Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCrowder View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCrowder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming/School PC Help
    Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:24pm
Budget:
$875 have a keyboard and mouse already

Expectations:
Hoping to use it for school and gaming. Would like to run dual monitors on it as well.

Usage:
Gaming/School Mostly MMO's like WoW, sadly my current PC's video card
Capacitor blew out and I had to replace it with a 512mb card...

Special Needs:
No real special needs

I was looking at the Vanquish II level 1 and debating if it would work, and if so what kind of FPS I would be looking at for MMO style games as opposed to shooters/adventure as I play most of those on my console.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:05am

WoW is old, so I don't think you need much GPU power. The R7 260 seems like a good choice in the general budget range, so I can't come up with any complaints there. It even seems like it could play a lot of modern titles at 1080, but you might need to dial back settings on some games

The card should support dual monitors, most video cards do. You can certainly download a manual for one of the R7 260 cards to see what the outputs are as well as confirming with DS

I don't own any of this hardware, I am saying this based on looking at some reviews

Seems the 6300 was well regarded for a processor, and preferable to the 4300 by a dew people. But they don't offer that, so you would be looking at going with the level 2 offer with the 6350. There's some other improvements as well, but it's a $150 diff.

I am not up on all the AMD CPUs, I was just googling and made these observations

i5 is preferable, but as you see is over your budget, so it's a matter of choosing from the two lowest options.

Edited by michaeljhuman - 22 Jan 2015 at 12:15am
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:36am
The more I read, the more I realize the 3rd level is preferable if there was some way to increase your budget. I understand money can be tight, so don't go spending money you can't afford.

You get the i5, which is less likely to bottleneck the GPU ( that is, that the GPU is held back by the CPU) and the GTX 760, which seems to be a jump from the R7 260. But buy what you can afford, that's the most important thing

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:41am
I would agree with michaeljhuman here... the lvl 3 with the GTX760 would be the better choice if you can stretch the budget.

Remember that you also have to figure in shipping (and tax if in Calif.).

Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 4:45pm
If money is real tight and you need a level 1 or 2.

Do not get the Vanquish line unless it is level 3 and above.

Wow does badly on AMD processors compared to Intel processors.

You will not be happy with your system.

Get the Eclipse level 1 or 2.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 9:16pm
If you wait a little until the GTX 760 inventory depletes, it will probably get replaced on the lvl 3 Vanquish and Eclipse by the GTX 960 that was introduced today.

Edited by  - 22 Jan 2015 at 9:16pm
Chino View Drop Down

Quote Chino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:45am
IMO, the 760 is better than 960...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 1:35pm
While the 960 isn't quite the card most expected, it's still faster in gaming, cooler, quieter, less power usage and cheaper than the 760. I haven't seen a gaming or synthetic bench that shows otherwise.   The 760 does have a wider memory bandwidth and more texture fill rate but the 960's new architecture compensates for some of it. The 960 also has lighting features and other perks for developers to use.

It's not worth upgrading for most from a 760 but from a gtx 5xxx or gtx 660, it is. It does match the 770 in some games but not most.

A 256 bit bus and more vram would've sealed the deal, but for $200, still a decent performer on 1080p.   
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 10:49pm
It also will support DirectX 12 (NVIDIA has stated the new 900-series cards will all support it), has an HDMI 2.0 port, supports HDCP 2.2, has a lower power draw, and has support for new features used in games optimized for NVIDIA cards (DSR, MFAA, VR Direct, and VXGI).
 Post Reply Post Reply