMs provide those instructions or is it sort of a custom workaround?

Edited by Socks223 - 27 Mar 2014 at 12:40pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 2:08am
Socks, I can only speak for the Vanquish level, but it has SSD (C:) and HDD (E:) with the CD/DVD as (D:)

When installing anything that not's part of the OS, I have defaulted to install to E:... everything.  I don't separate data files from exe. files and think that would be a waste.

I'm probably wrong on this, but the only things that will benefit from the speed of the SSD is the OS and FPS twitch games.  Im sure there are better ways of doing it.

AFAIK, when installing additional drives, they will be assigned drive letters F: and  upward.

Edited by Snaike - 29 Mar 2014 at 2:08am
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 2:28pm
Thanks, Snaike.  I still want to put Itunes and browser on the SDD if I can -- Itunes takes forever to load and my music files are already at 300GB!
 Post Reply Post Reply