FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming Rig...Need Help

Post Date: 2012-02-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
crawlins View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Rig...Need Help
    Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:53pm
Budget:
Roughly $2500

Usage:
Mainly gaming. MMOs for the most part. I'm planning on purchasing a 27in monitor to go with the system in the very near future.

Special Needs:
Looking to to future as well. Want it to last a few years before needing too much.

A few questions before I post the config I have thought about.

1. I want to go with a blue setup. So with the system I have, if I want the red fan removed and a blue one in its place do I have to special order the blue edition of the case?

2. Does the motherboard I have picked out work with everything I have listed?

3. I know I don't need 16gb of RAM for gaming, but I figured why not just get it for the future since it is not too much more. What does this RAM look like? (I know, it is just appearance, but it is important to me)

4. With the two HDs...I know I have the OS on the first one...would putting my game on it as well make load times for it faster as well...and then just use the other HD for storage of other files?

5. The Air Stage 2 is not listed anymore when trying this build...can I request it anyway? Or is it just out of stock...because I really wanted the one I list below.

Well here is what I have, let me know what you think...and thank you in advance!

Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,504.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue) <b></b>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)  <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 015-P3-1582-BR) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue) <b></b>
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard) <b></b>
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - I'll pick one out when I order
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Edited by crawlins - 25 Feb 2012 at 9:55pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 10:33pm
1. You're going to have to special order the large blue fans for it, yep. That would be done in the comments section (or email DSO just to be really sure you're getting it), selecting blue case fans I think just installs 120mms.

2. Mobo looks like it's fine.

3. Can't specifically confirm what brand is DS certified at the moment...dang I'm behind now lol.

4. Putting your games on the SSD does help with load times quite a bit, yep.

5. Air stage 2...was that the Noctua D-14? If that's it, I think a bunch of those have been failing on shipments, given its bulk. Not completely sure, I need to pay attention to these forums more Oops

I think that build looks pretty solid.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 10:35pm
Thanks for the reply!

The Air Stage 2 is the Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
Right now it is not showing it as available...I just had the build done yesterday, and now when I try it it is not listed.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 10:43pm
Hmm...that is odd, I'm not sure why that's gone. Hoping for Alex to chime in on that >.>
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 11:18pm
Sorry guys, Corsair discontinued their air coolers to focus on liquid cooling solutions. We still have the A50 in stock.
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Alex

Sorry guys, Corsair discontinued their air coolers to focus on liquid cooling solutions. We still have the A50 in stock.

Darn!

Well, then would stepping up to Stage 2 liquid cooling be best now? I know before most people recommended the A70 instead, but with it gone (and I hate the look of the other stage 2 air) is it best to go with the liquid?

Also, is it possible to get the stage 2 liquid cooler with the DS logo on it? I thought I saw one somewhere.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 6:08am
Hi crawlins....They still have the D14 air cooler which you don't like.  It's more than the A70 was, bigger but also very quiet.  The other solution would be H80/100, which seems to be the way the industry is going. 

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Feb 2012 at 6:10am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 5:50pm
The Noctua D14 is a great cooler, the Corsair H80/H100 are also great. I would personally recommend the Corsair liquid coolers as they don't cover the memory slots like the Noctua.

We use to have the DS logo on the coolers, however, at this time, we're no longer using that company and are buying Corsair coolers.
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:28pm
Thanks Alex.
I'll probably go with the H80. I will probably call tomorrow and discuss a few things before I make the purchase. Is that fine? What time is best? I'm CST.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:41pm
Sounds great! Monday's are usually very busy for us, as we're closed on the weekends. I would recommend a good time-frame to call would be at 2:00PM (PST).

However, you can always call, leave a message via our message feature, etc..
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:09pm
I'll probably get some time to call here in a little while.

I was thinking...I want the blue fan in the front so I was going to special order the blue edition of the HAF...but maybe I could go with the regular one and just replace the front fan myself. I only want blue fans in both the top spots as well as that front one anyway, so that might be better. I want a black fan in the door and one in the mid section (not sure how to explain that spot in the case).

