FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming Monitor: IPS vs. Refresh Rate

Post Date: 2015-05-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Radicalp View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Radicalp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Monitor: IPS vs. Refresh Rate
    Posted: 14 May 2015 at 12:05pm
So my new DS computer (Vanquish Level 4) should be coming in the mail next Tuesday, and I've been thinking that I should probably upgrade my monitor to something a little more gaming worthy.

I recently had some friends tell me that I should get an IPS monitor due to the color replication. However, doing some internet research seemed to imply that a high refresh rate might be more important.

I know that ideally you would probably have the best of both worlds, but since most of my budget went into the actual computer, I'm looking to get the most bang for the buck in a monitor.

I was wondering if anyone would have any insight as to which would be of greater importance, and maybe have any recommendations on a ~$200 monitor that would do well for gaming.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 12:19pm
This is just an opinion, and you'll find I'm not the most technological savvy person here, but if you're buying your vanquish for gaming, I would go for response time over color replication.

If you do a bit of video or photo editing, you would want to invest in the truer colors of an IPS panel. In that case, refresh rates are of a much lower priority.

As your budget allows for a decent 27"+ monitor, I would look at the TN panels.

My 2¢... YMMV ...   
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 3:13pm
Response time is a poor way to judge a Monitor. There is, or at least last I heard, no standard way used to determine response time. Each company uses some magic number that helps to sell monitors. Many of us on this forum use an IPS monitor and have no problems at all with lag or response time. I think that a TN response time is faster. But, what difference does it make if IPS is fast enough. The advantages of color rendition and the viewing angles of an IPS is much more important to me. The bigger the screen of a monitor the more important the viewing angle is. Up till just recently if you wanted a knockout picture then the IPS was the winner no question. I have recently seen some new TN screens that have a really nice screen and look terrific. TN has it over IPS as far as price. But now that someone other than LG is making IPS or IPS like monitors, the IPS prices should be getting better.

Frank
Radicalp View Drop Down

Quote Radicalp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2015 at 4:00pm
Thank you for the suggestions, it helps a lot. I think I will be looking into an IPS display.
 Post Reply Post Reply