How would I end up explaining the fan placements I want...do I just use the special section at the bottom to try explaining it? Also, with the H80, it uses the back fan spot for its radiator and fan right?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:48pm
Hi Everyone,

I would request the Noctua NH-UI2P-SE2 as a replacement for the A-70. It is a two fan cooler that was used by DS before they hooked up with Corsair. It is equal to performance and is quieter than the A-70. It was the preferred cooler for some time.

crawlins, I think the H80 is mounted where the rear exhaust fan mounts. The H100 rad is mounted on the top front fan location. If I was using the H80 I experiment with rad mounted on the back and the two top fans blowing in instead of out. Then add a 120mm fan between the HDD cage and the GPUs blowing on the GPUs. This 120mm fan aids in bringing the cool air from the front 230mm fan onto the GPUs. This is a non-standard setup but some have reported good results with this setup. I have not tried it myself.

Frank
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:20pm
Ok....so I called in...

I was told that they could not help me on the phone with questions and that I had to email someone to ask questions. I said I was about to order but wanted to clear a couple things up and the lady told me that I have to email and she couldn't help me...so is that not allowed? :(

Edited by crawlins - 27 Feb 2012 at 3:22pm
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:29pm
So I guess I'll just post my questions here and hope I get the ordering done right.

1. Should I proceed with special ordering the Blue edition of the HAF or would it be much faster and cheaper to go with the regular one and just replace the front fan myself? If I should special order, how do I do that?

2. I want specific fan placement...how do I put that in the order? Example: I want Blue fans in front and top, the rest all black. I also want a black fan in the door and by the HDD cage.

3. What does the Digital Storm Certified Performance Series memory look like? I know it might sound stupid, but I was going with an all blue and black look and was kind of wanting some with little to no red/green/other colors on it.

4. How to I add all this to the notes? Or do they just call/email me with questions as they build the machine?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 8:43am
Hi crawlins...I would just add the fan yourself.  Cheaper and faster.

If you call to place an order they would have to listen to you when you explain the fan arrangment you want.  How can they not??

I guess if they won't talk to you, an email with all your questions would be best, then call and tell them your choices..

They don't give much room for special instuctions so a call might be needed. 

At some point they have to talk to you. 
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:21am
I'm guessing the lady must have been new or something. I even got an email from DS today saying to take advantage of their special they are running and to call with any questions. I told the lady I wanted to purchase but had a couple questions first...she kept telling me she could not help me without my purchase number.

But I submitted the same questions I asked in my last post to customer service yesterday, just waiting to hear back from them...I'm getting excited to get the machine being built :)

I will probably go ahead with just putting in the fan myself and not special order the blue edition.

Does anyone know what the memory they would be using for the 16gigs of DS certified RAM?

also

If I purchase the Blue LED fans, will that work for just doing the top two fans in the case?

Edited by crawlins - 28 Feb 2012 at 9:26am
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:28am
Here is my final build (I hope)..I will be ordering today.
I changed the motherboard for a different one since my last build.

Ticket Number: 660560
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,583.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3  (Intel Z68 Chipset) (Features Intel Quick Sync Technology)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)  <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 015-P3-1582-BR) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition) <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue) <b></b>
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard) <b></b>
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large) <b></b>
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:28am
Forgot the memory question....DS, from my understanding,  uses a number of different vendors, like Corsair, Kingston, etc.  depending on the pricing they can get for large orders. 

That would be another question for them.. Cry

Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:59am
Hi crawlins,

When I  was trying to specify a machine, and before, during and after the actual ordering process I had a number of phone calls and email exchanges with Rajeev in CS who was very knowledgeable and helpful. That's the kind of service you're paying for and should expect from a company like DS. You already have a config number as a basis for discussion so there should be no problems.

As bprat22 says the memory may vary depending on current pricing and whether you're using an air cooler or not (clearance issues). On my machine, built last Dec with an H80, DS used black Adata gaming memory with pretty tall heat spreaders. You really need to talk with someone who actually knows what they'll use.

Marty
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 12:06pm
I went ahead and put the order through and talked with a representative on the phone. They set me all up and I'm in stage 1!!! Drooling

I did have to upgrade to the H100 to OC the CPU to stage 2 though, but I am fine with that. They are also replacing the red LED fan in the front for me.

Now to daily refresh my email Crazy

Edited by crawlins - 28 Feb 2012 at 12:18pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 12:10pm
Congrats Awesome
The dreaded waitingCry
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 12:12pm
Awesome
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 12:13pm
Thank you to all of you that helped me. You guys are awesome and a big part of the DS experience!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 1:04pm
Hi crawlins,

Did you get a blue 230mm fan or a 200mm or a 120mm. You need to make sure what size fans you are getting on your case. When you just order the led performance fans I think you get small fans. You are better off to order the Blue HAV case to start with.

You do realize that this system is built for a 1920 x 1080/1200 monitor resolution. If you go to a new 27" monitor your resolution will be 2550 x 1600. If you are serious about the 27" monitor you would be better off with 570 2.5Gb or 580 3Gb. You also need 3 GPUs for total performance but this system won't do that.

So if you are going to stay with the 1920 x 1080 You would get better performance with the 570 2.5Gb instead of the 580 1.5Gb.

Frank
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 1:22pm
Either the 230 or the 200mm fan will fit in that spot, and a few people have told me that the 200mm fan is actually a better performing one. I'm sure it would not be a 120mm...that would not fit. We went over all the fans on the phone, but he didn't specify if the front will be a 230 or 200...but I would guess probably the 200 since they are more common.

The monitor I am looking at is this one:

Model: VX2753MH-LED

This one uses the
1920 x 1080 which should work right? I hope so. If not, I can purchase a different monitor. 

Edited by crawlins - 28 Feb 2012 at 1:22pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 1:56pm
Hi crawlins,

I am thinking the only reason the 200mm blue fan is better performing is because they can't get a 230mm blue fan.

The Viewsonic 27" monitor seems like a good TN monitor. But, not with out some problems. First it is a TN monitor and the IPS monitors give a better picture. It only has HDMI inputs and that is not as desirable as DVI or Display Port.

For the money you are paying for this monitor you would be a lot better off with a Dell 1224 monitor. It has an IPS screen, DVI inputs and just a great gaming monitor. It is smaller but if you go to 27" you should get the 2550 x 1600 resolution.

Frank
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 2:07pm
It wasn't them that told me the 200mm's were better, I read it from a few posts. But they did charge me a few extra bucks because they said they had to take it out of another case to get it...I'm not too worried about it.

The monitor I was not sure about. The Hardware section of these forums doesn't get much action and my question there was never answered. I have no idea about monitors. I may go with that Dell (I like Dell monitors as that is what I use now).

As for the 570s vs the 580...I just figured I could add another 580 if I needed more performance down the road. I was told that the 580 would be fine for 1920 x 1080 and max settings on almost all games...is that true? If not, should I upgrade to a 590?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 2:20pm
This thread is a good place to ask about a monitor. It all has to do with your system.

The 580 will give you a very small improvement over the 570 (a few frames) at your resolution. Not worth the money. The 580 is a better choice for the 2550 x 1600 resolution. You would get the best performance for the least money with the 570 2.5Gb GPUs. The key is your resolution. The addition Vram will help in your game play.

You definitely do not want the 590 under any circumstances.

Frank
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 2:28pm
Do you have any advice for any 27" monitors?

Edit: Actually, a lot of the 27" ones like that are out of my price range. And that Dell was a 16:10 ratio...isn't most gaming done at 16:9?

Edit 2: Maybe looking for a 24" with IPS and DVI that is in 16:9...and run it at 1920x 1080???

Edited by crawlins - 28 Feb 2012 at 2:44pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 3:39pm
crawlins, a 16:10 gives you a 1920 x 1200 resolution. It is a little taller screen than a 1920 x 1080. Most gamers like it because they see a little more screen. If you want a 16x9 then get the Dell 1223HM instead of the 1224HM. These are both the Ultra Sharp IPS monitors.

Frank
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 11:31am
Anyone else want to chime in about a good monitor for my system since the thread in the Hardware section is DOA? I would love to hear others ideas too.
942 HAF X
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz
16GB DS Certified
1050W Corsair Pro Silver
120GB SSD / 1TB Black Edition
GTX 580
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 11:56am
I play on the Dell UltraSharp U2311H IPS monitor and love it .  Great color, sharp and zero game lag.  That's last years version, this year's is U2312M.   The 24" is U 2412M. 

I think they're both on sale now.

Edited by bprat22 - 29 Feb 2012 at 11:57am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 12:45pm
The U2410, U2412M, U2312HM, or U2311H (All Dell UltraSharps) are excellent monitors. I've used all four and I own one of them. Nothing bad to say at all. Awesome
crawlins View Drop Down

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 2:44pm
Thanks guys!

Oh, and my computer is now in Stage 3!!!!! Excited
942 HAF X
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz
16GB DS Certified
1050W Corsair Pro Silver
120GB SSD / 1TB Black Edition
GTX 580
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 4:00pm
Moving right along Boss Big%20SmileAwesome
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>